Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 13, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #17,566 of 42,765
  I just purchased the Mojo, and I am looking for a good pair of IEM's up to $700 that would be a good fit with the Mojo. I don't know if it makes a difference if you own the Mojo to know which IEM's work best. I am relatively new to audiophile in the portable audio sector. I don't want IEM's that have a completely different soundstage than the Mojo, so they are not fighting against sound of the Mojo sound quality since that is why I decided to buy the Mojo over other DAC/AMPS.

I almost decided to buy the Onkyo DP-X1 instead of the Mojo, because of having an iPhone 6s Plus, because I was concerned about having to run my audio files through the stupid CCK chip, and Apple's refusal to use micro usb like 99% of the other phone companies! I ended up deciding to go with the Mojo, because every review of the Mojo's sound quality seemed a little better then the DP-X1. Also, the fact I can use the Mojo with a variety of different audio sources. My question is if I buy a DAP as my audio source what would be a good DAP to use that has a very good UI (possibly Android based for Tidal, and other streaming apps), large storage capacity, and ability to play most file types. Don't want to go crazy on a $$$$DAP. Something under $500. 

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Onkyo DP-X1

2 SD card slots can take 200Gb SD cards plus onboard 32Gb
Can install Tidal
Plays MQA and if your Mojo runs out of juice a more than capable back up as a stand alone

PIONEER XDP100R

2 SD card slots can take 200Gb SD cards plus onboard 32Gb
Can install Tidal
Plays MQA and if your Mojo runs out of juice a more than capable back up as a stand alone

(These are similar DAPS Onkyo Dual DAC and Dual AMP, Pioneer single DAC and AMP)

There maybe other DAP's available that will allow installation of Tidal

BUT

I don't know of any other DAPs that have Android Play Store, other readers might be able to chip in here.

PS
L3000.gif

Yes I did read your original ,message.

Quote:
  I just purchased the Mojo, and I am looking for a good pair of IEM's up to $700 that would be a good fit with the Mojo. I don't know if it makes a difference if you own the Mojo to know which IEM's work best. I am relatively new to audiophile in the portable audio sector. I don't want IEM's that have a completely different soundstage than the Mojo, so they are not fighting against sound of the Mojo sound quality since that is why I decided to buy the Mojo over other DAC/AMPS.

I almost decided to buy the Onkyo DP-X1 instead of the Mojo, because of having an iPhone 6s Plus, because I was concerned about having to run my audio files through the stupid CCK chip, and Apple's refusal to use micro usb like 99% of the other phone companies! I ended up deciding to go with the Mojo, because every review of the Mojo's sound quality seemed a little better then the DP-X1. Also, the fact I can use the Mojo with a variety of different audio sources. My question is if I buy a DAP as my audio source what would be a good DAP to use that has a very good UI (possibly Android based for Tidal, and other streaming apps), large storage capacity, and ability to play most file types. Don't want to go crazy on a $$$$DAP. Something under $500. 

My advice: don't get a dap.  You have one of the best DAP's for pairing with DAC's in the world in the iphone6s plus, it'll send all audio to Mojo from ALL apps bitperfect-Android only does this through certain apps.  The CCK will not downgrade audioquality in any way IMO.  If you really hate the CCK, there are people who are making custom cables to use with Iphone + mojo so you don't have to use CCK.  Take that extra money and put it toward a sick pair of CIEMs.  That'll push your CIEM budget to $1200, $500 + $700.  I can't speak for other CIEMS's but I love my ADEL A12's with the **B1** module(not the S1 module) w/Mojo.  IMO if you're going to spend that kind of money-you should get a custom.  Many companies are using 3D printing now so if your impressions are done correctly by someone competent and who is familiar with doing them for CIEMs, you should have no fit issues.  Also the phone will already do everything you need with regard to apps so you won't be hunting for an external player with android.  Onkyo HF in the appstore will allow you to send any format up to DSD and all of it bit perfect to Mojo.  Plus you'll be carrying around less; phone + dap +mojo vs phone + mojo. 
If you get CIEMs instead of IEMs, you don't have to mess around with tips-wondering if you have the best sound wih tip x or y since you already have a perfect fit.

I agree the iPhone is more than capable.

But @Fausty any suggestions are limited by two of your requirements

1. Storage of 400Gb and
2. Tidal or streaming apps

confused_face_2.gif

May 13, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #17,567 of 42,765

I am enjoying the K3003 IEM's immensely from AKG. A little dated maybe, but all the more chance to get them for a bargain price, perhaps, and with some tweaking they really deliver an otherworldly sound. I have them set up with Comply TS500 tips and the white filters and truly they give the T1's (my go-to over ear headphones) a run for their money.

Ref the front-end, I personally don't like using a phone as an interface for many reasons (glitchy, noisy, prone to interrupting me, poor interface, no dedicated buttons, "it's only a phone!", etc). I am using the FiiO X3ii which pairs well but for the non-standard cabling. Perhaps shop around for the X3 1st gen which you could probably pick up for next to nothing now and uses a standard coaxial out cable. If you do want to go Android, the fiio X7 is a great option, but a bit expensive. It would be great to start to see transport-only DAPs on the market; at least you know your money's not being wasted on an unused DAC and Amp internally :) - Oh, and the Ibasso DX90 many people have had great pairings with (almost a perfect match size-wise).

