Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 10, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #15,661 of 42,765
  Can someone please shed some light on Mojo's tonality compared to the Fiio X3ii, X7 and Onkyo DP-X1?

What follows isn't my own opinion, as I haven't personally heard the X7, but it was posted in this thread, recently, and may be of interest to you:

Quote:

Hello, would appreciate if you could compare the X7 stand alone to Mojo. I'm using the Mojo currently on loan for about 2 weeks till I decide on my purchase. As far as I remember the X7 when I had it for a brief demo for a couple days, it had more treble detail or rather emphasized treble. But the Mojo, despite sounding smoother and warmer in tone, has a brilliant treble response in my opinion, only it isn't emphasized. Everything seems to sound just more realistic through the Mojo. And yes, I've almost made up my mind for the purchase after the demo run. Thanks in advance, cheers

You basically hit the nail on the head and described the exact same differences I heard when I had both for comparison.

@ShreyasMax X7 has more sparkle, but I too prefer mojo. The Mojo does everything a little better. To me, it just sounds more natural, the individual instruments and voices sound more coherent yet they sound separate. Very easy to hear all the sounds. Sorry, best I can really do

Thanks for your inputs, that's exactly what I thought.

Cheers

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #15,662 of 42,765
I've come to really appreciate the Chord Mojo as well as the thoughts that designer Rob Watts shares. If he was just another industry guy selling words rather than his knowledge and research, he wouldn't say that he himself prefers PCM over DSD. I think that right there sets him apart, while also still making Chord DSD capable.

I haven't been able to try DSD yet myself but I know that with my 16-bit 44.1khz FLACs I don't think I am missing anything unless it wasn't contained in the master.

I love how accurate the Mojo is, even though it doesn't have quite the drive or power of my Theta DAC that sits on my desk, I feel the highs are more accurate and the dynamic range of 125 dB is apparent versus the 106db of the PCM67P in the Theta( that is a 20+ year old DAC).

But when it comes to midrange and overall presentation there is no clear winner, I think the Theta will be favored by people though who prefer a sound with more weight while the Chord Mojo has laser quick detail and excellent spacial presentation and imaging much like the Theta that uses custom DSP algorithms to solve the time-domain issue.

Now if the Theta had the accuracy of the Mojo and still carried the same weighty and meaty presentation then it would probably be the Yggdrasil or something from MSB or the Chord Dave. That is my ideal end-game sound.

Another interesting thing is that the designer of my old Theta is Mike Moffatt. He is another DAC pioneer who has never stood by or praised DSD but I think his designs and knowledge are also changing the way people have thought about DACs in general. Instead of slapping an ESS Sabre in it and calling it a DAC these men are doing what made their products stand out from the rest of the crowd much like how the Theta DS Pro Gen V or the Chord DAC64 changed the game.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #15,663 of 42,765
I find my X3ii to be neutral leaning towards warmth. Although X3ii is a great little player, it seems the A10 IEM could benefit from a better source (by better, I mean a more capable device). I prefer something a bit more neutral than the X3ii. So I am trying to decide between the Mojo, X7 and DP-X1. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

I have not heard the X7 but I do own both the Onkyo DP-X1 and the Mojo.

When I am looking for that all engaging listening experience. I have found the Mojo keeps that smile on my face. The soundstage and depth of that soundstage is what really grabs me as long as being able to manage anything thrown at it, that along with the ability to be used as a portable device and just as capable as a home unit and the ability to drive virtually all headphones currently available.

For this reason I choose the Mojo every time as my No.1 choice.

The DP-X1 is also a great device, not as powerful when paired with some demanding head phones, but does have a balanced out, Android 5.1, the ability to connect via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth and will be MQA compatible once released as a FW update and double micro-sd expandability.

In SE mode IMO there is no competition Mojo wins hands down. In balanced mode the DP-X1 puts up more of a fight but still I prefer the Mojo

Currently I tend to use my DP-X1 mostly as a transport for my Mojo but when I need to travel light the Onkyo is more than capable for that task.
L3000.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #15,664 of 42,765

What follows isn't my own opinion, as I haven't personally heard the X7, but it was posted in this thread, recently, and may be of interest to you:

Originally Posted by masterpfa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In SE mode IMO there is no competition Mojo wins hands down. In balanced mode the DP-X1 puts up more of a fight but still I prefer the Mojo

Mython and Masterpfa, thank you for your help!

