Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 16, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #17,701 of 42,773

Wouldn't you want this to prevent upsampling:

sampling_rates 44100|44100

Yes, I wasn't sure on 48000 vs 44100, I suppose 44100 is more standard

I totally understand the intention to prevent Android auto-upsampling every audio file to 24/192, but does this type of hack accidentally prevent 16/48, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, 24/192, etc. files from being fed to Mojo at their legitimate native, bit-perfect, resolution? In other words, will it accidentally play, for example, a 24/96 file, at 24/44.1 instead of 24/96?

When using the built in players most? of them don't do the higher resolutions. If you use UAPP, or Onkyo they use their own driver and ignore this setting.

May 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #17,702 of 42,773

Is safe to say it is not the Mac Pro end.  The HP there is far more than necessary.
I had no issues using Hugo for DSD128 or DSD256.  I am pretty sure Hugo does not play DSD256 natively.
The Mojo should be able to handle files as well as Hugo, if not even better.

I would suggest close the bluetooth and wifi.  Other than that, Mojo should play DSD256.

Paul

No problem with me running DSD256 via Jriver to Mojo and I'm on a very old MacBook pro that's been on it's last legs for years running snow leopard.  Make sure you have nothing else running, it isn't mojo.

@ Torq: Audirvana might be real-time processing the data, and maxing the available resources (seems unlikely on such a well-specified machine, but it definitely does seem to happen on quite a few devices).

@ Paul:  Mojo can handle even higher-res files than Hugo, iirc.

Thanks chaps ... didn't think it was the Mojo at issue - just making a sanity check.

I'll have a chance to try it with a different machine this evening.  Running without Bluetooth and WiFi is not an option in this case, this is my primary workstation and not something I just solely for listening to music with.  I expect it's something with either Audirvana or the mouse I'm using on this box.  If it works fine on any other Mac, then it's not the spec of the machine.

Thanks again!

May 16, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #17,703 of 42,773
  2 minutes ago i ordered a silver OTG cable after comparing a 50 cm Lindy OTG cable against a 20 cm cable from penonaudio. And there was a sinificant difference - the sound of the long cable was not so clean
beyersmile.png
.  @Rob: do you think the length makes also a difference, so shorter means lesser distortion? Now i believe that also the digital path can be influence the sound. In the past i thought only the analog sound can be affected by using different wire materials.

Hmmm - longer cables can help filter RF noise, by better isolating the source, but then could pick up more by being longer....

Whichever is warmer or smoother is best.

Rob

May 16, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #17,704 of 42,773

Thanks chaps ... didn't think it was the Mojo at issue - just making a sanity check.

I'll have a chance to try it with a different machine this evening.  Running without Bluetooth and WiFi is not an option in this case, this is my primary workstation and not something I just solely for listening to music with.  I expect it's something with either Audirvana or the mouse I'm using on this box.  If it works fine on any other Mac, then it's not the spec of the machine.

Thanks again!

@Torq

Try copying those DSD128 or DSD256 files onto your machine's internal SSD or hard drive, if it's not already there.
I have found that DSD256 files play cleanly when it is on my MBP internal 1TB SSD (think it's s samsung) than when the files are on an USB3 connected 1TB Samsung EVO SSD.

Paul

May 16, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #17,705 of 42,773

@Torq

Try copying those DSD128 or DSD256 files onto your machine's internal SSD or hard drive, if it's not already there.
I have found that DSD256 files play cleanly when it is on my MBP internal 1TB SSD (think it's s samsung) than when the files are on an USB3 connected 1TB Samsung EVO SSD.

Paul

They're already on the internal SSD - that was the first thing I tried (though the external drive is a TB connected SSD array).

Either way, Audirvana should be playing the entire thing from RAM - so what it loads from should not be an issue (doesn't mean it isn't of course, but if Audirvana is doing what it claims then the source drive shouldn't be an issue).

I'm guessing, at the moment, that it's something to do with the Logitech mouse I'm using.

May 16, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #17,706 of 42,773

@Torq

Paul

They're already on the internal SSD - that was the first thing I tried (though the external drive is a TB connected SSD array).

