Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 24, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #40,291 of 42,788
Yeah I really wish I had the push to get a Poly. For now I would only use SD-card playback so it's an expensive option. I use Hugo 2 when away from TT2, but I still wish I had SD card playback for Mojo. I use a DAP for either Hugo 2 or Mojo.

With having Hugo 2, it sort of makes Mojo redundant for about the home. Sometimes though, Hugo 2 is flat or sometimes I just sit down with Mojo. I have even listened to Mojo while it was sat on top of my TT2. I am emotionally connected to it, because of the way it night and day changed how I listened to music.

I would like Poly also though to be able to use Mojo/poly for out of home. My DAP is OK, but Mojo flattens it.
Is that stronger emotional connection with the Mojo, because the Mojo presents more intimate vocals than the Hugo 2?

May 24, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #40,292 of 42,788
Is that stronger emotional connection with the Mojo, because the Mojo presents more intimate vocals than the Hugo 2?

No. Hugo 2 bests Mojo in every respect.

The Mojo is still excellent though. I am emotionally connected to it because of how much I enjoyed using it, before I bought Hugo 2. I still use Mojo sometimes.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #40,293 of 42,788
No. Hugo 2 bests Mojo in every respect.

The Mojo is still excellent though. I am emotionally connected to it because of how much I enjoyed using it, before I bought Hugo 2. I still use Mojo sometimes.

I'm on the same boat. Thought I'd sell the mojo immediately after getting the hugo 2. I'm keeping it around. Different experience.

May 25, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #40,295 of 42,788
Actually in reply to the question, why did I keep Mojo when I bought Hugo 2, I thought about it more.

Apart from the fact Mojo has been excellent, it was always for back up too. In the case of the Hugo 2 going faulty maybe. I kept it also I think because of potential to use with Poly or Mojo with DAP when out of house.

Mojo is just a special item, and I see no reason to sell it.

May 25, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #40,298 of 42,788
Eh I've tried both V20 and V30, and they didn't come close to Mojo's performance. DAC SINAD measures around the same I think, but the AMP in the Mojo is quite a bit better, more powerful, more granular, and I'm able to hook it up to my laptop. No multi out on V20...

May 25, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #40,299 of 42,788
Yes. The LG V20 phone. To me the sound is better than Mojo and it is a phone.

I was debating on whether to get the V series phone or an iPhone (coming from a loyal Blackberry user). Didn't pull the trigger as I thought the phone sounded very mediocre.

Haven't done any A/B testing between the LG phones and the Mojo but I don't think there would be a comparison.

May 28, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #40,300 of 42,788
2 mojos>>3 hugo2's>> one mscaler>>tt2. open the gates.:relaxed::relaxed:

May 29, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #40,301 of 42,788
I hope Rob doesn't mind me posting this being that HQPlayer is an indirect competitor to his M-Scaler, but the sound coming out of my Mojo is like I've never heard it before. HQPlayer 4.6.0 now has a new upscaling filter called Sinc-L which gives it 2 million taps when upscaling to 705.6khz PCM. I'm streaming Deezer lossless into HQPlayer (via a software called Loopback), upscaling it to 705.6khz with "none" selected for dithering, and outputting it over USB to my Mojo. The sound approaches the sound of live music, emotional and engaging. It's what digital music should be for everyone, and hopefully can be one day.

May 29, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #40,302 of 42,788
I hope Rob doesn't mind me posting this being that HQPlayer is an indirect competitor to his M-Scaler, but the sound coming out of my Mojo is like I've never heard it before. HQPlayer 4.6.0 now has a new upscaling filter called Sinc-L which gives it 2 million taps when upscaling to 705.6khz PCM. I'm streaming Deezer lossless into HQPlayer (via a software called Loopback), upscaling it to 705.6khz with "none" selected for dithering, and outputting it over USB to my Mojo. The sound approaches the sound of live music, emotional and engaging. It's what digital music should be for everyone, and hopefully can be one day.
Just curious, have you compared upsampling of HQPlayer with that provided by Audirvana or Roon? I think HQPlayer may have lot more settings since it is specific to upsampling but with some basic settings I'm interested to know how it fares against others.

May 29, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #40,303 of 42,788

Im feeling a bit sorry for those who have sunk mega bucks into the M-Scaler if the HQPlayer does the same thing just as well...

May 29, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #40,304 of 42,788
Just curious, have you compared upsampling of HQPlayer with that provided by Audirvana or Roon? I think HQPlayer may have lot more settings since it is specific to upsampling but with some basic settings I'm interested to know how it fares against others.
I haven't tried Audirvana or Roon's upsampling or DSD conversion, but in what I've read from others, HQPlayer is better. One other thing to note is HQPlayer allows you to choose very CPU intensive filters whereas Audirvana and Roon don't give you the option, so they likely use more basic filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back