Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 29, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #34,966 of 42,765
Hey guys, I have a question about the Mojo. As I understand the Mojo has 1 usb connection port and 1 usb port to recharge the internal battery.
When I connect the Mojo to my laptop (for example), is the Mojo also powered from the usb connection port or it uses the internal battery for power?
Hope someone could clarify, I lost hours yesterday without finding this information!
Thanks

Dec 29, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #34,967 of 42,765
Hey guys, I have a question about the Mojo. As I understand the Mojo has 1 usb connection port and 1 usb port to recharge the internal battery.
When I connect the Mojo to my laptop (for example), is the Mojo also powered from the usb connection port or it uses the internal battery for power?
Hope someone could clarify, I lost hours yesterday without finding this information!
Thanks

Mojo is always powered from the battery. If you just have the data USB connected then it will not recharge.

Dec 29, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #34,968 of 42,765
@ x RELIC x:

Thanks for the answer. This is really a deal breaker for me. My laptop has just two usb port and they are on the opposite side, so connecting and charging the device it's not practical. I can use it on battery, but again it's another thing to take in consideration, it's a bit annoying when you forgot to recharge and the battery is dead...
Honestly I am bit surprised it can't be powered from the connection port...
I think it's better I'll stick with my Dragonfly Red.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #34,969 of 42,765
@ x RELIC x:

Thanks for the answer. This is really a deal breaker for me. My laptop has just two usb port and they are on the opposite side, so connecting and charging the device it's not practical. I can use it on battery, but again it's another thing to take in consideration, it's a bit annoying when you forgot to recharge and the battery is dead...
Honestly I am bit surprised it can't be powered from the connection port...
I think it's better I'll stick with my Dragonfly Red.
You can get a cable like this that splits and does both data and power.

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #34,970 of 42,765
You can get a cable like this that splits and does both data and power.

Yes, This seems very good and solve problem! So basically with this cable one usb port can power and connect the device the same time. At this point if the battery is full charge, It will use the power from usb port, am I correct?
Do you think the Mojo will become too hot used in this configuration?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #34,971 of 42,765
Yes, This seems very good and solve problem! So basically with this cable one usb port can power and connect the device the same time. At this point if the battery is full charge, It will use the power from usb port, am I correct?
Do you think the Mojo will become too hot used in this configuration?

It will not use power from USB port. As Relic said, it plays from battery. But it would recharge as necessary at the laptops usb power rate.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #34,972 of 42,765
In the early days of the thread, some of the owners were posting pictures of DIY cases, and I thought that I remembered that one case with straps - I have just searched for you, but with no success.
The mojo is relatively small and light, so most cases will be oriented to locating the mojo inside a pocket, and not on a belt.
I use this case, which can hold either my mojo or Hugo 2, plus iems, cables etc.
If you definitely need a case that attaches to your belt, then maybe you need to think laterally. Many higher education colleges will be looking for projects for their design students, and creating a bespoke case for a mojo can represent such a project. Granted it means that you wouldn't receive a case for a few months, but you would have a bespoke case, plus would have supported the education of the next generation of artisans.

Thanks for the quick and detailed response! I actually want the straps so that I can stack a player with the mojo without having to use rubber bands, which typically are overlaying the screen of the player or falsely pressing buttons on the mojo in my pocket. For example, this is how I stack my Hugo/Cayin: https://goo.gl/1uoKKT -- Makes it much easier to control the screen and store inside of a small side-bag like the one you use.

I was thinking about going the custom route as I have a connection in that world, but like you had mentioned it will take months to design and procure such product and I am a bit too eager for that lol

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #34,973 of 42,765
I have a Chord Mojo that doesn't seem to play by the book (I've only recently got it). Firstly I can't power it on when disconnected from the mains - and that's after fully charging it plus I've used it extensively over Xmas in the main Hi-Fi rig - and secondly the rule to reset this to default line-only 3V output of powering up and holding the up and down volume control buttons at the same time does not work, instead it just turns on remembering the last volume setting despite this reset power up routine? Also, mine powers off automatically after about 10 mins of not sensing any signal through the DAC (I use a Chromecast Audio via Optical to the Mojo). So, what's wrong, or what have I overlooked perhaps?