@masterpfa , how would you compare the tonality of the Mojo and the X1? Meaning, if Mojo is considered to be neutral, is the X1 warmer or brighter than the Mojo?

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #15,665 of 42,765
Currently I tend to use my DP-X1 mostly as a transport for my Mojo but when I need to travel light the Onkyo is more than capable for that task.
L3000.gif

usb output to Mojo or is there another type digital output on the DP-X1 and if it is usb only, any downside to no digital out?

edit - rephrasing

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #15,666 of 42,765
USB out is digital out too. Not sure as I don't own the dp-x1, but I thought it had coax digital out.

If I had to choose between any dap or mojo, I'd take mojo and use it with my phone. Mojo is something special. I've owned AK devices up to the 240 and Sony zx2, from memory mojo sounds better. Mojo wows me, while the daps sounded great, but no wow factor.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #15,667 of 42,765
I've come to really appreciate the Chord Mojo as well as the thoughts that designer Rob Watts shares. If he was just another industry guy selling words rather than his knowledge and research, he wouldn't say that he himself prefers PCM over DSD. I think that right there sets him apart, while also still making Chord DSD capable.

I haven't been able to try DSD yet myself but I know that with my 16-bit 44.1khz FLACs I don't think I am missing anything unless it wasn't contained in the master.

I love how accurate the Mojo is, even though it doesn't have quite the drive or power of my Theta DAC that sits on my desk, I feel the highs are more accurate and the dynamic range of 125 dB is apparent versus the 106db of the PCM67P in the Theta( that is a 20+ year old DAC).

But when it comes to midrange and overall presentation there is no clear winner, I think the Theta will be favored by people though who prefer a sound with more weight while the Chord Mojo has laser quick detail and excellent spacial presentation and imaging much like the Theta that uses custom DSP algorithms to solve the time-domain issue.

Now if the Theta had the accuracy of the Mojo and still carried the same weighty and meaty presentation then it would probably be the Yggdrasil or something from MSB or the Chord Dave. That is my ideal end-game sound.

Another interesting thing is that the designer of my old Theta is Mike Moffatt. He is another DAC pioneer who has never stood by or praised DSD but I think his designs and knowledge are also changing the way people have thought about DACs in general. Instead of slapping an ESS Sabre in it and calling it a DAC these men are doing what made their products stand out from the rest of the crowd much like how the Theta DS Pro Gen V or the Chord DAC64 changed the game.

I'm on Rob side too. I tried PCM>DSD conversion & native DSD files; no difference.
I also read many blog posts about DSD from both audio pros & enthusiast. Most of them state that DSD is just marketing play as a result of poor CD sales.

Mastering is far more important than format. Heck, many hi-res files are worse than well-mastered 16/44.1, especially modern recordings.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #15,668 of 42,765
USB out is digital out too. Not sure as I don't own the dp-x1, but I thought it had coax digital out.

If I had to choose between any dap or mojo, I'd take mojo and use it with my phone. Mojo is something special. I've owned AK devices up to the 240 and Sony zx2, from memory mojo sounds better. Mojo wows me, while the daps sounded great, but no wow factor.

currently using an LG Nexus 5 as my transport with Mojo and do realize it is digital out, and to be honest optical is limited compared to Mojo in terms of total output. I am just debating whether to get the DP-X1 or its cousin from Pioneer and was curious to know if usb to DAP or Digital Coax/Opti was a better option for some who have done the leg work already

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #15,669 of 42,765
Sorry, I can't help there brother. I do prefer the digital coax out on my X7 over usb. I don't like the setup, cables drive me crazy. I'll try to give it more of a listen today to see if there is an audibke difference.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #15,670 of 42,765
just ordered the creative e5 to pair with mojo just to see what it will add to the table 

I will let u know what I will get from that combo

and i will also compare both as stand alone dac/amps

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #15,673 of 42,765
A bit OT but has anyone managed to convert the 8 Ensemble DSD to flac ?

I've tried and it just won't happen maybe because it's such a high frequency, this is using dbpoweramp converter any suggestions of any other converter that would work ?

Cheers

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #15,674 of 42,765
A bit OT but has anyone managed to convert the 8 Ensemble DSD to flac ?

I've tried and it just won't happen maybe because it's such a high frequency, this is using dbpoweramp converter any suggestions of any other converter that would work ?

Cheers

yes I have... took the 256 files to flac and I don't remember if I went lossless, although I doubt it since they total 358 MB in size for all 8 files

Users who are viewing this thread

Back