Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 29, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #21,886 of 42,788
  Sorry, what I meant was connecting the Mojo with my laptop via USB.

Ex. Playing spotify songs on my laptop would transfer over to the Mojo via USB and output to my headphones that are connected to my Mojo.

Sorry if i'm being unclear or if i'm saying something stupid, I haven't received my Mojo yet(getting it tomorrow!)

No problem. As others have said, that will work absolutely fine. Whether or not you'll need something to reduce noise/jitter largely depends on your laptop. My Macbook produces no discernible noise, and I use both USBs ports to simultaneously use and charge the Mojo.

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #21,887 of 42,788
  Sorry, what I meant was connecting the Mojo with my laptop via USB.

Ex. Playing spotify songs on my laptop would transfer over to the Mojo via USB and output to my headphones that are connected to my Mojo.

Sorry if i'm being unclear or if i'm saying something stupid, I haven't received my Mojo yet(getting it tomorrow!)

i think that the confusion was arising because the mojo has two usb input sockets, one for charging, and one for the music signal.
so the user has several options:
  1. use usb to transfer the music data from the pc to the mojo, and run the mojo on battery
  2. use usb to transfer the music data from the pc to the mojo, and use the other usb to connect to a separate power charger
  3. use usb to transfer the music data from the pc to the mojo, and use the other usb to connect also to a spare usb socket on your pc,( in order to charge the mojo)
  4. use usb to transfer the music data from a different source to the mojo, and use the other usb to connect to a spare usb socket on your pc,( in order to charge the mojo)

it was not clear which option you were referring to. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #21,888 of 42,788
I have not heard the se846, so I can't give you a comparison, but I do use the K10 with the Mojo. I personally find the sound to be nicely detailed. It's also warm, thick, and leaning in the direction of dark (IMHO). If your priorities are detail and clarity, and your heart is set on Noble, I would suggest you consider the Katana. It's new, so there probably aren't many (any?) formal reviews out yet, but it's being advertised as an alternate flagship that emphasizes the characteristics you mentioned.

Exactly so. I demoed the K10 with Mojo and it was very good, highly detailed but keeping the slightly warm signature, but less than the 846. The Katana with Mojo loses that warmth, has excitement in spades, very neutral, and was to me, a perfect match. I don't think I will part them!

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #21,889 of 42,788
Exactly so. I demoed the K10 with Mojo and it was very good, highly detailed but keeping the slightly warm signature, but less than the 846. The Katana with Mojo loses that warmth, has excitement in spades, very neutral, and was to me, a perfect match. I don't think I will part them!

I appreciate your reply.
What would be a step up from se846 in terms of clarity, excitement and forward mids? K10. Savant. Katana? Or something else entirety . I'm also looking for no top end roll off, bass isnt much concern for me. But engagement and forward mids but most of all clarity and resolution

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #21,890 of 42,788
I appreciate your reply.
What would be a step up from se846 in terms of clarity, excitement and forward mids? K10. Savant. Katana? Or something else entirety . I'm also looking for no top end roll off, bass isnt much concern for me. But engagement and forward mids but most of all clarity and resolution

Definitely Katana. No roll off, some may find cutting, especially on poor recordings or low bit rate. But if you want a recording laid bare, it is reference. Wouldn't pair with a sharp sounding DAP, but pairs lovely with Mojo. Makes Mojo sound more Hugo than a Hugo..... oops, I didn't say that!

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #21,891 of 42,788
If you want forward mids, Empire Ears Zeus-IV and the Zeus-R are 2 IEMs you can checkout. And people have confirmed that those pair well with the Mojo.. It will for sure have more clarity and resolution than the SE846..

But for IEM recommendations, I'd suggest you create a new thread on the Introductions and Recommendation forum or, approach some threads like, Empire Ears, Noble IEMs, JH Audio Angie, etc..

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #21,892 of 42,788
I appreciate your reply.

PS - not forward Mids, that's the 846. Katana just flat upon the whole spectrum, which differs as most iems have a tamer treble to my ears. And great imaging. Only similar open iems to me are the Angie and Tralucent 1plus2s. Ie800s also have untamed treble but less soundstage.

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #21,893 of 42,788
PS - not forward Mids, that's the 846. Katana just flat upon the whole spectrum, which differs as most iems have a tamer treble to my ears. And great imaging. Only similar open iems to me are the Angie and Tralucent 1plus2s. Ie800s also have untamed treble but less soundstage.

I absolutely hated Angie. To. Me the best yet has been se846 with mojo. But that may be because I love forward mids and clarity, I just want thr next step up when it comes to forward mids and clarity and top end.

Whatever I get I'll plug it into my sweet mojo so it also has to work decent synergy with mojo

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #21,894 of 42,788
I appreciate your reply.

Mod the blue filter. Than the SE846 has plenty of top end and is quite balanced across the spectrum quite suprisingly. Makes you wonder why Shure didn't have a modded blue filter included standard. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #21,895 of 42,788
Mod the blue filter. Than the SE846 has plenty of top end and is quite balanced across the spectrum quite suprisingly. Makes you wonder why Shure didn't have a modded blue filter included standard. 

I have done all that I guess I'm just looking for the next step up in forward mids and clarity. With a good top end. Se846 is my favorite so far... But I'm sure sure sure there is better

Aug 29, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #21,896 of 42,788
I have done all that I guess I'm just looking for the next step up in forward mids and clarity. With a good top end. Se846 is my favorite so far... But I'm sure sure sure there is better

Then you can perhaps try out the Chord Hugo if you are looking for more clarity? The soundstage is also bigger on the Chord Hugo as an added bonus.

I haven't heard other high-end IEM's so I can't comment which IEM to buy. 

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #21,897 of 42,788

Please see my previous post. 

On a related note though, I have seen some users report that certain IEMs don't pair well with the Mojo. Not that Mojo starts sounding bad. But more regarding the lack of synergy. On such an occasion, you can take the route that UBS28 suggested (meaning, change the source that works best for the IEM), OR, choose an IEM that is known to pair well with the Mojo.

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #21,900 of 42,788
What are some brands or models that are known to NOT work well with mojo

CFA Andromeda sounds dark and muddy, but a $10 Ultimate Ears buffer jack fixes that and brings them to the neutral/bright side of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back