Either way, Audirvana should be playing the entire thing from RAM - so what it loads from should not be an issue (doesn't mean it isn't of course, but if Audirvana is doing what it claims then the source drive shouldn't be an issue).

I'm guessing, at the moment, that it's something to do with the Logitech mouse I'm using.

I'm not personally familiar with Audirvana, but are you certain it's not doing something like upsampling on-the-fly, or perhaps some peculiarity related to pre-processing the file in 64-bit?

May 16, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #17,707 of 42,773
I'm not personally familiar with Audirvana, but are you certain it's not doing something like upsampling on-the-fly, or perhaps some peculiarity related to pre-processing the file in 64-bit?

Audirvana+ doesn't do up sampling with the settings Torq has configured. My guess is that it is either the other programs running or another piece of hardware connected that may cause the pauses. Although the Mac Pro is well spec'd, running DSD 256 is still incredibly taxing for computers and they way they allocate resources to access the CPU and memory may still pause as other software/hardware access the same resources. It could also be the Sysoptimizer pausing playback when another task is requesting resources. I wonder if the Mac Pro is well enough spec'd that turning off the Sysoptimizer would actually help.

May 16, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #17,708 of 42,773
Audirvana+ doesn't do up sampling with the settings @Torq has configured. My guess is that it is either the other programs running or another piece of hardware connected that may cause the pauses. Although the Mac Pro is well spec'd, running DSD 256 is still incredibly taxing for computers and they way they allocate resources to access the CPU and memory may still pause as other software/hardware access the same resources. It could also be the Sysoptimizer pausing playback when another task is requesting resources. I wonder if the Mac Pro is well enough spec'd that turning off the Sysoptimizer would actually help.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Behavior is identical with, or without, Sysoptimizer enabled.  Peak CPU utilization during playback is about 1% for Audirvana, 2% total - the machine isn't taxed at all.  Other than system services, no other applications are loaded, let alone running.  I'm thinking the Logitech mouse receiver is doing something screwy on an interrupt level - may just switch it to Bluetooth mode and see if that helps

Really only posted to make sure there wasn't something peculiar to the Mojo that might be at issue - sounds like not, and that's cool as it's the one thing I didn't have a quick way to test!

Thanks again!

May 16, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #17,709 of 42,773
  That's why working in audio as a designer is so fascinating - amazingly small things can have a surprisingly big influence on the sound. The fun is trying to understand the why's and how's, then getting further improvements that allows one to enjoy music more.

What other human activity combines science, engineering and emotional enjoyment together?

Golf for one...
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #17,710 of 42,773
Yes, I wasn't sure on 48000 vs 44100, I suppose 44100 is more standard

When using the built in players most? of them don't do the higher resolutions. If you use UAPP, or Onkyo they use their own driver and ignore this setting.

Thanks for the continued efforts. It seems progress is being made. Can't wait to give this a try.

May 17, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #17,711 of 42,773
Has anyone been lucky in hearing any news on the hard case yet? I even wrote to BlueBird Music (Official Chord Distributor for USA) and I have not heard back yet..

May 17, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #17,712 of 42,773
  Has anyone been lucky in hearing any news on the hard case yet? I even wrote to BlueBird Music (Official Chord Distributor for USA) and I have not heard back yet..

There is a retailer in Dallas that BlueBird Music connected me with when I contacted them. The sell the Mojo in Texas. This is their website:

http://www.audioconceptsonline.com/

May 17, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #17,713 of 42,773

There is a retailer in Dallas that BlueBird Music connected me with when I contacted them. The sell the Mojo in Texas. This is their website:

http://www.audioconceptsonline.com/

Thanks for this. I will reach out to them to see if they will be receiving the cases..

May 17, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #17,714 of 42,773
Any news on the Mojo extension box? Need one to stack it properly with DP-X1 using rubber bands. Will be experimenting stacking with magnets soon (metal plate on DP-X1 under Dignis case, Mojo Dignis case already has a metal plate under leather, plus strong 50mmx 5mm disc magnet) but the extension box would make it look so much better.

May 17, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #17,715 of 42,773

Users who are viewing this thread

Back