Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 7, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #32,131 of 42,765
Here https://nadelectronics.com/product/c-326-stereo-integrated-amplifier/ it says under the "Line level input, Pre-out" tab, 2V in 2V out. Does that mean that I have to set mojo line level to 1.9V (4 clicks vol. down from the 3V output)? What could happen if I keep it at 3V even if the amp specs says 2V?

There have been posts about this in the past, which would have been easy to find a couple of weeks ago, with the old Head-Fi search this thread option.
From memory, you would have no problem during quiet music passages, but would risk 'clipping' during loud passages, leading to audible distortion.
My arcam amp can handle 2.5V so usually I select 3V then 2 of the -ve button, but occasionally I forget to reduce the voltage, without any problems, but I am not playing my music very loud.

May 7, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #32,132 of 42,765
There have been posts about this in the past, which would have been easy to find a couple of weeks ago, with the old Head-Fi search this thread option.
From memory, you would have no problem during quiet music passages, but would risk 'clipping' during loud passages, leading to audible distortion.
My arcam amp can handle 2.5V so usually I select 3V then 2 of the -ve button, but occasionally I forget to reduce the voltage, without any problems, but I am not playing my music very loud.
I edited the post and added this

The manual says: Maximum input signal >8 Vrms (ref. 0.1 THD)

What do you think? Don't know which is the correct one...

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #32,133 of 42,765
I edited the post and added this

The manual says: Maximum input signal >8 Vrms (ref. 0.1 THD)

What do you think? Don't know which is the correct one...
the manual is probably saying that the design spec is 2V for the minimum distortion, but the amp can cope with 8V but with x% of distortion (eg clipping and harmonics).
It probably means that 8V will not destroy your amp, but maybe your listening pleasure.

So probably some trial and error is needed;
Start at 2V, and then gradually try with one press less of the -ve ball, and see if your music sounds ok.
I am being cautious, because I do not want you to wreck your amp, but you may be able to use 3V without too much difficulty.

May 7, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #32,134 of 42,765
the manual is probably saying that the design spec is 2V for the minimum distortion, but the amp can cope with 8V but with x% of distortion (eg clipping and harmonics).
It probably means that 8V will not destroy your amp, but maybe your listening pleasure.

So probably some trial and error is needed;
Start at 2V, and then gradually try with one press less of the -ve ball, and see if your music sounds ok.
I am being cautious, because I do not want you to wreck your amp, but you may be able to use 3V without too much difficulty.
Ok, I'll follow your advices... thanks much!

May 7, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #32,135 of 42,765
thanks guys for your imput..

per a comparative review below with a mojo against an AK380 i just might await an apple update and keep the mojo/ipod brick...seems my backup dragonfly red might work w iPod touch.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o...r-ak320-vs-a-transport-and-chord-mojo.807992/

GKZZ:
I have both mojo and AK380. My set up are:
A) I pod+Chord Mojo
B) AK380 copper + AMP.
Ear phones: Vision Ears 6xcontrol + Effect Audio Mars wire.

The difference is only about 10% in favor of the AK380, though the price is about 4x of that of IPOD and MOJO.
AK 380 has more ability to dissect complex passages so that the minute details stands out more and more definate, the base is also more pleasing with the 380 too. E.g. Try listening to La Isla Bonita and you will see. All the fine details comes out a touch more definite and clearer, especially when there are so many intruments in the background, all revolving and surrounding your ears.
However, the difference is not night and day, but is there.
If budget allows, get AK380+AMP, otherwise, the MOJO is a fantastic bargain for turning your phone into an amazing instrument.

Mojo anywhere close to it's highest level of source refinement will outperform the AK380 IMO. With a Mojo attached to just an ipod I could see why he prefer's the AK380. He should redo the comparison once Poly is out! :stuck_out_tongue:

May 7, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #32,136 of 42,765
Mojo anywhere close to it's highest level of source refinement will outperform the AK380 IMO. With a Mojo attached to just an ipod I could see why he prefer's the AK380. He should redo the comparison once Poly is out! :stuck_out_tongue:

maybe i'm misreading, but how will the sound on the mojo/poly be any different if the mojo is still the dac?
the ipod only stores the files and feeds them over, so if i'm correct it has no effect on the SQ that the mojo brings to the table.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #32,137 of 42,765
maybe i'm misreading, but how will the sound on the mojo/poly be any different if the mojo is still the dac....ipod only stores the files and feeds them over, right?

One factor is that an ipod (or other dap/phone/transport) connected by cable to the mojo, allows the opportunity for the cable to act as an aerial for RFI). The poly plugged into the mojo, removes the cable/RFI from the equation.

May 7, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #32,138 of 42,765
maybe i'm misreading, but how will the sound on the mojo/poly be any different if the mojo is still the dac?
the ipod only stores the files and feeds them over, so if i'm correct it has no effect on the SQ that the mojo brings to the table.

