Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 15, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #16,066 of 42,765

On the 'transport' side of things, I really don't see it as direct competition, but that's just my opinion

I think there's definitely room in the market for both, although I understand Fiio's apparent nervousness about how small or large the 'digital transport' niche actually might be.

Fiio are talking about needing a firm 10,000 backers, minimum, to proceed.

Mojo has already sold close to 3 times that, so it'll be interesting to see how many Mojo customers buy into the Chord add-ons (my guess is at least 1/3rd, and probably more)

I think FiiO isn't seeing the big picture. They could even double down by marketing a pairing of the T3 with their upcoming Q5. Won't be as good as the Mojo, but there are so many uses for such a device, including desktop setups.

James has mentioned they are considering that.

Anyway, as I said, I think there is plenty of room in the market for both Chord and Fiio, and I really don't view the situation, on the transport side of things, as directly-competitive; only on the DAC side, and there are numerous competing DACs on the market, anyway!

Because the Chord add-ons are (AFAIK) being developed exclusively for use with Mojo (directly-attaching to Mojos ports and chassis), the only proportion of potential sales one could argue that Fiio might 'lose' (I use the term 'lose' only lightly, within this particular context) are from Mojo customers, and, therefore, any such Mojo-owners who did, perhaps, decide to buy the Fiio transport, instead of Chord's dedicated add-on, Fiio would actually have Chord to thank, since without Mojo, they might not need any transport, from any company, whatsoever, so its 'swings and roundabouts'
wink.gif

As for Chord potentially losing some business as a consequence of some Mojo-owners buying a Fiio transport, instead of a Chord add-on, well, that's a different matter, but I don't think John will be losing any sleep, as Mojo has been so successful, that even 1/4 or 1/3rd of the ever-growing number of Mojo customers, will be a sufficient sales figure for the add-on.

Apr 15, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #16,068 of 42,765

Thanks a million!
god bless you.
:)

--------------------------------------------------------

hey mython just a quick last question please,
do you know how many ms should be in the buffer length over the output category?

You may need to experiment a little, but please read the related posts about 'Setting-up Foobar', in post #3 for some pointers

That section isn't as detailed as I'd like, but I'm not a Foobar expert, so I add bits to it, as and when I see anything useful cropping-up in this thread.

Apr 15, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #16,069 of 42,765

Anyway, as I said, I think there is plenty of room in the market for both Chord and Fiio, and I really don't view the situation, on the transport side of things, as directly-competitive; only on the DAC side, and there are numerous competing DACs on the market, anyway!

Because the Chord add-ons are (AFAIK) being developed exclusively for use with Mojo (directly-attaching to Mojos ports and chassis), the only proportion of potential sales one could argue that Fiio might 'lose' (I use the term 'lose' only lightly, within this particular context) are from Mojo customers, and, therefore, any such Mojo-owners who did, perhaps, decide to buy the Fiio transport, instead of Chord's dedicated add-on, Fiio would actually have Chord to thank, since without Mojo, they might not need any transport, from any company, whatsoever, so its 'swings and roundabouts' :wink:  

As for Chord potentially losing some business as a consequence of some Mojo-owners buying a Fiio transport, instead of a Chord add-on, well, that's a different matter, but I don't think John will be losing any sleep, as Mojo has been so successful, that even 1/4 or 1/3rd of the ever-growing number of Mojo customers, will be a sufficient sales figure for the add-on.

Well, you know that we pretty much agree on much of this.

:beerchug:

Apr 15, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #16,071 of 42,765

Because the Chord add-ons are (AFAIK) being developed exclusively for use with Mojo (directly-attaching to Mojos ports and chassis), the only proportion of potential sales one could argue that Fiio might 'lose' (I use the term 'lose' only lightly, within this particular context) are from Mojo customers, and, therefore, any such Mojo-owners who did, perhaps, decide to buy the Fiio transport, instead of Chord's dedicated add-on, Fiio would actually have Chord to thank, since without Mojo, they might not need any transport, from any company, whatsoever, so its 'swings and roundabouts'
wink.gif

There will always be those who may get both depending on when either was released. As yet the Fiio "Transport" (that's another discussion for a different thread) have stated their proposed specs but as yet the Mojo SD Module is still unknown to us generally.

