Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 27, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #37,726 of 42,765
I auditioned Mojo a couple of times at meets and could detect no difference from my iPhone. Because of its reputation on HeadFi and the obvious sincerity of its designer, who regularly posts in the Mojo thread, I bought one anyway thinking that I could return it if not impressed. I tried it for a month or so and forgot all about returning it. I was simply enjoying my music in a way that I hadn't for several years of listening to iPhones. I'm still not sure that I could pick it out in a blind test but I do know that when it runs out of charge, as it did today, and I revert to phone only, I stop enjoying the music in the same way. This may be placebo or perception bias but it has been consistent over the three years that I have used Mojo. All this proves to me is that I am not able to detect small differences in sound in AB testing.

It’s not placebo - I didn’t appreciate Mojo when I first auditioned it for 1/2 an hour in a store, after buying it took me a few days to a week or two to really begin appreciating the improvement it makes. Now that I’m accustomed to it, I hear it right away (but I didn’t in the beginning). The music is simply more enjoable with a better source.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #37,727 of 42,765
my Grado SR80e’s sound excellent and amazing to me direct from iPhone/iPad, there is great synergy there and for me at least the 80e’s don’t benefit much (or at all) from Mojo.

Very, very interesting reading. I use the Mojo+AEON with my iPhone/iPads but sometimes I wish tu avoid the dac to have a more fast listening session (especially because I use the Mojo also for the main speakers rig).

Said so, could you tell me about the timbre/sound signature do you achieve with that Grado and the iPhone (I have the 8 plus)?

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #37,728 of 42,765
I remember when the only DACs I had were the Meridian Explorer and the Chord Mojo. My Mojo developed a fault and was returned. For a few weeks, I listened to ME, and I got more and more impatient with it. Once I bought another Mojo, it was like all was well in the universe again.

I like the ME, and would never criticise it at the level it is at, and price point. It's very cheap recently. Having only the ME and knowing the Mojo, left me missing a lot from my music though. Mojo is so much better balanced in every way.

If you're comparing iPhone to Mojo, try driving the line out feed from both to a amplifier and speakers. You should really hear the difference then.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #37,729 of 42,765
Very, very interesting reading. I use the Mojo+AEON with my iPhone/iPads but sometimes I wish tu avoid the dac to have a more fast listening session (especially because I use the Mojo also for the main speakers rig).

Said so, could you tell me about the timbre/sound signature do you achieve with that Grado and the iPhone (I have the 8 plus)?

Before I describe my impressions, it is important to take into account that I listen at low volumes,
far lower than what is average. For example, on my iPhone X volume
is below 50%. I have long maintained that Grado's are voiced to sound
their best at low to moderate volumes - play at average or loud volumes and
some or most of the models can have an overly trebly, hard and aggressive sound.

Also, good break-in is important in my experience with Grado's - 50+ hours.

Taking the above into account, the other thing is that I haven't listened
to the SR80e's for over 6 months due to switching for
portability to the Shure SE535's - (which are also excellent in my opinion and use).
So, I am listening with fresh ears and appreciation.

The sound is so well balanced that nothing stands out or feels lacking,
it causes me to relax and (mostly) hear the music as was intended.
Never do I think if only the bass was better, or any other deficiencies.
The music as mentioned has excellent balance of sound,
good tonality/weight, smoothness and reasonable detail,
overall it sounds excellent to my ears! I can listen for an hour or more
with very good satisfaction.

After being so used to the Shure's the larger, more natural sound field is immediately apparent.

I also frequently use Sennheiser's Captune app to equalize the bass a bit up on Tidal streams.
However, any reasonable source sounds excellent

For critical listening at home, I prefer either the SR225'es, SE535's or GS1000i with Mojo.

However, don't discount the excellent synergy of the SR80e
with IOS devices
...for me, does the job and more on the go!
Good detail, tonal color, weight/density, smoothness,
naturalness, soundstage and overall musicality to my ears!

...I just want to keep listening and enjoying music!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #37,732 of 42,765
69lyrl.jpg

Chord Electronics Product Announcement - Mojo Poly Limited Edition Christmas Gift Pack

With Christmas just around the corner, we’re pleased to launch the Mojo and Poly Limited Edition Gift Pack, providing all you need to experience multi-award-winning streaming technology at home or on-the-go.

3539h50.jpg

Available from your local Chord Electronics retailer and containing a Mojo, Poly, leather case, 64GB Micro SD card and SD card adapter, configuration pin, 2-amp charger (with included worldwide plugs) and more, make the most of the holiday period to reflect on the music you’ve discovered this year by wirelessly streaming it wherever it is in the home: on your network; a networked computer, tablet or NAS drive, smartphone, or from the on-board Micro SD card. You can also use streaming services, too.

