Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 16, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #36,511 of 42,765
The ie800S is superb with Mojo (and Hugo II). Most owners love them. I have only seen one poor review, What Hifi. When you say they reviewed poorly that sounds like a general consensus, what reviews?

Sorry, I got my terminology wrong.

IE800 Five star review. https://www.whathifi.com/sennheiser/ie-800/review

IE800 S Three star review. https://www.whathifi.com/sennheiser/ie-800-s/review

I was thinking Mk 2, but it was S version. Whatever that is. Anyway, that's what I read, so I was just passing it on.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #36,512 of 42,765
No need to apologize, this happens all the time in threads and there is really no reason you can't ask. As long as you aren't unfairly bashing a product in a thread a little OT discussion like this is fine. It also allows Chord to see what possible changes or directions they may consider for future products. Maybe not, but at least Chord can hear good and bad things from customers. I was in sales and marketing and there was a saying that when a customer is talking, you should be listening, and that even applies, maybe even applies more so, when a customer isn't just gushing and complimenting. The Mojo is a fantastic device and I suspect in it's category one of the most successful ever so a few people here and there who require something different even after trying it won't hurt the Mojo or Chord. I would buy the Mojo again in a second as I really loved the sound signature and wish I could have kept it around.
why didnt you keep it around ?

May 16, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #36,513 of 42,765
Hi can someone tell me of a small DAP that is compatable with the Mojo. Theres a list of devices which suit the Mojo on page 3 but I'm sure theres been more models and hopefully smaller ones since then. I'm just looking for something truly portable like the mojo, as it's just for transport and storage SQ is not that important, TIA

May 16, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #36,514 of 42,765
Hi can someone tell me of a small DAP that is compatable with the Mojo. Theres a list of devices which suit the Mojo on page 3 but I'm sure theres been more models and hopefully smaller ones since then. I'm just looking for something truly portable like the mojo, as it's just for transport and storage SQ is not that important, TIA
Shanling M0, M1, M2S, M3S are cheap and are well liked, and used as data transports.

May 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #36,515 of 42,765
My mojo doesn’t seem to reset to “normal” mode after being in line level mode (pressing both volume buttons while turning it on).
I turn it off and when I turn it back on, it remains in line level mode (purple/blueish color of the volume buttons).
Does anyone know how to fix this?
I almost blew up my headphones ...

Does it make the boot colors sequence when you turn on it?

May 16, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #36,516 of 42,765

HiBy is launching their new R3 DAP at the moment, and I think it’s the perfect match for the Mojo.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-hiby-r3-the-new-little-brother-to-the-r6.872288/
It’s almost exactly the same width and height as the Mojo, has a touch screen and supposedly very good user interface.
Additionally it can be remote controlled from the HiBy App for Android and IOS.

I am currently using the Mojo with a Cayin N3 but have ordered the R3 on kickstarter.
Unfortunately you are a few weeks late for the KS campaign and would have to wait until it becomes available in stores.

PS I am also designing a 3D printed housing for Mojo + HiBy R3 to make it a clean solution

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #36,517 of 42,765
HiBy is launching their new R3 DAP at the moment, and I think it’s the perfect match for the Mojo.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-hiby-r3-the-new-little-brother-to-the-r6.872288/
It’s almost exactly the same width and height as the Mojo, has a touch screen and supposedly very good user interface.
Additionally it can be remote controlled from the HiBy App for Android and IOS.

I am currently using the Mojo with a Cayin N3 but have ordered the R3 on kickstarter.
Unfortunately you are a few weeks late for the KS campaign and would have to wait until it becomes available in stores.

PS I am also designing a 3D printed housing for Mojo + HiBy R3 to make it a clean solution

Let us know how the R3 pairs with Mojo when you get. It has USB and Coax out right?

If its digital out is very good I would sell my x5 III and get this along with a stacking case when it comes out. It should be more compact than Poly, albeit thicker.

May 16, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #36,518 of 42,765
Let us know how the R3 pairs with Mojo when you get. It has USB and Coax out right?

If its digital out is very good I would sell my x5 III and get this along with a stacking case when it comes out. It should be more compact than Poly, albeit thicker.

I will surely do that!
Hiby sells a USB-C to 3,5mm coax cable (ordered) but I already have the Shanling L2 USB-C to micro-USB cable and believe that this will be more compact.

With regard to stacking I see 2 options, either back-to-back for a 40mm package, or the R3 next to the glowing orbs of the Mojo for a bigger and flatter package. In that case the volume rocker would be blocked by the Mojo, the power button and track controls would still be accessible.

I should get the R3 within the next couple of weeks and will report!

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #36,519 of 42,765
why didnt you keep it around ?
I was reducing my collection at the time and given that I did really want Bluetooth functionality (but I wasn't prepared to pay the price for Poly) I opted for something different. If money was no object and I could keep everything, the Mojo certainly was a keeper as I really did love the sound signature. Very impressive device given the price and footprint. Shame that Bluetooth functionality was added later.

May 17, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #36,520 of 42,765
I was reducing my collection at the time and given that I did really want Bluetooth functionality (but I wasn't prepared to pay the price for Poly) I opted for something different. If money was no object and I could keep everything, the Mojo certainly was a keeper as I really did love the sound signature. Very impressive device given the price and footprint. Shame that Bluetooth functionality was added later.

Maybe a strange question, but I was assuming (not knowing really) that bluetooth connection to a headphone, earphone or speaker would transmit digital data and the D/A conversion would happen On the receiver end of the connection. Under that assumption I don’t uderstand how Mojo with Bluetooth would improve the sound.

If it’s about remote controlling Mojo via Bluetooth, then using a source with BT interface, like any DAP with HIBy user interface would fulfill that requirement with the HiBy App, and I guess there’d be other options as well.

As much as I like the Mojo, I also think the Poly is too expensive for what it offers, but luckily there are other options.

May 17, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #36,521 of 42,765
Maybe a strange question, but I was assuming (not knowing really) that bluetooth connection to a headphone, earphone or speaker would transmit digital data and the D/A conversion would happen On the receiver end of the connection. Under that assumption I don’t uderstand how Mojo with Bluetooth would improve the sound.

If it’s about remote controlling Mojo via Bluetooth, then using a source with BT interface, like any DAP with HIBy user interface would fulfill that requirement with the HiBy App, and I guess there’d be other options as well.

As much as I like the Mojo, I also think the Poly is too expensive for what it offers, but luckily there are other options.
It is about convenience, Bluetooth is fabulously convenient and my experience with Bluetooth is that the sound quality is excellent. I love being able to use my phone as a source, great screen, and a solid player. I am not certain that in multiple trial, well controlled blind listening tests that I could reliably pick a wired connection from a Bluetooth.

May 17, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #36,525 of 42,765
Which kind of cable, USB, coax or fo?
USB-C to micro USB, Shanling L2
I'm using a USB C to micro USB OTG cable to connect a Shanling M2S to my Mojo, and it works very well. There's no optical output. I think there's no option for USB to coax either.
HiBy is now offering such a short USB-C to 3,5 Coax cable as part of their Kickstarter laun for the R3 DAP.
It was a strech goal which was not reached, so they offered it as add-on for backers. I suppose it will be available in the future as accessory.

The 90deg 3,5mm jack connector looks quite big though in the photos, so I think the Shanling L2 is the better option.

There is a photo of the coax adapter on this page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...table-touchscreen-hi-fi-network-mu?ref=e27fem

53B3098A-D489-4EF1-AE59-906EE63BC6AB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back