Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 15, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #27,451 of 42,765
I have no idea :) I'm just saying I expect that they will sound better with a better DAC - assuming there is one or that is possible..sorry to imply otherwise :wink:

Of course if you buy a Chord Dave or other Summit-Fi DAC it may and probably would make your Nobel K10 Encores sound better but then you would lose the portability. The Chord Mojo is certainly not a bottleneck to my Shure KSE1500s. The Mojo pairing makes my KSEs sing and I do not believe their is a better portable DAC available.

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #27,452 of 42,765
Hey guys, i am a proud owner of chord mojo for one month..
I have been using it with my nexus 6 all the time..but today suddenly my nexus and mojo won't connect..
Firstly i think my cable occured some problem so i decided to buy a new otg usb micro..but it also not working..
Anybody know or has the similar problem.?? Is it the mojo the cable or simply my android device problem?
Btw i have tried in samsung 7 and it also not dtected mojo..is s7 not native with mojo?

Please help

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #27,453 of 42,765
Hey guys, i am a proud owner of chord mojo for one month..
I have been using it with my nexus 6 all the time..but today suddenly my nexus and mojo won't connect..
Firstly i think my cable occured some problem so i decided to buy a new otg usb micro..but it also not working..
Anybody know or has the similar problem.?? Is it the mojo the cable or simply my android device problem?
Btw i have tried in samsung 7 and it also not dtected mojo..is s7 not native with mojo?

Please help

Have you got the OTG cable plugged in the right way round?
Some cables have the two USB plugs wired differently, so will only work if the correct plug is used at the phone end.

Dec 15, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #27,454 of 42,765
I've had my mojo for about 11 months now, recently I started noticing electrical noises sometimes while the device is on coming out of the headphones. Has anyone else noticed this? My unit also seems to be running warmer than usual.

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #27,456 of 42,765
@SearchOfSub, external dacs take the same digital data which is being used by the source to convert it to analog by the in built chip. see there are two components in dap, cd players or any other digital music player. first is the data reader ( in cd player it is laser , in dap it is the circuit which reads the stored data in the memory and generates the digital bit stream) and second is the dac which takes the digital data and converts it to analog and output the analog via headphone or RCA out. many cd players and daps have the facility to output the digital bitstream via optical or coaxial . this bit stream is identical to what is being fed to internal dac chip . now that identical data stream can be fed to external dacs. if external dacs suffer from added distortion then why would the companies offer so much more expensive dacs ? digital data can be transmitted exactly like it was in the cd player or dap over the long distance with wire, optically or wirelessly. there may some issues of jitter or rfi emi noise which can be tackled easily .

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #27,457 of 42,765
I am not 100% sure what you mean by active stage. The device is active if it has its own PSU and able to control electricity/electrons. A monitor is an active device. If you were talking in terms of gain, I was referring to the gain of the active device and system in its entirity. Not just the audio gain. Voltage gain, power gain, current gain etc. are all gains and will result in the final audio quality. Lesser is always better if the audio device is half decent IMO. This is reason why id rather just go straight from source like a DAP (AK line)to the headphone if I were to do it all over again for a portable setup.

OFC if Rob decides to make something like a DAP that has the features of AK and more, I'd be purchasing one.
But until then, AK (source) to headphone is best IMO for THIS price range portable setup.

Your argument is spurious as it involves no discussion on actual injected noise or even sound quality!

You might as well say an Apple Nano is better than an AK380 because it has less components.

Time to move on

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #27,458 of 42,765
It takes a while sometimes enjoy the coming weeks your preceptions will forever be remade.

I took note of what I first heard with Mojo in Chicago "Beginnings" horn section.   Although this was impressive, 6 months later, revisiting it and comparing reveals my ability to discern more distinction of the instruments; not limited to just the horns.   The cymbals sustain is something I also compare then and now, and even the 'scratch' of the acoustic guitar strings is clearer.   

The overall experience?

Stunning.   

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #27,459 of 42,765

Your argument is spurious as it involves no discussion on actual injected noise or even sound quality!

You might as well say an Apple Nano is better than an AK380 because it has less components.

Time to move on

I took note of what I first heard with Mojo in Chicago "Beginnings" horn section.   Although this was impressive, 6 months later, revisiting it and comparing reveals my ability to discern more distinction of the instruments; not limited to just the horns.   The cymbals sustain is something I also compare then and now, and even the 'scratch' of the acoustic guitar strings is clearer.   

The overall experience?

Stunning.   

i agree and i really like the way mojo renders cymbals and drum hits.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #27,461 of 42,765
anyone compare the Mojo/mobile phone set up v. Onkyo DP-X1 and can provide comments?  
You asking this on the mojo thread then mojo/phone. By both and you experience it.☺

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #27,462 of 42,765
  I've had my mojo for about 11 months now, recently I started noticing electrical noises sometimes while the device is on coming out of the headphones. Has anyone else noticed this? My unit also seems to be running warmer than usual.

What device are you using as a transport with Mojo?

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #27,464 of 42,765
Originally Posted by Danthrax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

What device are you using as a transport with Mojo?

I'm going out of my pc via optical or usb, the power is being supplied by an anker powerport 5 that was mentioned in the post about which usb power bricks to use.

The next time you hear this noise, please check what charge level Mojo has, at that immediate point in time.

When Mojo is in use, it may (in some circumstances) gradually discharge, even with a charger plugged-in. If Mojo becomes substantially discharged, it will draw more current from the attached charger, and when that happens, it might be that the charger may generate noise (and especially if you are using a charger cable with fairly high resistance).

This is not the only possible cause of the electrical noise you have described, but it is interesting that you said Mojo is running quite warm when it happens, this may concur with the possible cause.

Over the summer, I found the Mojo way too unreliable to use as a desktop DAC. If it was charging and playing at once, it'd shut down far too often due to heat. It actually annoyed me enough that I bought a Modi Multibit as my desktop DAC. The Mojo hardly ever gets to be the desktop DAC now, it's mostly on mobile and travel duty. The upside is that I don't need to mess with replugging stuff when I get home any more.

Not to downplay the legitimacy of your irritation, but did you try turning Mojo on its edge? This makes a substantial difference to the efficiency of thermal radiation.

If you fully charge Mojo then use it in a desktop it will not switch off; the power dissipation that the charger uses in matching the current drawn by Mojo is negligible. You are only at risk when charging and using at red - and indeed as Mython says putting Mojo on its side will solve that issue too.

Just to give you some numbers - fully charged and matching Mojo's current draw the power dissipation is 107 mW for the charger circuit. That will increase running temperature by less than 1 deg C. But at flashing red it is 910 mW for the power dissipation in the charger.

Now I could fix this by using a switcher based charger rather than a linear one - but these inject too much RF noise onto the battery. This would impair sound quality, and Mojo's design goals was that plugging in the charger would have no significant change in SQ - which would not happen if I used a switcher based charger. I am not prepared to damage SQ as to me this is the most important aspect just for a tiny improvement in usability.

Rob

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #27,465 of 42,765
How do mojo and qp1r compare? Not as in, which is better as I will end up with fairly biased results from both threads but from sound characteristics.

If someone listened blind at same level, would it be easy to pick them out? What sound qualities do they bring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back