@Em2016 Use's a urendu/lps-1 and curious cable with his Mojo, he can attest to the improvement an excellent source can make to Mojo. The difference between it, and say, an iPod touch connected to Mojo is quite startling; It's nearly night and day when It comes to extracting the finest of details from a recording and presenting them in a musical and non fatiguing way.

You don't even have to spend that much to bring Mojo to a higher level, just adding a Regen after the iPod touch will elevate it's performance and make it much more enjoyable.

May 7, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #32,139 of 42,765
@Em2016 Use's a urendu/lps-1 and curious cable with his Mojo, he can attest to the improvement an excellent source can make to Mojo. The difference between it, and say, an iPod touch connected to Mojo is quite startling; It's nearly night and day when It comes to extracting the finest of details from a recording and presenting them in a musical and non fatiguing way.

You don't even have to spend that much to bring Mojo to a higher level, just adding a Regen after the iPod touch will elevate it's performance and make it much more enjoyable.

hey guys i'm talking about using the mojo/pod touch vs ak380 in transport/portable mode.
not a fair comparison once you add in a MR, Roon 1.3 and uptone ultracaps lps1 as that config is for stationary usage.
FYI i have that setup, too, for desktop, but am instead using my iFi micro iDSD in lieu of the mojo (i enjoy
the 3D and xBass settings of the micro iDSD...haven't tried the mojo yet).

Em2016 and i are still awaiting to hear from those who already have the MR and LPS1 and who've just bought the newly released uptone iso regen: will it make any diff or not in the SQ (talking about a simple chain).
we hear iFi is coming out with something similar.

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #32,142 of 42,765

Yep the quality of source makes a huge difference to any Dac - even some (not all) Dave owners that I know think the microRendu + LPS-1 is a better source than a directly USB connected computer.

But in this case though @canali already knows this too though with his mRendu and LPS-1 setup ! :) So we're all on the same page ! :)

I reckon alot of USB sources would benefit from a REGEN type device right before the Dac USB input and probably even more with the ISO REGEN because it's got the best signal integrity John Swenson has ever measured - we'll find out from the field reports in a few weeks but my experience with all the advice John has given me in forums and privately via PM, is that he always delivers the goods. I reckon it will be a home run but we'll all see field reports soon enough.

As for the Poly, the great thing is that it's electrically disconnected from the computer - all wireless. The downside though is how do you isolate the Wi-Fi transmitter/receiver. This is the same explanation Jesus from Sonore gave me as to why they prefer ethernet vs Wi-Fi. People are even finding that ethernet's isolation transformer isn't 'enough' and finding great results with optical isolation of the ethernet connection. So some bad stuff is still jumping the moat with ethernet's transformer isolation. So as they say, there's no such thing as a free lunch . I haven't gone down that path of optical isolation by the way. I wouldn't be surprised if the next microRendu has optical isolation at it's ethernet port, give how many people are really finding improvements with this approach.

But I have no doubt Rob and the team have done a great job with the Poly with regards to the WiFi's EMI/RFI and other stuff that may affect the Dac's performance. Rob filters the heck out of RFI. They have complete control of the design and optimising everything. My home WiFi isn't that reliable and I have ethernet throughout so the Poly probably isn't for me though.

Hey @canali for portable use (i.e. not much to carry around) I reckon the iFi iPurifier2 (with microUSB output) and a Curious USB REGEN link would be nice with the iPod Touch. The iPurifier2 would be powered by the iPod. I rate the REGEN better than the iPurifier2 but of course the REGEN needs external power - so not very portable. But the iPurifier2 does improve things, even if not as much as the REGEN.

Cheers gents

May 8, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #32,143 of 42,765

I agree with this but the best thing is to ask the manufacturer.

I emailed PrimaLuna when I got my Mojo for my Dialogue Premium HP Integrated) and they said 3Vrms was a little on the high side even though no damage would occur and recommended to go lower if possible, so I went down to 2Vrms - 4 clicks down from the pre-set output mode of the Mojo.

If they don't reply to you I would recommend 2Vrms based on what miketlse said also.

May 8, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #32,144 of 42,765
I agree with this but the best thing is to ask the manufacturer.

I emailed PrimaLuna when I got my Mojo for my Dialogue Premium HP Integrated) and they said 3Vrms was a little on the high side even though no damage would occur and recommended to go lower if possible, so I went down to 2Vrms - 4 clicks down from the pre-set output mode of the Mojo.

If they don't reply to you I would recommend 2Vrms based on what miketlse said also.
Thanks for the information, I'll keep it 2V (1.9V) from now on, the volume is just perfect with a little adjustement from the amp knob and the clarity and overall musicality of this little thing amazes me every time... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back