Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 20, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #37,696 of 42,765
Using it without a battery is not a tested mode of operation, nor was it a design specification. So although every one I have tried will work that way, it's certainly not an official mode of use, so we can't guarantee the operation that way.

The issue numbers are for relatively small things, and should not affect this.
Thanks for clearing that up. I tried it again using these 3 chargers I have at hand right now and it still didn't work even with different USB cables. But I kept doing the same thing over and over again expecting different outcome, and guess what, it worked! Apparently after the automatic shutdown, I need to turn it back on very quickly and then it'll stay turned on forever. This is reproducible with other chargers as well.

Thanks guys for the help! Love you all <3

Nov 20, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #37,697 of 42,765
Thanks for clearing that up. I tried it again using these 3 chargers I have at hand right now and it still didn't work even with different USB cables. But I kept doing the same thing over and over again expecting different outcome, and guess what, it worked! Apparently after the automatic shutdown, I need to turn it back on very quickly and then it'll stay turned on forever. This is reproducible with other chargers as well.

Thanks guys for the help! Love you all <3

Congrats on making it work.

I was going to say that USB cables, especially those that are USB A to USB micro, are darn finicky when it comes to power delivery. I've got a rather unorthodox method of testing micro usb cables. I have an Aspire SkyStar ecig mod, and it has the unusual feature of showing the amps it's receiving from any micro-USB cable. Using my most powerful charger, I plugged in dozens of old cables I had lying around and found that they all varied. The vast majority of those that claim to be 2.4amps were actually less than 2amps. So I bought some on Amazon that had high review ratings and they all performed at around 2.18amps, which is more than good enough for Chord H2 and MojoPoly. All of my power issues went away after doing this. To avoid confusion in the future, the ones I bought on Amazon were all pink colored fabric. So at least I know that when grabbing one of those, it will get the most power it can out of whatever charger is used.

Incidentally, interestingly, the AC-plus charger that comes with Chord H2 is actually about 1.98 amps, just a hair under 2. And yet, it charges the H2 just fine, so there does seem to be a small margin of error with regards to the H2's power requirements. Either that, or there is a margin of error with the Aspire Skystar mod.

Seems like your issue was un-related to power though. Congrats again.

Nov 20, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #37,698 of 42,765
@Mojo ideas Do you have any plans for a Chordette Toucan successor? I can imagine it selling very well if Rob could find a way to implement his new amp technology using Mojo or better code in that form factor. 2-3 watts output would be really nice, just throwing stuff out there :beyersmile:

Nov 20, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #37,699 of 42,765
I am using tidal, chord mojo with usb audio player pro and the sample rate stays red but when i listen to just tidal it turns orange or blue. Shouldnt the frequency rate change using uapp? Im using a Samsung galaxy s9 too. If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated! Thx

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #37,700 of 42,765
I am using tidal, chord mojo with usb audio player pro and the sample rate stays red but when i listen to just tidal it turns orange or blue. Shouldnt the frequency rate change using uapp? Im using a Samsung galaxy s9 too. If anyone can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated! Thx

I presume you are listening to Tidal HiFi (losslees CD quality), or Tidal Standard (lossy quality). With UAPP you are getting what you should, that is, bitperfect audio from Tidal at 16/44.1 (unless using MQA).

When not using UAPP then the Samsung device OS is upsampling and then sending that to the Mojo, which you don't want. Any digital signal modification before the Mojo is not advised. Let the Mojo do the digital processing.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #37,701 of 42,765

please ensure that in settings->"internal audio driver" you have selected "HiRes Direct driver"

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #37,702 of 42,765
Anyone can repair mine? Mine one is died now.
It will just switch off itself as soon as I turn it on. Guess the thermal protection is faulty now. Battery died too. Can't send to dealer due to expired warranty. Can't afford for board replacement too, almost at used mono price. Mine is the early 2015 batch. Is it really dead? :frowning2:

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #37,703 of 42,765
Most likely you have fully discharged the battery so the charger is trying to safely re-start it. So - keep Mojo turned off and re-charge it overnight. It can take some time for trickle charge to recover the battery.

If an overnight re-charge does not work, you may need a new battery.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #37,704 of 42,765
Most likely you have fully discharged the battery so the charger is trying to safely re-start it. So - keep Mojo turned off and re-charge it overnight. It can take some time for trickle charge to recover the battery.

If an overnight re-charge does not work, you may need a new battery.

The battery was removed and still can't on without switching off itself. It used to be fine without the battery.

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #37,706 of 42,765
I'm sure this has been covered already in this thread but it's way too long to find out....How would I be able to utilize just the DAC section of the Mojo connected to a head-amp using RCA's?

All Chord DACs can’t bypass the analogue output of the DAC.

Nov 25, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #37,708 of 42,765
Well, ****, that sucks. Thanks for the reply!

Actually, it doesn’t. The ‘amp section’ is more akin to the line out of traditional DAC setups. That’s one of the unique aspects of the design. The analogue section is very simple and very transparent to the DAC.

You don’t have to read the whole thread, but the third post contains a copious amount of information from the designer of the Mojo.

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #37,710 of 42,765
I'm sure this has been covered already in this thread but it's way too long to find out....How would I be able to utilize just the DAC section of the Mojo connected to a head-amp using RCA's?

Just to pile on and expand a bit on what Relic and Deftone have said: every DAC has to have a final D-A stage with voltage output. The Mojo’s output is both 1) more transparent than most other DACs and 2) variable (as well as powerful), making it ideal for driving headphones directly or for feeding a (headphone) amplifier. You would just need an adapter (like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-3...150102&sr=1-3&keywords=Audioquest+rca+adapter) or a cable with the appropriate ends.

Edit: Mojo has a “line out” function which is a shortcut to 3V output, but your amp may prefer a lower voltage. 4 clicks down on Mojo’s volume will give a more traditional 1.9V output, but there is. It loss on transparency using the volume.

It will sound great!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back