Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #34,516 of 42,765
A little moisture and my Mojo’s Board is ruined, amazing how much gap there is around the ports.

Chord prices a replacement at $300 !
Total cost with service is over USD 400 !

Just when I wanted a Poly.

Looks like a Chord lost me as a customer forever or a very long time.

They could have priced it better considering I am a customer.

Sorry to hear about that mate, hope you find a new dac you enjoy just as much.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #34,517 of 42,765
Mid tier Samsung galaxy (running UsbAudioPlayerPro in bitperfect mode) + 256gb sd card + 10cm otg cable for around £5.

All under £400 and then with the phone turn on flight mode and battery saver. :ok_hand:

Took you at your word my friend thank you! .... Bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 today, fast 256 card, i had the OTG lead already.
No Sim, flight mode on anyway. ... Sounds fine, bit perect Option checked!

Battery saver mode? .... Does that not also reduce processing speed? .... Or is it enough anyway?
Ive disabled everything i dont require.

Last question, allow Android system update or not? ..... Currently 6.0.1 ... ive disabled auto update.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #34,518 of 42,765
Took you at your word my friend thank you! .... Bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 today, fast 256 card, i had the OTG lead already.

Battery saver mode? .... Does that not also reduce processing speed? .... Or is it enough anyway?

Last question, allow Android system update or not? ..... Currently 6.0.1 ... ive disabled auto update.

Good to hear, UAPP should run very smoothly still with power saver enabled, just recommended it because you’ll get a good few extra hours out of it. If it feels sluggish for some odd reason then maybe disable it.

Regarding software update I’d just leave it to disable auto update, I highly doubt S5 will be updated to anything later than marshmallow now.

Nov 28, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #34,519 of 42,765
Good to hear, UAPP should run very smoothly still with power saver enabled, just recommended it because you’ll get a good few extra hours out of it. If it feels sluggish for some odd reason then maybe disable it.

Regarding software update I’d just leave it to disable auto update, I highly doubt S5 will be updated to anything later than marshmallow now.

Great stuff, thanks again!

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #34,520 of 42,765
bad because plugging / unplugging flexes the solder joints and they break - plus the mojo ports just sit behind a giant hole in the case which, to water or moisture, is like open pipe.

Take a look at any modern smartphone usb port - you'll immediately see the difference.

This is clear, however electrically it is advantageous to have the port directly soldered. Everything is a compromise in the end, I'm happy with the implementation but then I only transport the Mojo inside a waterproof Peli case.

Dude, would you mind awfully to make a small test with the S5? One would be to check the interference with a sim card in and check for interference (only if you're fine with sliding in a SIM card into it) and the second one would be to check if a DSD128 file plays correctly. These are the two things I struggle with the S5 and some other people don't seem to have issues with (at least not with other phones).

Ps. 6.0.1 should be the latest Marshmallow version for the S5.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #34,521 of 42,765
A little moisture and my Mojo’s Board is ruined, amazing how much gap there is around the ports.

Chord prices a replacement at $300 !
Total cost with service is over USD 400 !

Just when I wanted a Poly.

Looks like a Chord lost me as a customer forever or a very long time.

They could have priced it better considering I am a customer.

Its a pain yes, but it can't really be sold as a spare part any cheaper, except perhaps on a part exchange basis. The circuit board is the Mojo, if it were cheaper, people would buy a board, put it in a 3D printed case with a battery and make their own cheap Mojo.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #34,522 of 42,765
Its a pain yes, but it can't really be sold as a spare part any cheaper, except perhaps on a part exchange basis. The circuit board is the Mojo, if it were cheaper, people would buy a board, put it in a 3D printed case with a battery and make their own cheap Mojo.

Exactly!

For we owners would give up a broken board for a new one.

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #34,524 of 42,765
What is the "extension module"?

This.
home_1776_original.JPG

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #34,525 of 42,765
This is clear, however electrically it is advantageous to have the port directly soldered. Everything is a compromise in the end, I'm happy with the implementation but then I only transport the Mojo inside a waterproof Peli case.

Dude, would you mind awfully to make a small test with the S5? One would be to check the interference with a sim card in and check for interference (only if you're fine with sliding in a SIM card into it) and the second one would be to check if a DSD128 file plays correctly. These are the two things I struggle with the S5 and some other people don't seem to have issues with (at least not with other phones).

Ps. 6.0.1 should be the latest Marshmallow version for the S5.

Yep no problem friend,
Ill get to it tomorrow, had a testing few days, need to chill for a night.

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #34,526 of 42,765
How the mojo works as a dac in a normal setup (amp+speakers)?

The lineout is just a volume set or does something (exclude its amp)?

I read so much but still have doubts.

I would like to use mojo also in my main setup because my actual dac is becoming older.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #34,527 of 42,765

I would like to use mojo also in my main setup because my actual dac is becoming older.

Cue the record... Mojo works great in a home system. Don’t doubt; the line out is just a short cut to the variable “A” part of Mojo’s D-to-A conversion. Every DAC also has an “A” out. Usually it’s fixed output at some voltage. Sometimes they have actual amplifier stages after that (which can sometimes be bypassed), with extra electronics. Mojo does not hav an extra amplifier stage, but does have a simple, digitally controlled, variable output. The “fixed output” mode simply sets this at 3V.

This gives you lots of options when using in a home system,like preamp for volume control, playback app, a Mojo volume control of amplifier directly, etc. All will sound great.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #34,530 of 42,765

If you're looking for a permanent DAC for a desktop application, the Mojo is probably not the right choice and sometime like the Mimby is made for that.

If you want a portable device that you can use on battery power in your desktop system, then the Mojo will work. This is what I do and it works great:

(1.) on the go or around the house I use the mojo as it's ultra portable
(2.) When I want to sit down and listen, I trigger the line out mode (take it down to 1.9v) and run it into my Jot on battery power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back