123v0n8.jpg

Oh, and the configuration? Yes, Gofigure for Android is here meaning that both Apple and Android customers can download and configure their devices wirelessly, finally being able to bin the configuration pin.

2h2nvuv.png

The Christmas Limited Edition package is available from your retailer now.

Worldwide plugs are not showing on any of the UK sites that I can see. It shows a different box layout completely.

Nov 30, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #37,733 of 42,765
It’s not placebo - I didn’t appreciate Mojo when I first auditioned it for 1/2 an hour in a store, after buying it took me a few days to a week or two to really begin appreciating the improvement it makes. Now that I’m accustomed to it, I hear it right away (but I didn’t in the beginning). The music is simply more enjoable with a better source.
For me too, I first thought I hit a spot of diminishing returns. But, after few tracks the differences became apparent for me, that I could not go back to the orginal sound of my iPhone and much worse sounding s8. Really satisfied. I A/Bed few songs, and with my headphones Beoplay H6 the difference is mainly in microdetails. Everything is present in the iphones sound, but not as vivid and clearly noticeable like the mojo. Also, with the HD 650, I had noticed that the difference between the male and female vocals (with the bassier weightage to the male ) was very apparent. None of the cheaper DACs I had audiotioned or owned had this. On H6 this difference is not so apparent as H6 renders both male and female voices in a normalized way. Male sounds like more femalish. But, On 650 its so apparent. I sold the 650 because I only listen on headphones on the go, but now regretting it already. H6 is more detailed and faster out of the two with Mojo, but slightly unnatural (only in comparison)

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #37,735 of 42,765
For me too, I first thought I hit a spot of diminishing returns. But, after few tracks the differences became apparent for me, that I could not go back to the orginal sound of my iPhone and much worse sounding s8. Really satisfied. I A/Bed few songs, and with my headphones Beoplay H6 the difference is mainly in microdetails. Everything is present in the iphones sound, but not as vivid and clearly noticeable like the mojo. Also, with the HD 650, I had noticed that the difference between the male and female vocals (with the bassier weightage to the male ) was very apparent. None of the cheaper DACs I had audiotioned or owned had this. On H6 this difference is not so apparent as H6 renders both male and female voices in a normalized way. Male sounds like more femalish. But, On 650 its so apparent. I sold the 650 because I only listen on headphones on the go, but now regretting it already. H6 is more detailed and faster out of the two with Mojo, but slightly unnatural (only in comparison)
At this point Mojo has actually saved me money. It seems pointless trying DAP's as they are not going to do what Mojo does.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #37,736 of 42,765
Long time owner, Wondering your thoughts and reasons for my Chord Mojo having the best SQ when outputting on the bottom 1 of 5 Double Red volume setting? I think my ears are right. wondering if my equipment affects the best output quality, or if others feel this is the same output for best SQ?

I output to a restored vintage Sansui Au-717. Input Sensitivity 150mV. I then use all 85 Watts to a pair of Vandersteen 3a Signatures.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #37,737 of 42,765
Long time owner, Wondering your thoughts and reasons for my Chord Mojo having the best SQ when outputting on the bottom 1 of 5 Double Red volume setting? I think my ears are right. wondering if my equipment affects the best output quality, or if others feel this is the same output for best SQ?

I output to a restored vintage Sansui Au-717. Input Sensitivity 150mV. I then use all 85 Watts to a pair of Vandersteen 3a Signatures.

I think volume on Mojo has to be a lot higher than double red before the distortion starts to increase with the volume level

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #37,738 of 42,765
I think volume on Mojo has to be a lot higher than double red before the distortion starts to increase with the volume level
it totally depends on how that volume level matches your other devices pre amp. for another amp, it may sound better at another volume level. For example on my Beoplay H6 Mojo sounds best at double yellow. HD650 (again, this is not at the same perceived loudness level, HD650 sounded balanced at a louder, perceived loudness level to me)- double green. Not in DAC mode on my Myryad integrated amp orange. So, there is no one setting which would work for all.

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #37,739 of 42,765
At this point Mojo has actually saved me money. It seems pointless trying DAP's as they are not going to do what Mojo does.
My previous DAP was AK70, I got a Pioneer xdp 300r and Mojo at the same time, returned the Pioneer. Despite inconvienience, if sound matters more, then Mojo is still the way to go. Haters are those who listened it for few minutes and ended up in a judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back