Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 26, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #19,186 of 42,765
Speaking of Tralucent... Plus 5 and Mojo is no joke. Absolutely ridiculous, might be the best combo I've ever heard. It's between my Ref 1 Too and the P5. I'd guess most people would prefer the P5. Ref 1 has more bass, me being a basshead and all...but the P5 is really incredible, paired with the Mojo, in the words of LouisArmstrong absolutely sublime.

spkrs01 I'm beyond impressed with your magic. This iem is very special.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #19,187 of 42,765
For the brothers who enjoy a relaxing yet upbeat rock song with a rock god voice thrown in... take your mojo, connect your IEM/headphone next up, you find work on me by kings of leon and hit play...

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #19,193 of 42,765
Jun 27, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #19,195 of 42,765

Sorry; can you be more specific, please?

Exactly which cable are you referring to?

Cheers

Official iPhone OTG by Chord.

I'm not sure why you think Chord intend to create an 'Official' cable for iPhone.

Mojo is not MFI-certified, so, in order to use an iPhone with Mojo, you need a CCK (Camera Connection Kit) which contains an MFI chip, or a 3rd-party cable made by culling the MFI chip from a CCK, and re-soldering it into the 3rd-party cable.

Chord aren't going to engage in such practices.

Further reading:  www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/1710#post_12016629

Jun 27, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #19,196 of 42,765
Interesting post from Rob in the DAVE thread regarding the AQ Jitterbug:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3435#post_12681548

I have finally gotten round to listen to the AQ jitterbug, as a quest to understand where the RF noise problems from the source was coming from - via the mains or the USB.

Firstly - very much - YMWV as RF noise is a funny thing and source noise may affect other parts of the system, so the findings here may well be different in other circumstances.

So I did the tests with just a Win 10 lap-top (jRiver), Dave and pair of Nighthawks, in a hotel in Singapore. The idea was to try to evaluate whether the SQ improvements I heard when disconnecting the lap-top from mains and running off battery was from the USB connection or via the mains supply. Now Dave is galvanically isolated from LF and RF noise, and this makes a huge difference in SQ. But the galvanic isolation is not perfect as there exists a 2pF coupling capacitance. Now you may think 2pF is nothing to worry about; but at  1 GHz it is nearly 80 ohms impedance, so RF noise in the GHz will couple through - and I know that GHz noise is significant in causing noise floor modulation and hence changing the sound quality.

I used my design lap-top, an MSI Intel i7 machine, as it will be noisier than my music lap-top (HP Pavilion) which is very power efficient. This is so it would be easier to hear any changes.

So adding the Audioquest Jitter Bug did indeed improve SQ - it was fairly easy to hear it, with it sounding smoother, warmer, with less sibilance and glare. Instrument separation and focus was better. These are exactly the kind of change I hear with lower RF noise, so it was not unexpected.

Next was to do the listening test with the lap-top on batteries - and then it became impossible to reliably hear the effect of the jitter bug. Additionally, the improvements heard were much smaller with the jitter bug connected when you disconnect the lap-top power. Here is a rough assessment of SQ performance with 100% for best, 0% for worst:

** BOLD SUMMARY ADDED BY x RELIC x **

Lap-top battery power, no jitter bug       100% - Best quality - no difference with the Jitterbug.
Lap-top battery power with jitter bug      100%. - Best quality - no difference without the Jitterbug.
Lap-top mains power with jitter bug         75%. - Good quality - Jitterbug does improve the SQ.
Lap-top mains power no jitter bug              0%. - Relatively speaking, the worst quality.

So what does this tell us? Basically the most significant path of RF is residual coupling via the USB, not via the mains supply as the jitterbug alone gets you most of the way.

Use the jitter bug for mains powered USB sources - it is worth the small cost.

The best sound is still with a Win 10 lap-top on battery and for critical listening that is what I do. Battery operation and Dave's galvanic isolation means effectively perfect RF noise isolation from the source.

Note also Win 10 is technically better than iOS xx, Android or Linux as these driver less USB's do not guarantee bit perfect data at the DAC; but Chord's Win driver does resend faulty packets, so we can guarantee bit perfect data for Dave. It would be interesting to do a listening test of driver less against Win.

Rob

I have to say that I'm surprised by this, but I trust Rob's methodology and hearing. Basically from a clean battery powered source the AQ Jitterbug adds nothing to the SQ of the DAVE. However, Rob did notice with a Mains powered USB source the AQ Jitterbug did improve the sound, but is still worse than a battery powered source, with or without the Jitterbug. He does note that RF is a tricky beast and difficult to eliminate, even with DAVE's galvanic isolation.

Use the jitter bug for mains powered USB sources - it is worth the small cost

Like I said, interesting... So I would guess that for the Mojo a Jitterbug will also improve the SQ from a Mains powered USB source. I wonder if it would also work well for a battery powered USB source feeding the Mojo, unlike the DAVE (which has galvanic isolation) where no reliable difference could be determined from a battery powered source with the Jitterbug to the DAVE. I must admit this turns my thoughts around 180° from my previous opinion regarding the Jitterbug with Chord gear and RF (not jitter). Also, as Rob mentions, this will vary with different setups and a large YMMV should be considered.

Also note, for clarity, that Rob is NOT saying the Jitterbug increases the sound by 100% with the DAVE (obviously), rather that with the Jitterbug you can get 75% of the way to the SQ of a battery powered source with the DAVE when using a Mains powered source combined with the Jitterbug. Personally I won't try it with the Mojo as I only use it with a battery powered source most of the time with optical input, which is immune to RF anyway.

:)

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #19,197 of 42,765
Interesting post from Rob in the DAVE thread regarding the AQ Jitterbug:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/3435#post_12681548

I have to say that I'm surprised by this, but I trust Rob's methodology and hearing. Basically from a clean battery powered source the AQ Jitterbug adds nothing to the SQ of the DAVE. However, Rob did notice with a Mains powered USB source the AQ Jitterbug did improve the sound, but is still worse than a battery powered source, with or without the Jitterbug. He does note that RF is a tricky beast and difficult to eliminate, even with DAVE's galvanic isolation.
Like I said, interesting... So I would guess that for the Mojo a Jitterbug will also improve the SQ from a Mains powered USB source. I wonder if it would also work well for a battery powered USB source feeding the Mojo, unlike the DAVE (which has galvanic isolation) where no reliable difference could be determined from a battery powered source with the Jitterbug to the DAVE. I must admit this turns my thoughts around 180° from my previous opinion regarding the Jitterbug with Chord gear and RF (not jitter). Also, as Rob mentions, this will vary with different setups and a large YMMV should be considered.

Also note, for clarity, that Rob is NOT saying the Jitterbug increases the sound by 100% with the DAVE (obviously), rather that with the Jitterbug you can get 75% of the way to the SQ of a battery powered source with the DAVE when using a Mains powered source combined with the Jitterbug. Personally I won't try it with the Mojo as I only use it with a battery powered source most of the time with optical input, which is immune to RF anyway.

:)

Sound qualities did improve BUT for me, it was at the cost of transparency. It was like a veil had been added.

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #19,198 of 42,765
My Mojo is about to arrive, meanwhile I've got an Anker PowerPort 5 and a PowerLine Micro USB (this one, 1.8m lenght https://www.anker.com/products/A8133011) for charging as suggested somewhere in this thread. Now, I would use Mojo also as a desktop DAC...how can I connect it to my desktop PC? Is it ok to use the PowerLine Micro USB cable or it's only for charging? The USB cable supplied with Mojo is obviously too short for this purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back