Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 22, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #31,293 of 42,765

Isnt the CDM output much weaker than Mojo though?

"Weak" isn't a concern, I'm using CIEMs and I'm sure if I was using headphones the CDM would have more than enough power. Right now I'm using low gain on the CDM and turning the knob about 1/2 of a single turn.  I could turn a lot more if I wanted but I like hearing.  Imagine a wavelength visibly, the line and it's curved hills above and below it.  The Mojo has little hills the CDM has Mountians(and I don't mean that in a frequency response sense, I mean it in a dynamism and largeness sense).  Mojo is incredibly detailed and it's an integral part of my setup being the part that produces the analog output for the CDM to amp.  The CDM increases the distance between the highs and lows making that line I talked about earlier taller above and deeper below, the effect is a larger more dynamic sound.  Soundstage is more spacious and much larger in all directions than mojo and vocals are more upfront closer to the listener.  CDM also makes the high end more present, especially cymbals, high pianos and other high instruments.  It adds a sparkle.  CDM also segregates each frequency/instrument better, there is more space between them so you can clearly see the drummer is in the top right , his cymbal is on the left, and vocalist is on the top left, etc.  Each instrument/frequency is more distinct and easier to isolate, less blurred in together.  CDM is magic when combined with a good analog output from a competent DAC like Mojo.

I just compared Kinglord's Salmon and The Snake on Mojo vs Mojo + CDM.  Mojocdm was way more dynamic, soundstage was way larger with the panning guitars spinning around my head whereas with Mojo they just go a bit from left to right, sounded more live and energetic.  Also there's more sparkle in the top end and high notes are more present.

https://kinglord.bandcamp.com/track/salmon-and-the-snake

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #31,294 of 42,765
I've tried these/ own

K612 - balanced, detailed & smooth
K702 - emphasis on treble, detail & soundstage
K712 - mid focused & more detailed than both but comes at a cost because it can get harsh

Is there anything higher end than the akg with mid forward magic?

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #31,295 of 42,765
Is there anything higher end than the akg with mid forward magic?

Are you talking high end prices or high end sound quality?
wink.gif

Have you tried the AKG K612 pro yet or any other AKG?

Can we take it that you are still looking for something better after your recent purchase of the Beyer T1.2 ?

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #31,296 of 42,765
Are you talking high end prices or high end sound quality? :wink:  

Have you tried the AKG K612 pro yet or any other AKG?

Can we take it that you are still looking for something better after your recent purchase of the Beyer T1.2 ?

Sold the t1. I liked it but I was able to buy it for waaaaaay cheap and sold it for a fair price and made a few hundred. I'm having financial issues right now, so I'm not looking to spend much. I was asking of higher quality sound but (most of the time) that comes with a premium price. However... I don't mind buying used. I have not tried any akg. But I will the 712 as everyone says good things about it.
Also I will be pairing with mojo so the synergy has to be there too if possible. But the answer is higher end sound. And maybe even price a little as I will buy used I can probably snatch up a good deal

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #31,297 of 42,765
Sold the t1. I liked it but I was able to buy it for waaaaaay cheap and sold it for a fair price and made a few hundred. I'm having financial issues right now, so I'm not looking to spend much. I was asking of higher quality sound but (most of the time) that comes with a premium price. However... I don't mind buying used. I have not tried any akg. But I will the 712 as everyone says good things about it.
Also I will be pairing with mojo so the synergy has to be there too if possible. But the answer is higher end sound. And maybe even price a little as I will buy used I can probably snatch up a good deal

Deftone and I agree that the K612 is surprisingly good and is cracking good value - if you are patient and give it sufficient burn in time.

Several people prefer it to the K712.

You could also try the TOTL K812 which I have my eye on - when it gets discounted by Amazon.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #31,298 of 42,765
Mar 22, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #31,300 of 42,765
Really brings out mids and increases sub bass!! :laughing:

How about a dbrand skin. Would that improve sound quality? :D

(just kidding of course)

On that note, a dbrand skin for the Mojo would be rad.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #31,301 of 42,765

How about a dbrand skin. Would that improve sound quality? :D

(just kidding of course)

On that note, a dbrand skin for the Mojo would be rad.

I agree, I wouldn't mind bypassing any scratches with a skin... as I can't for the life of me find a reasonably priced case (doesn't need to be leather - pleather will do).

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #31,302 of 42,765
My question is HOW ON EARTH are there no cheapo silicone skins for these yet?

1. They are cheap as heck
  2. Great impact absorbtion & exceptional protection against scratch, ding
  3. Grip ++
  4. Can be colorful easily
  5. Protects device inside from dust better than leather etc
  6. No complaints from those who refuse to buy leather products
  7. They are good enough for most people's phones but not the MOJO?

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #31,303 of 42,765
There was a dude who I will not name on the forums who thought placing his ak380 in a case changed the signature and being outside I think too.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #31,304 of 42,765
It's not that I refuse to buy a "leather" case for the Mojo... I just would rather spend that towards another pair of headphones... now, if the case were $50 or less... I'd have less of an issue buying it.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #31,305 of 42,765
Why would someone buy an expansive usb cable to connect the mojo to his phone? The whole idea is that tbe dac is in the mojo meaning all the signals between the phone and the mojo are 0 and 1 so if its working... its working. Whats the added value of buying a "good and expansive" cable over the 2 dollar ones from ebay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back