Enjoy the Mojo, it's strengths will only grow on you as you listen more! Each time I listen it's a fresh moment of joy :)

May 13, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #17,569 of 42,765

A cheaper option - and the one I prefer - is to buy a used Samsung Galaxy S4 and strap/velcro/affix it to the Mojo. S4s can be found for under $100 on eBay, can accept up to a 200gb microSD card, and plays nicely with the USB Audio App. As an added bonus, it also has a replaceable battery.

If you go on the Android forums, you may find other used phone recommendations as transports, but all of us like the S4 for this purpose. 

Since you really just need a transport, a decent, relatively recent Android phone is all you need. It's redundant to pay for a separate DAP, especially if you're just going to by-pass the DAP's DAC and AMP to feed the Mojo anyway. 

May 13, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #17,571 of 42,765
Does the iPhone 6s really relay bit perfect without the likes of Onkyo HF player? (more to the point is there native FLAC support now?)

As far as I know, yes.

Native as in the standard music app? Via iTunes? No. That's Alac support, not Flac. But there are plenty of players, like VOX and Onkyo HD etc that allow this.

Cheers.

May 13, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #17,572 of 42,765
  I'm trying to charge the mojo at work and its blinking with purple light every 3 or 4 seconds off then 3 seconds with purple LED on.  Usually when I charge it it stays constant color LED.  What is happening?

Reminds me of a post a few weeks ago, where the blinking light was caused by the charger not delivering enough current, so the charging circuit shuts down for a few seconds, then starts up again and tests the current, and then shuts down again. This start charging then stop charging cycle repeats every few seconds ad infinitum, until a more powerful charger is used.

I may be wrong in your case, but search the thread, and hopefully you will find the post by rob watts explaining everything. 

May 13, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #17,574 of 42,765
So, I've got a used mojo that is a few months old. Mine lasts approx. 8 hours of continuous play with my IEMs at right below yellow red volume. Played about 2 hours a day on avg. Is this normal or should it last longer since it is advertised as max 10 hours. It seems 8 hours with IEMs is way too short, can only guess how much it would last with full sized cans. Orb brightness is on low.

Yes, 8 hours is normal. Contrary to what you may think, sensitive earphones actually draw more current than high impedance earphones, which need more voltage than current, and will drain the battery faster. I've seen this confirmed in other threads with representatives from FiiO, Questyle, Cayin, and right here by Chord in the Mojo thread.

May 13, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #17,575 of 42,765
Good morning everyone,

My apology if this has been addressed before but it's kind of hard to go through 1171 pages. And yes, I've seen post #3, reading through it one subject at a time. I got 2 questions for you mojoheads

1. I feel like my Apple SE sounds noticeably better as a source (USB + CCK cable) than my 2014 Macbook Air (using same USB cable)!?
(on macbook air, I switched MIDI settings to various samples between 44 and 768 and couldn't tell any difference. Haven't tried DSD)

2. When using iphone SE, the sound coming out of mojo switches to whatever EQ preset is selected on iphone!?

I thought a DAC was taking lifeless 0 and 1s to convert them into a flavored analogue representation. So my how come the 0 and 1 seem to arrive to mojo's DAC section with what ever flavor my iphone's EQ is set on?

Btw, mojo is no snake oil! Love the illuminated balls as control. And... I cross my fingers, no interference with iphone SE so far.

Thank you!

2. The EQ is digital manipulation of the data in software before it sends the data to the Mojo to be converted to an analogue signal so it's normal to be active when using the Mojo.

May 13, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #17,576 of 42,765

I'm trying to charge the mojo at work and its blinking with purple light every 3 or 4 seconds off then 3 seconds with purple LED on.  Usually when I charge it it stays constant color LED.  What is happening?

Reminds me of a post a few weeks ago, where the blinking light was caused by the charger not delivering enough current, so the charging circuit shuts down for a few seconds, then starts up again and tests the current, and then shuts down again. This start charging then stop charging cycle repeats every few seconds ad infinitum, until a more powerful charger is used.

I may be wrong in your case, but search the thread, and hopefully you will find the post by rob watts explaining everything. 

Yes this seems to be the case.  I was using two different 1A Apple chargers with same results now I have it on a USB portable power battery and it is constant LED.  I thought that I used apple 1A chargers to charge it in the past so I'm not sure why it does not work now?

May 13, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #17,577 of 42,765
  Yes this seems to be the case.  I was using two different 1A Apple chargers with same results now I have it on a USB portable power battery and it is constant LED.  I thought that I used apple 1A chargers to charge it in the past so I'm not sure why it does not work now?

Strange,

I thought that it was 1A minimum that is needed, so I would have expected your Apple chargers to work.
If it keeps happening with the Apple chargers, try a Samsung phone charger, because they provide more current, and are often recommended on this thread. 

May 13, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #17,578 of 42,765
is there anyway at all where we can expand the storage on my iphone 128 giga, and at the same time connect the iphone to the mojo

May 13, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #17,579 of 42,765
is there anyway at all where we can expand the storage on my iphone 128 giga, and at the same time connect the iphone to the mojo

The only way to do it is with a portable WiFi hard drive ... and those require you use the proprietary "Media Browser/Viewer/Player" apps to access the content (which tend to be clunky and naff).

May 13, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #17,580 of 42,765

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-add-more-storage-to-an-ios-device/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back