I personally would love an SD attachment to my Mojo because at the end of the day I personally will be looking for the simplest, cleanest, most reliable path to Mojo as possible
beerchug.gif

Apr 15, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #16,072 of 42,765
So after owning the Mojo for a few weeks I have to say that it is an amazing DAC regardless of size. Speed, detail, neutrality, soundstage, everything checks off for me in those areas.

But, my 1994 Theta has held its own. I was worried it was going to be outclassed in every way but that was not the case. The Theta is still a reference sound and technology since the 90s hasn't advanced to the point that what people thought sounded "good", really has changed much.

It is more likely that we have come to the point technology has been degrading our sound quality by opting out for the easy way and aiming at technical numbers and specs instead of what ours ears like.

Rob mentioned that modern DACs can give back a bitperfect signal, but that includes all the errors in the time-domain that have not been corrected. Mike Moffat has also made this same point, and he designed the Theta DACs in the late 80s/early 90s and addressed this by using a Motorala DSP56001 with ROM memory containing the "burrito filter" algorithm.

Both of these DACs are absolute beasts when it comes to imaging and soundstaging. Nothing ever sounds boxed in, sounds make you turn your head around thinking you heard something real behind you.

The Theta has more midrange/bass drive and emphasis. This is a very noticable characteristic of the 90's Theta DACs including the TOTL Gen V-A. They are very ballsy without ever sounding thin or dry, but at the same time they never sacrifice detail or the epic soundstage. Always a laidback experience if that is what is in the track, and forward if its recorded that way.

The Mojo outclasses the Theta in upper frequency details. No doubt, the Mojo is more accurate with better decay and textures in the upper end. This is very slight, but noticable. Also, the Mojo sounds better than the Theta when playing back anything 24-bit. I downsample all my 24-bit music to 16/44.1khz when I listen to my Theta. There is simply more detail when listening to hi-res music through the Mojo versus the Theta.

Now here is what surprised me. CD quality/Redbook sounds as good if not better than the Mojo when played through the Theta. Now that I think about it, the Theta was designed with only that level of quality in mind so it should sound better with CD quality considering the DAC designers have forgot what the late 80s/90s were all about.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #16,074 of 42,765
  I am doing an event in Singapore next Saturday, with presentations about Dave and Mojo, with plenty of time to talk about other things.

Rob

Hopefully available on youtube at sometime?

Apr 16, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #16,075 of 42,765

I

I have them. They sound fantastic. Of course they leak sound, but I find them to be an amazing partnership.
Interestingly, in comparison to the Grado's, I find other HP's and IEMs to be less 3 dimensional. The Grado's with Mojo sound less like an inside the head source. The illusion is that the sound is coming from in front of me, like a loudspeaker. Going back to other HP's is a surprise as they don't project forward in the same way.

+1   The Mojo and Grado 1000i's sound amazing -> together they render 3-dimensional space and the human voice with an uncanny natural precision.  The Mojo preserves the spatial cues and the natural quality of the human voice which comes thru the Grados in an almost holographic fashion.  Joe Grado (an opera singer himself) would be proud.

To see what I mean =>  listen to the great 1959 Decca recording of Verdi's Aida [Tebaldi, Bergonzi, MacNeil, Simionato, von Karajan and the Vienna Philharmonic] where producer John Culshaw went to great lengths to reproduce the spatial complexities of Verdi's work.  The sense of depth in Act 1, Scene 2 inside the temple is something quite extraordinary and even more so for an almost 60 year old analog recording.

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #16,077 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back