Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 7, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #28,531 of 42,765
Stop blaming Brexit, that is malarkey.

Chord could have just as easily hedged its currency risk to other countries.

Imagine if this obviates the need for a Sonore Rendu and also plays offline Tidal streaming?

Let's wait and see the reviews.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #28,532 of 42,765
Wireless streaming of offline Tidal content to the Poly-Mojo over WiFi is amazing, assuming the performance and SQ are excellent.

I consider that to be a huge achievement.

As to battery-drain of WiFi, I always have a portable battery pack with me if I am out for more than three-hours

For those expecting a screen, please understand how much software is an entirely different realm.

Is it an assumption or do we know that the app control of Poly will happen over wifi? I would have assumed it would be via Bluetooth, which is lower power. The streaming from source to Poly wou,d be wifi, but the phone control would be via Bluetooth. Anyone know for sure?

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #28,533 of 42,765
My Mojo seems to have some weird buzzing when I keep the USB plugged in and the battery is close to full. When the battery drops and I plug in the usb, it works fine, until it's close to max again, when it starts buzzing. Anyone knows what's going on?

Edit: Just to confirm, this happens with the stock cable as well as a secondary cable I have, and the charging light is steady and not blinking.

Mine does exactly the same thing - starts hissing when it's close to being fully charged. I use a 2.1 amp Apple iPad charger. I don't see it as a problem as it's been mentioned many times in this thread that the Mojo can and does emit some noise during charging, and so far in around 8 or 9 months of ownership I've not had an issue with the Mojo.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #28,534 of 42,765
Please does anyone know if the A&K jr works with the Mojo.

If so:

• does it output bit-perfect to the Mojo
  • as the connection is USB, does it miss the first second of albums, and the first second of tracks manually selected?

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #28,535 of 42,765
Mine does exactly the same thing - starts hissing when it's close to being fully charged. I use a 2.1 amp Apple iPad charger. I don't see it as a problem as it's been mentioned many times in this thread that the Mojo can and does emit some noise during charging, and so far in around 8 or 9 months of ownership I've not had an issue with the Mojo.

Same here using Apple chargers.  I've had my Mojo a little over a year and the battery is still operating as well as when I got it.  The whine can be handy to let you know it's almost done charging 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #28,536 of 42,765
I have done an interesting the other day. Mojo and DP-X1 were stacked together, turned on and connected with a short USB cable that came with the expansion kit. Ferrite bead was on, too. The DP-X1 wasn't playing anything and had Wi-Fi on downloading some Tidal albums and I was getting static in my headphones. I thought the cable wasn't good enough, not enough shielding and that the bead wasn't doing its job. Then I unplugged the cable from the Mojo and to my surprise, the static was still there as if the two devices were still connected. My conclusion is that it is not the cable that is causing the interference that causes the static, the issue goes deeper than that. Not much of a problem for me as I listen mostly with DP-X1 in flight mode and there's no static then. So you might think again before buying that expensive 8cm USB cable with half kg of ferrite wrapped around it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #28,537 of 42,765

If so:

1. does it output bit-perfect to the Mojo
  2. as the connection is USB, does it miss the first second of albums, and the first second of tracks manually selected?

I'm pretty sure the AK Jr can't output a digital signal, unless it has received a recent firmware update like the higher end models that I am not aware of.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #28,538 of 42,765
I don't know if this has already been answered but what happens if your phone is dead, will mojo and poly still play? Same if you are on a plane with all connections from phone shutdown.

Now the technology might be great but if it fails to deliver in those 2 scenarios, it's pretty useless to me and certainly priced beyond a point I'd take a punt on it. Perhaps it's something for another release from. Chord, a very simple card reader and button interface without all the other bells and whistles, something that will work alone and make for a screen less DAP.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #28,539 of 42,765

If so:
  • does it output bit-perfect to the Mojo
  • as the connection is USB, does it miss the first second of albums, and the first second of tracks manually selected?

