Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 3, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #37,758 of 42,765
How have people found the Mojo at airport security? I have been stopped a couple of times.

I’m almost always explaining Mojo to TSA inspectors. It’s led to body search pat downs.

Air Alaska proved somewhat contentious 2 weeks ago.

It began w one stewardess and in spite of repeated offers to examine in and hear the music, she got another stewardess and then a male staff (security?).

She feigned interest as music but her words (and body language) revealed the contrary.

It was unwelcome tension that could have been averted had she leaned in allowing me to turn up volume w/o necessity of insertion of IEM.

She escalated the two others unnecessarily.

Even a quick online search would have ended this.

I respect the fear of Islamic terrorism and the need for security.

This surprised me.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #37,759 of 42,765
I’m almost always explaining Mojo to TSA inspectors. It’s led to body search pat downs.

Air Alaska proved somewhat contentious 2 weeks ago.

It began w one stewardess and in spite of repeated offers to examine in and hear the music, she got another stewardess and then a male staff (security?).

She feigned interest as music but her words (and body language) revealed the contrary.

It was unwelcome tension that could have been averted had she leaned in allowing me to turn up volume w/o necessity of insertion of IEM.

She escalated the two others unnecessarily.

Even a quick online search would have ended this.

I respect the fear of Islamic terrorism and the need for security.

This surprised me.
Hmm maybe I'll leave mine home when I holiday travel. That's unfortunate, and awkward.

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #37,762 of 42,765
Never had this issue. TSA or any other country.

I am traveling a lot and never had an issue with the Mojo.
And I am usually taking:
1 laptop, 1 iPad, 2 phones, Mojo + HiBy, a 20Ah power bank, 1 full size headphone :L3000: and 1 pair of IEMs :ksc75smile:
But haven't been travelling to North America for a while, so no experience with the TSA

The golden rule was always to stay calm and cooperate if they want to check something. Let them take the lead.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #37,763 of 42,765
I've had it with my POC Mojo. It started shutting down randomly after 1 year of use; the battery hasn't been charging after 18 months - at all. Now it makes some humming sound right after being plugged in - more often than not.
When I called the shop who sold me this POC and asked about the battery replacement cost they said it is 150$. I contacted Chord and they pointed me to some company here in USA - 165$.
This is ridiculous. I find it straight out dishonest to advertise years of battery life when you put a battery right on top of a chip that gets very hot. Batteries degrade fast when used in heat.
For one - I will never buy a DAC with internal battery and secondly I'll never buy anything from Chord.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #37,764 of 42,765
I've had it with my POC Mojo. It started shutting down randomly after 1 year of use; the battery hasn't been charging after 18 months - at all. Now it makes some humming sound right after being plugged in - more often than not.
When I called the shop who sold me this POC and asked about the battery replacement cost they said it is 150$. I contacted Chord and they pointed me to some company here in USA - 165$.
This is ridiculous. I find it straight out dishonest to advertise years of battery life when you put a battery right on top of a chip that gets very hot. Batteries degrade fast when used in heat.
For one - I will never buy a DAC with internal battery and secondly I'll never buy anything from Chord.
Likewise, I had the same battery problem. Mojo battery is one of the worst quality I've ever had and the charge for battery replacement is ridiculously expensive. I simply remove the battery and use it as desktop unit by permanently connecting to USB charger and it runs much cooler w/o battery.

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #37,766 of 42,765

Battery capacity test on my 2.75 year old Mojo used as a portable stack:
  • Blue for 1 hour 56 minutes.
  • Green for 2 hours 46 minutes.
  • Yellow for 3 hours 43 minutes.
  • Red for 49 minutes.
  • Flashing red for 15 minutes.
Full charge to shutoff is 9.5 hours. Purchased March 2016 with a battery manufacture date in 2015. I believe that is a lot closer to typical performance experienced by most owners than your experience. Capacity was determined in a continuous use playing FLAC files. I did this test because I had observed some slight swelling in the battery of my other Mojo purchased two months earlier than the tested unit and used as my desktop DAC plugged in 24/7 so I bought new batteries for both of them from a Chord dealer and decided to see if there was any reason to replace the portable unit’s battery. Guess not yet. Cost to replace was about $65 each.

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #37,767 of 42,765
Hoping for a Mojo 2 that doesnt have the bass hump and "rolled off" treble, a no battery required desktop mode and it will be a day one purchase for me like Mojo 1 was.
That would be the Hugo... Now that the Hugo 2 is out you may get a Hugo 1 for about 2x Mojo price.
I bought a used 2Qute for my stereo and never looked back, Hugo1 sound for my system, but of course can‘t use it with headphones.
Mojo 2 won‘t happen for a couple of years, if at all. The FPGA technology used in the Chord DACs has much slower updgrade cycles compared to regular DACs or computer processors and it really needs a major technology jump to pack the Hugo calculating power into a Mojo sized device. Mojo only became technically possible in 2014. additionally, part of the sound signature comes from the different amplifier circuits, and Mojo is space and cost limited, so also no chance to get that Hugo sound into a Mojo sized DAC, at least with current technology. So, Hugo is the way to go :L3000:

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #37,768 of 42,765
Battery capacity test on my 2.75 year old Mojo used as a portable stack:
  • Blue for 1 hour 56 minutes.
  • Green for 2 hours 46 minutes.
  • Yellow for 3 hours 43 minutes.
  • Red for 49 minutes.
  • Flashing red for 15 minutes.
Full charge to shutoff is 9.5 hours. Purchased March 2016 with a battery manufacture date in 2015. I believe that is a lot closer to typical performance experienced by most owners than your experience. Capacity was determined in a continuous use playing FLAC files. I did this test because I had observed some slight swelling in the battery of my other Mojo purchased two months earlier than the tested unit and used as my desktop DAC plugged in 24/7 so I bought new batteries for both of them from a Chord dealer and decided to see if there was any reason to replace the portable unit’s battery. Guess not yet. Cost to replace was about $65 each.
65$ for a battery or to replace the battery? Which dealer - if you don't mind sharing?

Dec 3, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #37,769 of 42,765
65$ for a battery or to replace the battery? Which dealer - if you don't mind sharing?

Cost of the battery and I replaced it. I bought them from HiFi Pro in Canada and had them shipped to me in the US. Took about 10 days to get them. The battery was $60 USD plus shipping, which I am guessing to remember. The link to the battery is https://www.hifipro.ca/product/chor...battery-replacement-accessories-international and I had to contact them via email to get a link to order them shipped to the US.

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #37,770 of 42,765
Cost of the battery and I replaced it. I bought them from HiFi Pro in Canada and had them shipped to me in the US. Took about 10 days to get them. The battery was $60 USD plus shipping, which I am guessing to remember. The link to the battery is https://www.hifipro.ca/product/chor...battery-replacement-accessories-international and I had to contact them via email to get a link to order them shipped to the US.
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to replace The Mojo battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back