Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 26, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #36,571 of 42,765
I use oppo pm1 with mojo now. I would try beyer dt880 600 ohm a true budget high end piece of german engineering. The mojo drives them so beautifully and effortlessly. The 600 ohm version is tuned for dedicated gear/amps and multiple reports indicate the SQ is better than the 250 ohm versions which are aimed at hi-fi stereos. Don't worry if you start to see the the white ball on mojo at high volumes with the dt880 as mojo handles 600 ohm loads if need be. I even used the beyers with great results on H2 when i had it.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #36,572 of 42,765
I use oppo pm1 with mojo now. I would try beyer dt880 600 ohm a true budget high end piece of german engineering. The mojo drives them so beautifully and effortlessly. The 600 ohm version is tuned for high end gear/amps not the 250 ohm version which is aimed at hi-fi stereos. Don't worry if you start to see the the white ball on mojo at high volumes with the dt880 as mojo pushes to 800 ohms if need be. I even used the beyers with great results on H2 when i had it.
Isn’t the volume dangerous at white ball volume?
My hd650 are 600 ohms, I can bearly go past double green.
Listening with my Hd800s, I always want to push it higher, but don’t want to damage my ears.
How can I push it, but keep it safe?

May 26, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #36,573 of 42,765
Check again the hd650 is 300ohms half that of the beyers. When you see the white light just starting to appear with a 600 ohm load neither the mojo nor the headphone is being "forced" or overly exerted in any way at all. The volume is not louder than normal but the mojo is just letting you see "its inner workings". Many people have used the 600 ohm Beyer T1 top of the range headphone successfully with mojo. It can be quite "trippy" going from my £1100 32 ohm oppo pm1 which barely needs the blue light for very loud to say switching to the beyers for jazz and seeing the variation in ball colour to approaching white even though the volume remains the same. The effect is most pronounced at dusk.:alien:

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #36,574 of 42,765
I'm sure it's been asked 100's time on this thread but at 2,413 pages it's getting hard to easily search for an answer......

Using a DAP as a source, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using digital coax (3.5mm to 3.5mm) vs 3.5mm to Toslink? In the past I was using a lightning to micro USB when my source was an iPhone and now need to buy the best possible cable to connect a DAP with a 3.5mm digital line out.

Thanks in advance..

May 27, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #36,575 of 42,765
If it's a choice between optical or coax, always use optical, as it is galvanically isolated - so no ground noise from the source can upset Mojo or any other of my DAC's. The RF noise from the source adds to noise floor modulation, and this sounds brighter as a consequence, but with worse timbre variation. Hence why optical can sound warmer or smoother.

There is absolutely no benefit from a jitter POV, as my DPLL completely removes source jitter, so this aspect is unimportant.

May 28, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #36,576 of 42,765
Can anyone recommend an optical cable for the Mojo, I'm using Opus #1, thanks!

May 28, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #36,577 of 42,765
Can anyone recommend an optical cable for the Mojo, I'm using Opus #1, thanks!
I've owned two different types of Moon-Audio Toslink to mini cables and they are sturdy. Can't comment on sound quality as I haven't compared them to other similar cables.

CJ

May 28, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #36,579 of 42,765
All of a sudden it is taking forever to charge my Mojo, I have been charging it withs he right charger for over a day and it still is on yellow. I am worried there is something wrong with the battery. Any suggestions? I may have to send this back again which is very frustrating.

May 28, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #36,581 of 42,765
Is the charging light blinking?
The light turns white when charging. So it looks like it’s charging but even after hours it still stays red or at best yellow.

May 28, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #36,582 of 42,765
The light turns white when charging. So it looks like it’s charging but even after hours it still stays red or at best yellow.
Does sound strange, but it is possible for the battery to sometimes take a very long time to charge, if it has been discharged to a very low level.
From the FAQ in post #3

"First, check that your charger is rated for at least 1amp charging current (higher is fine; lower is not). If the charger is not rated high-enough, then Mojos white charging LED will flash, to warn that Mojo will not charge successfully.
You have already checked if the light is flashing, so your charger sounds like it is OK.

However, if your charger is fine, then it may be that Mojos battery has been discharged more-deeply than usual:"

Quote:

.... I am thinking the battery is not holding any charge.
Try charging overnight with the unit off. The charging circuit looks at the state of the battery before charging. If the battery has a very low voltage, it will trickle charge the battery until it gets to a safe voltage, and then full charge will commence. This trickle charge mode can take several hours, and it is done for safety reasons, and it will appear that the battery is not working as the trickle charge mode takes some time. When in this mode Mojo must be off.
Try charging overnight, with the Mojo switched off. If that doesn't cure the problem, then it is best to contact info@chordelectronics.co.uk for advice.

May 28, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #36,583 of 42,765
Does sound strange, but it is possible for the battery to sometimes take a very long time to charge, if it has been discharged to a very low level.
From the FAQ in post #3

"First, check that your charger is rated for at least 1amp charging current (higher is fine; lower is not). If the charger is not rated high-enough, then Mojos white charging LED will flash, to warn that Mojo will not charge successfully.
You have already checked if the light is flashing, so your charger sounds like it is OK.

However, if your charger is fine, then it may be that Mojos battery has been discharged more-deeply than usual:"

Quote:

.... I am thinking the battery is not holding any charge.
Try charging overnight with the unit off. The charging circuit looks at the state of the battery before charging. If the battery has a very low voltage, it will trickle charge the battery until it gets to a safe voltage, and then full charge will commence. This trickle charge mode can take several hours, and it is done for safety reasons, and it will appear that the battery is not working as the trickle charge mode takes some time. When in this mode Mojo must be off.
Try charging overnight, with the Mojo switched off. If that doesn't cure the problem, then it is best to contact info@chordelectronics.co.uk for advice.
I shall try, it was fully discharged so it may take a while, I always charge withs eh mojo off. I'll get back to you all tomorrow and see how it goes.

May 28, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #36,584 of 42,765
I shall try, it was fully discharged so it may take a while, I always charge withs eh mojo off. I'll get back to you all tomorrow and see how it goes.
Fingers crossed for you. There have been a handful of posts where this has cured the issue, and if it works, it has saved the hassle of returning your Mojo for testing.

May 29, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #36,585 of 42,765
Setting the 24/192 fixed output on the player is counterproductive for the sonic mojo, is not it?

I am asking you this because the mojo when it passes from a 16 to 24 bit file was a kind of annoying click.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back