I'm pretty sure the AK Jr can't output a digital signal, unless it has received a recent firmware update like the higher end models that I am not aware of.

Thank goodness I thought to ask here before spending. I would have been bereft had I just bought one blindly.

I am really stuck as to what to use for a transport. I do not know if DAPs like the Sony Walkmans will miss the first second of music. Since it runs by USB I think it's a real possibility.

Again, if I bought a cheap Android phone, I would need software to insert a second's silence. To stop the mojo missing the first second of music.

I just don't know where to start without asking a million questions.

In the end though it puzzles me why the Mojo only does this on USB and not on optical.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #28,540 of 42,765

This is how I use my Mojo on long drives. Using my phone as a Mobile Hotspot, I connect the Chromecast Audio receiver to it, which feeds the Mojo through optical out. As a bonus, passengers can directly stream music from their phones through mine!

Music from the Sony DAC sounds "sluggish" in comparison. I finally understood what people meant when they said that the Mojo has a "lively" presentation :) Thank you, Chord!

Edit: Will purchase Poly as soon as I can afford it :D

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #28,542 of 42,765

Just to close the loop, I received ZY Cables' Lightning to MicroUSB cable yesterday (along w/ AQ Nighthawks! :)). Purchased here. So far, no issues on iPhone 7+ 128GB running iOS 10.1.1. Sample rate reflected correctly on Mojo when playing high-res from Onkyo HF, NePlayer and HibyMusic. Seems to work well (have been running in Airplane mode so don't know about RF rejection). Will see what happens with the next iOS update... Thanks all.

https://youtu.be/7pS5tMdFad8

Just got the same cable.. but its not working for some reason..

This is supposed to be simple plug and play right?

From watching my video do you think its defected? if it is I think ill have to ask for replacement..

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #28,543 of 42,765
Our philosophy with the Mojo/Poly combination is to allow the user to be free from having to handle the devices and focus on listening and control from a device that they use every day. We see the mobile device / computer as the user interface of the future.

The Phone / Computer user interface is and always will provide a much richer user experience. As users update their mobile devices and app vendors update their player products the benefits are seen immediately. If Poly incorporated a screen it would need to be tiny due to it's small size and we believe would limit the user experience. We have looked at these issues very carefully and have drawn different conclusions to yourself but that's possibly because we've been thinking for a far longer time and we had to expand our vision somewhat.

I completely get this. I'm currently carrying an AK70 in one pocket and constantly think how much better it would be to have what would effectively be a remote app for it on my phone (&/or smart watch). Yet anyone that's ever used a remote app will know, in most cases, they often feel constraining and lacking full functionality. For many reasons, being able to use a given service's (such as Tidal), client and the full functionality that that facilitates is great. Don't underestimate for example, the convenience of having access to the lock screen controls of a phone app as well as the physical volume buttons. This was lacking on the Sonos app until fairly recently & was a major pain.

Also, no waiting, in my instance, for AK to update their Tidal app whenever Tidal update theirs.

Another example - as much as I love my Sonos kit at home, having to use the Sonos app (as good as it is), always feels like a bit of a bind; I'd love to be able to open up an app and select my sonos speakers as an output in the same way I would if I were using airplay or Bluetooth. That said, until not that long ago I would have required a physical Sonos controller (and would have no doubt been thinking, "I wish I could control this from my phone")!

Look also at the growing trend for smart tech in general and the reliance of that upon your phone as an interface. As I say, I get this.

All that said.....whilst I appreciate what POLY can and will do and I can appreciate the work that's gone into it, at this point the cost is a barrier for me.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #28,545 of 42,765

If so:

1. does it output bit-perfect to the Mojo
  2. as the connection is USB, does it miss the first second of albums, and the first second of tracks manually selected?
bit-perfect is just marketing. Things bit perfect can still not sound great. Why are you missing the first second of a track? Even the Pioneer range of DAPs offers a great solution to connect to mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back