Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 4, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #34,606 of 42,765
I’m a curiosity.

Adding an amp to the mojo to improve the “slam” and the driving power will no be a risk to damage the chain clarity?
Also, you should do the lineout sequence every moment when connecting to such amp.
I mean, mojo is dac and amp together, same project, another amp could be a lottery.
Speaking about HD650 price point, upper, I’d follow the advice of the post over mine.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #34,607 of 42,765
I’m a curiosity.

Adding an amp to the mojo to improve the “slam” and the driving power will no be a risk to damage the chain clarity?
Also, you should do the lineout sequence every moment when connecting to such amp.
I mean, mojo is dac and amp together, same project, another amp could be a lottery.
Speaking about HD650 price point, upper, I’d follow the advice of the post over mine.

If the Mojo’s output can drive your headphones with enough power and headroom to meet your listening levels (and for HD650 that is true) then you cannot “add” clarity and it must always be degraded. What everyone is saying, though, is that you might like the sound better. I find Mojo incredibly detailed and neutral, with a hint of warmth. But, the level of warmth is not even like the warmth of HD650 itself compared to neutral. The comb8nation is great, IMO.

When people say Mojo is light or rolled in the highs, I think they truly are looking for something more aggressive, which I don’t prefer. Rob (the designer of Mojo) has said this is added distortion. I don’t know, but you cannot add clarity by adding an amp, so you will get more distortion and a different flavor.

I would try your headphones without an added amp. That is the easiest and cheapest path. Then, audition some amps if you feel something is lacking. More likely, you will find you need to up your headphone instead, or select one with a different profile.

Edit: I forgot to address your line out question. You do not need to put Mojo in line out mode every time to connect it to an amp. What you do want to do is match Mojo’s output with your amps input impedance. If your amp is happy with 3V, the. The line out function is cinvenient. If not, feel free to adjust up or down. There is no sonic penalty for doing so.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #34,608 of 42,765
To recap for other readers. Fully charge Mojo. .. Remove all cables. ... Plug in headphones... . Power on Mojo... Leave it switched on and let it exhaust its battery set up like this.
My Mojo shuts off automatically when I power it on without any cables attached after a few minutes.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #34,609 of 42,765
My Mojo shuts off automatically when I power it on without any cables attached after a few minutes.

Oh yes. The newer design. Is that the same even with headphones attached. I guess it will be. Sorry then. You'll have to go with the solution @miketlse suggests that I think is in the 3rd post FAQ. Meaning just allowing a full charge to be depleted, I guess with cables attached.

I bought my Mojo a year ago, and I think it was even then a fairly early serial number; SN 40,000-ish.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #34,610 of 42,765
The Mojo is perfectly compatible with probably about 95% of headphones out there ... If you pick up LCD-3s, don't get an amp for a Mojo. Get a better DAC, Chord Hugo2 is by many accounts a good choice.

Or get a Mimby / Jot DAC/amp and a Woo Audio WA7 fireflies DAC/amp and a Woo Audio WA8 portable tube powered DAC/amp for the same price

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #34,613 of 42,765
  • Battery life has dropped to about half in the course of 1 year. Nice.
  • Cannot really leave it plugged in all the time due to coil whine. Nice.
So what options do I have? Seems this thing is loosing value in my eyes by the day.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #34,614 of 42,765
To add to some of the complaints being listed here, I've had my Mojo for about a month, and I've been pretty disappointed with the battery life. I'm lucky to get 4-5 hours play time, using a moderately efficient sent of headphones like the Beyerdynamic T5P 2nd gen.

To add to that, I simply can not get it to play nicely in Windows 10 using either of the drivers from Chord's site (the regular or the "creators" drivers). I tried two different versions of JRiver (20 and 23), using kernel streaming, Chord ASIO, and ASIO4ALL. Ironically, ASIO4ALL is the only driver in JRiver that provides reliable playback, but it unfortunately doesn't support DSD. So I am stuck having to go back into the settings and change from ASIO4ALL to kernel streaming every time I want to listen to a DSD album. I've tried all the different USB ports on my machine, to no avail. By contrast, my Dragonfly Red works without issue. The problems I am speaking of happen at random times while using other things within Windows, one of the biggest culprits being a web browser. The sound begins to break up, then gradually deteriorates until JRiver crashes completely. On top of that, if I try to use Tidal in exclusive mode, my entire PC crashes....yes a blue screen in Windows, something I haven't seen in a very long time. This is reproducible every single time I put Tidal into exclusive mode with the Mojo.

