Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 30, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #21,916 of 42,765

I'm confused, based on listening to spotify premium and games, you sure you don't mean 192 kbs or kilobits per second which is way below even cd sound quality at 44khz.  MP3 and lossless file sample rates are not the same.  And why would you ever spring for a Mojo to listen to mp3, just curious?

You do bring up a point. I tried Tidal maybe 1.5-2 years ago and it was disappointing at that time, not the audio quality but the user interface, song selection, community. I read that they have massively improved by now, maybe I'll give them another shot. Even 320 bitrate mp3's on Spotify, as much as it is super convenient to use and there's a lot of user created content/playlists, is probably not cutting it now that I have better audio equipment. There should be a pretty big difference switching to lossless now.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #21,917 of 42,765
I would much rather focus on the mastering quality than file compression.

MP3 320k, or better - V0 VBR (since it relies more on the psychoacoustic modelling) are transparent for most people.
This means most people cannot detect differences between them and the uncompressed sources.

This is because MP3 and the newer AAC use psychoacoustic model to detect situation during which masking would occur.
To put it shortly - a louder sound with wide spectrum would mask softer sounds in the same band.
A loud sound following a quiet one will make the first one inadubile.

More info at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_masking

Psychoacoustic models divide the sound into multiple bands, trying to mimic the critical bands in our auditory system.
Then they detect the masking and remove information which we would not hear anyway.
The removing is done via decreasing their resolution (by quantizing the MDCT coefficients), e.g. the number of bits to describe the sound level of a given frequency in a given critical band.

Decreasing resolution is more or less decreasing the SNR at that specific frequency, in that specific time slot in the recording by 6dB for a lost bit.

Then the MDCT coefficients are coded statistically and using RLE, similar to what you have in an ordinary file compression.
File compression does not work well with .wav files, but the numerical data of quantised MDCT coefficients can be aligned in such a way so that the efficient coding is possible.

So while 256kbps or 320kbps seem like a lot of information missing from 1.4mbps on CD, it does not mean that you only keep ~20% of the original information.

The AAC and recently developed OPUS codecs have even better psychoacoustic modelling, achieving transparency at lower bitrates than MP3s.

I can't remember where to find it, but there was a whitepaper where both causual listeners and audiophiles were to discern between lossless and high quality MP3s on a high-end system.

Only one person could reliably discern MP3 from lossless, and he was tested to have severe hearing deficiencies. It turned out his brain's psychoacoustics were not working according to the model because of that.

Aug 30, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #21,918 of 42,765
  I can't remember where to find it, but there was a whitepaper where both causual listeners and audiophiles were to discern between lossless and high quality MP3s on a high-end system.

Only one person could reliably discern MP3 from lossless, and he was tested to have severe hearing deficiencies. It turned out his brain's psychoacoustics were not working according to the model because of that.

This is how it'll be:

- "There's no need going above high quality mp3 as you can't hear a difference"
- "Well yeah I can hear a difference, you must have bad hearing"
- "No YOU have bad hearing" <points to whitepaper>
- "No YOU have bad hearing"
continues infinitely

On topic: I received my Mojo a couple of days ago and couldn't be happier. Synergy with SE846 is perfect for my ears!

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #21,919 of 42,765

This is how it'll be:

- "There's no need going above high quality mp3 as you can't hear a difference"
- "Well yeah I can hear a difference, you must have bad hearing"
- "No YOU have bad hearing" <points to whitepaper>
continues infinitely

On topic: I received my Mojo a couple of days ago and couldn't be happier. Synergy with SE846 is perfect for my ears!

LoL...the end of Hi-Res music as we knew it. Goodbye my AK240 & AK380, hello my iPod Touch

By the same logic, any normal human being should be able to survive in under $1,000 per month...and if you are a rich millionaire, you must be a criminal doing all sorts of illegal stuff?

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #21,920 of 42,765
even without jitterbugs I don't hear any noise with mojo. using jitterbug definitely improved the sq. with jitterbug imho sound through USB is better than coaxial of fiio x3 . the difference though minor but it is there. sound via USB is more fluid and open. as per chord, via USB the clock of mojo times the signal instead of source, may be that is the reason sound via USB is more fluid. for me using more jitterbugs further improved the sound as also it was in the case of using small ferrite cores on USB cable.

Aug 30, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #21,921 of 42,765
IMO the transducers will play a big part.

To cut a long story short, I was going back and forth between UAPP+MP3 (LAME Extreme) and JRiver+FLAC both via Mojo to Andromeda. Prior to Andromeda I could not tell a difference at all. With Andromeda the difference was surprisingly evident. I actually noticed it by mistake as I wasn't listening for that at all and had forgotten I had MP3 on the phone. Surprised the hell out of me.

Andromeda is particularly good at treble...maybe this is where the key differentiation space is.

Aug 30, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #21,922 of 42,765
I received the eBay ordered (Micro USB to Lightning Cable) for 49.99 USD.

Only took about 10days from purchasing to arrive here in the UK to my address from China (no tracking number).

Link:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/252476440532?_mwBanner=1

It seems quite well built and i like the white/silver cosmetic appearance. Good strurdy connection to both Mojo and iPhone. A nice angled connection to minimise sticking out.

Sounds good to me, but I have no other comparison to draw upon regarding cable between iPhone and Mojo.

Here are photos:

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #21,923 of 42,765
I received some feedback from Chord Support and they have praise for the Jiiterbug in conjunction with the Mojo. Email from Chord UK.

I purchased as below both the Audioquest Jitterbug and Audioquest Forrest USB/Micro USB cable - both designed to reduce Jitter.

£39 for Jitterbug and £30 for the Forest Cable.

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #21,924 of 42,765
I received some feedback from Chord Support and they have praise for the Jiiterbug in conjunction with the Mojo. Email from Chord UK.

I purchased as below both the Audioquest Jitterbug and Audioquest Forrest USB/Micro USB cable - both designed to reduce Jitter.

I think I would just like to say that all chord Dacs are inherently imuned to any form of Jitter in any case due to the topology of Rob's design so it's likely that it's having some other effect other than jitter reduction.

Aug 30, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #21,926 of 42,765
  Hello everybody!! I hear clicks and pops with the mojo connected to my laptop (surface pro 4). Do you think that it is a mojo related problem (I read it could be due to a problem in the power supply) or is it due to the computer?
Thanks,
Andrea

That clicks and Pops you hear only once while connecting to PC or it is through out ?

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #21,928 of 42,765
Aug 30, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #21,930 of 42,765

I think I would just like to say that all chord Dacs are inherently imuned to any form of Jitter in any case due to the topology of Rob's design so it's likely that it's having some other effect other than jitter reduction.

Quote from Chord email to me:
"We do put a lot of attention into removing Jitter, as we reclock everything that comes into our DACs. But Rob Watts, the guy who designs this technology does believe that the Jitter Bug does make it sound better!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back