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #34,974 of 42,765
I have a Chord Mojo that doesn't seem to play by the book (I've only recently got it). Firstly I can't power it on when disconnected from the mains - and that's after fully charging it plus I've used it extensively over Xmas in the main Hi-Fi rig - and secondly the rule to reset this to default line-only 3V output of powering up and holding the up and down volume control buttons at the same time does not work, instead it just turns on remembering the last volume setting despite this reset power up routine? Also, mine powers off automatically after about 10 mins of not sensing any signal through the DAC (I use a Chromecast Audio via Optical to the Mojo). So, what's wrong, or what have I overlooked perhaps?

The auto shut off is normal for newer Mojos. If both your volume buttons work otherwise, that is odd behavior. I would try plugging in a USB source (not th power though) so it won’t auto shut off and let it run down completely. Some have suggested plugging in headphones while doing this (but not playing music). After it runs down completely, charge it fully overnight. Then see if it’s behaving better.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #34,976 of 42,765
Thanks for the quick and detailed response! I actually want the straps so that I can stack a player with the mojo without having to use rubber bands, which typically are overlaying the screen of the player or falsely pressing buttons on the mojo in my pocket. For example, this is how I stack my Hugo/Cayin: https://goo.gl/1uoKKT -- Makes it much easier to control the screen and store inside of a small side-bag like the one you use.

I was thinking about going the custom route as I have a connection in that world, but like you had mentioned it will take months to design and procure such product and I am a bit too eager for that lol
Have you checked the FAQ in post 3?
There is a section for stacking/cases etc, which includes photos and links to some of the cases which were developed during months after Mojo was released.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #34,978 of 42,765
Some have reported success. Try it and please report back. Maybe we can prove it!

Sorry what was I thinking - I can't do that - as soon as I disconnect the Mojo from the mains there's not life in it at all. So I can't connect a computer or a set of headphones to the Mojo and get anything out of it because unless it's connected to the mains it's dead! Nada. No lights anywhere.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #34,979 of 42,765
Sorry what was I thinking - I can't do that - as soon as I disconnect the Mojo from the mains there's not life in it at all. So I can't connect a computer or a set of headphones to the Mojo and get anything out of it because unless it's connected to the mains it's dead! Nada. No lights anywhere.

Hmmm. Sounds like a dead battery then.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #34,980 of 42,765
i suspect that you have drained your battery, and your charger is not supplying enough current (minimum 1A) to chaarge the battery.
From the FAQ in post #3 of this thread:
Quote:

.... I am thinking the battery is not holding any charge.
Try charging overnight with the unit off. The charging circuit looks at the state of the battery before charging. If the battery has a very low voltage, it will trickle charge the battery until it gets to a safe voltage, and then full charge will commence. This trickle charge mode can take several hours, and it is done for safety reasons, and it will appear that the battery is not working as the trickle charge mode takes some time. When in this mode Mojo must be off.

When charging make sure the battery light is white and not flashing - if it flashes, pull out the charging cable, count to ten, re-attach the charging cable. If it continues to flash, it is most likely the charger is not giving 1A at 5V, so use a better charger.

Rob
Originally Posted by Rob Watts

Firstly the 4/5 hours is the charge time whilst it is in constant current or full charge mode - so that will get you to blue. But after that it goes into trickle charge mode, and the white light will still be on. I can't remember how long the trickle charge mode is, but I guess 9 hours would be right for full and trickle charge.

Of course, if you are charging whilst on it will take very much longer to charge, and the charger timer might get triggered then you get the flashing white battery LED. The charger timer circuit is only on during full charge mode. So if it's fully charged, and then you plug in the charger and turn it on, then the white charger light will stay on permanently as the trickle charge is being balanced by the current Mojo is drawing (no net current into or out of the battery).

Hope that explains!

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back