The fact that ASIO4ALL works ok but their own driver does not seems like an indication that they need to spend some more time on QA when they develop their drivers. All this being said, I still love the performance of the Mojo, but it is definitely very "rough around the edges" when it comes to stuff like this. I just hate having to work around all these issues to be able to enjoy it on my PC, as it puts a real damper on the whole experience.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #34,615 of 42,765
After reducing my mojo to a paper weight and replacing it with better powered solution.
I'm kind of hoping the chord would issue an apology for engineering such a monstrously flawed product, over hyped with the technobabble that people like me brought. (sadly i still want to listen to it)

If people brought a car that, overheated, whined, conked out after a few hours, THEY WOULD WANT IT FIXED!! sadly its the battery that will ALWAYS FAIL, and the damn thing powered or not is dependent on it really realy saddens me, I want to support and buy chord. will they ever issue a fix for the mojo? HELL NO

I WANT THE BATTERY GONE!

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #34,616 of 42,765
After reducing my mojo to a paper weight and replacing it with better powered solution.
I'm kind of hoping the chord would issue an apology for engineering such a monstrously flawed product, over hyped with the technobabble that people like me brought. (sadly i still want to listen to it)

If people brought a car that, overheated, whined, conked out after a few hours, THEY WOULD WANT IT FIXED!! sadly its the battery that will ALWAYS FAIL, and the damn thing powered or not is dependent on it really realy saddens me, I want to support and buy chord. will they ever issue a fix for the mojo? HELL NO

I WANT THE BATTERY GONE!

unsubscribe

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #34,617 of 42,765

I WANT THE BATTERY GONE!

You act like every mojo that has been produced is like this.

I have had my mojo since launch week, At one time it spent 9 months permanently on charge as a desktop unit, now it is on the move with me. It did not damage the battery, mine does not over heat and shut down and only makes a quiet whine at the end of a charge cycle. I am still getting 8+ hours battery life.

If your battery is faulty stop whining and contact your dealer for a replacement.

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #34,618 of 42,765
To add to some of the complaints being listed here, I've had my Mojo for about a month, and I've been pretty disappointed with the battery life. I'm lucky to get 4-5 hours play time, using a moderately efficient sent of headphones like the Beyerdynamic T5P 2nd gen.

To add to that, I simply can not get it to play nicely in Windows 10 using either of the drivers from Chord's site (the regular or the "creators" drivers). I tried two different versions of JRiver (20 and 23), using kernel streaming, Chord ASIO, and ASIO4ALL. Ironically, ASIO4ALL is the only driver in JRiver that provides reliable playback, but it unfortunately doesn't support DSD. So I am stuck having to go back into the settings and change from ASIO4ALL to kernel streaming every time I want to listen to a DSD album. I've tried all the different USB ports on my machine, to no avail. By contrast, my Dragonfly Red works without issue. The problems I am speaking of happen at random times while using other things within Windows, one of the biggest culprits being a web browser. The sound begins to break up, then gradually deteriorates until JRiver crashes completely. On top of that, if I try to use Tidal in exclusive mode, my entire PC crashes....yes a blue screen in Windows, something I haven't seen in a very long time. This is reproducible every single time I put Tidal into exclusive mode with the Mojo.

The fact that ASIO4ALL works ok but their own driver does not seems like an indication that they need to spend some more time on QA when they develop their drivers. All this being said, I still love the performance of the Mojo, but it is definitely very "rough around the edges" when it comes to stuff like this. I just hate having to work around all these issues to be able to enjoy it on my PC, as it puts a real damper on the whole experience.

Install both of the drivers. Regular first, and then the Creator's one on top of the old one.
I have no issues with Mojo and Windows 10, although I did have the same issues with Tidal right after the Windows update. Installing the drivers correctly fixed all the issues for me.

As for the general discussion in the thread, I've had my Mojo for over a year now as mostly a desktop solution, and I haven't suffered any thermal shutdowns, or had problems with battery when I use it as a portable.
For my needs Mojo is more than enough, and it replaced a significantly more expensive and beefier system (Schiit Bifrost Uber, Bakoon HDA 5210mk3).

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #34,619 of 42,765
Hi,

the Mojo is just arrived (didn't try yet): moving the unit (or even knocking on it slightly), I can hear the "balls" moving sounds inside their holes.
I didn't expect that. I bought it new. It's normal that?

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #34,620 of 42,765
Hi,

the Mojo is just arrived (didn't try yet): moving the unit (or even knocking on it slightly), I can hear the "balls" moving sounds inside their holes.
I didn't expect that. I bought it new. It's normal that?

Yes, Mojo can be shaken around and used as a Maraca. But it’s best left static to produce music :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back