Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 22, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #36,556 of 42,765
I also like the idea, as I am starting to think about a Chord DAC for my stereo system.
Rob Watts wrote something about reference voltage and output stage of the Mojo being limited in design choices because of the limited space.
So there would be some potential for upgrade of a Mojo TT...

The question is if there's enough market size and differentiation potential to the 2Qute in terms of pricing and performance.

Why not just move up to the Hugo 2? Asking for a beefed up Mojo more adept to desktop listening, sounds like it already exists.

May 23, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #36,557 of 42,765
Why not just move up to the Hugo 2? Asking for a beefed up Mojo more adept to desktop listening, sounds like it already exists.

I agree, the lineup is pretty complete.
Chord Overview.png

May 23, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #36,560 of 42,765
Sure, but don't forget the 2Qute and the Qutest are DAC only. You'll still need an amp.
The gap between Mojo and Hugo2 is quite big, and I am not sure if Hugo can fill the role of a 'Mojo TT'.
The TT2 will be £3996.

Why do you believe the original Hugo wouldn't fit into the use case you're describing? Asking for a Mojo TT seems like asking for a mobile phone that can run Solidworks and 3D model. Mojo was meant to be portable, if you want something desktop, they have multiple options as already described/listed.

May 23, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #36,562 of 42,765
Why do you believe the original Hugo wouldn't fit into the use case you're describing? Asking for a Mojo TT seems like asking for a mobile phone that can run Solidworks and 3D model. Mojo was meant to be portable, if you want something desktop, they have multiple options as already described/listed.
Hugo was also made portable. Not really a desktop solution. There is also no agreement whether it sounds better than Mojo. Different, yes, but some Hugo owners actually prefer Mojo's sound.
Quite hard to find better sounding DAC under £1000 than Mojo (naturalness, depth), whether it is desktop or portable.

May 23, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #36,563 of 42,765
Yes, some people are forgetting that Mojo represented 'Mobile Joy', and TT represented 'Table Top', which are mutually exclusive scenarios.

May 23, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #36,564 of 42,765
Hugo was also made portable. Not really a desktop solution. There is also no agreement whether it sounds better than Mojo. Different, yes, but some Hugo owners actually prefer Mojo's sound.
Quite hard to find better sounding DAC under £1000 than Mojo (naturalness, depth), whether it is desktop or portable.

Then I suggest you stick with the Mojo and save funds for Hugo 2, or just stick with Mojo. As said above, Mojo = "Mobile Joy", TT = "Table Top". Complete opposites.

May 23, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #36,566 of 42,765

I've no literature on either impedance and sensitivity of Noble X, but, as a rule of thumb, BA IEMs are not kings of scalability the least to be said. Campfire Vega or even Lyra II are better suited, being DD.
IMHO you'd better doing your comparison with cans like HD800, Oppo PM3 and the now fairly inexpensive DT770 Pro, to start with.

May 23, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #36,567 of 42,765
I've no literature on either impedance and sensitivity of Noble X, but, as a rule of thumb, BA IEMs are not kings of scalability the least to be said. Campfire Vega or even Lyra II are better suited, being DD.
IMHO you'd better doing your comparison with cans like HD800, Oppo PM3 and the now fairly inexpensive DT770 Pro, to start with.
Thanks for your advice, the DT770 Pro look very interesting and affordable. Do you mean the 250 Ohms version? Noble X impedance is 30 Ohms, Mojo is able to drive them without issues of course, simply I was expecting a major difference in terms of SQ respect to the DFB....

May 23, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #36,568 of 42,765
Sure, but don't forget the 2Qute and the Qutest are DAC only. You'll still need an amp.
The gap between Mojo and Hugo2 is quite big, and I am not sure if Hugo can fill the role of a 'Mojo TT'.
The TT2 will be £3996.

I think the 2Qute is overpriced in this
The TT2 will be £3996.

If the 2Qute would be discounted like the Hugo, it would be 600-700 pounds and would be extremely attractive as a Hifi system DAC.

What would a Mojo TT
Thanks for your advice, the DT770 Pro look very interesting and affordable. Do you mean the 250 Ohms version? Noble X impedance is 30 Ohms, Mojo is able to drive them without issues of course, simply I was expecting a major difference in terms of SQ respect to the DFB....

Another good headphone which is currently being sold off at an attractive price is the Audioquest NightHawk. There’s an Ebay seller in the Netherlands that sells them for 229 now plus shipping. It’s a bit special sounding (not attention grabbing, but rather smooth and real), but was the preferred choice of Rob Watts for the Mojo, the developer of the Chord DAC technology.

Regarding SQ differences...
Somehow they are big, and somehow they are subtle.
Maybe go to a Hifi store where you can listen to a set of good headphones and try it there?
Then you should really hear a clear difference between laptop out, DFB and Mojo.

May 23, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #36,569 of 42,765
Another good headphone which is currently being sold off at an attractive price is the Audioquest NightHawk. There’s an Ebay seller in the Netherlands that sells them for 229 now plus shipping. It’s a bit special sounding (not attention grabbing, but rather smooth and real), but was the preferred choice of Rob Watts for the Mojo, the developer of the Chord DAC technology.

Regarding SQ differences...
Somehow they are big, and somehow they are subtle.
Maybe go to a Hifi store where you can listen to a set of good headphones and try it there?
Then you should really hear a clear difference between laptop out, DFB and Mojo.

Ditto!

May 23, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #36,570 of 42,765

You’re welcome.
Yes the 250 ohm version.

EDIT:
Noble X: 30 ohm without sensitivity quotes is not much indicative, oddly enough.
I.e.: Shure SE535 are 36 Ohm with 119dB at 1mW; Campfire Andromeda are 12.8 Ohm and 115 dB at 1mW. With Mojo they sport the same efficiency.
Campfire Lyra II is 17 Ohm and 103 dB at 1mW and Always with Mojo is less efficient than the couple above, and remarkably better as far as scalability is concerned.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back