Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 10, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #15,646 of 42,765
I'm sure this has been mentioned here before but in case you missed it: 

If you don't like the CCK between iPhone and Mojo (I hate it), the L19 cable from FiiO works perfectly. It's just the right length for iPhone and Mojo to sit side-by-side, or to stack back-to-back if that's your thing. Basically, it's neater and tidier.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #15,647 of 42,765
Not that there are many consensus agreement among audiophiles on much of anything, sans Mojo,

has a consensus arisen on a apple by-passing cord for iPhone?

We've got a few from 3rd post, but not a lot of commentary on which works best, or which produces static. 

Can you tell I'm getting impatient for the CCK swallowing module? 

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #15,649 of 42,765
Just want to check, is it common for the USB data port to lose connection from a slight upward motion? Had an issue with that, and got it exchanged (great service from carlton audio visual) but the new unit I have now is exhibiting the same problems fresh out of the box. Pretty inconvenient, nothing I couldn't live with, but it pretty much eliminates it as something I can put in my pockets. Is the loose USB data port common or did I just get a bad batch?

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #15,651 of 42,765
I would prefer if I heard no difference because the AK100 mk2 stacks better and has a much better battery life, but there, I said it.

All the tests we do, we have to be prepared sometimes for findings we wish we didn't. Recently I've been switching over with different cans and iems between Mojo and Hugo, hearing much more of a difference than I believed previously :wink:

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #15,653 of 42,765
  Just want to check, is it common for the USB data port to lose connection from a slight upward motion? Had an issue with that, and got it exchanged (great service from carlton audio visual) but the new unit I have now is exhibiting the same problems fresh out of the box. Pretty inconvenient, nothing I couldn't live with, but it pretty much eliminates it as something I can put in my pockets. Is the loose USB data port common or did I just get a bad batch?

Although I never lost connection, all usb cables I tried 'stick out' from Mojo.
Chord states they use standard usb size and I believe them, so it must be all the usb cables that have too long connectors.

I can imagine, this could cause problems in portable use.
I use Mojo however as desktop DAC, so movemnet is not an issue for me.

Also, even though the cables stick out, no matter how hard I move them while plugged in, I never loose connection.

First I would try different cables in your case.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #15,655 of 42,765
Oh boy. I don't really want to answer this..... I'd hate to be dragged in to a debate.... Well, for the team... I find the AK240 preferable to for my tastes. There, I said it. It's not because it cost more, I really don't care about that. The AK100 mk2 sounded slightly more flat while having slightly more brightness. I prefer the AK240 because of the slightly more depth and (to me) more natural sound. Again, it isn't night and day but it is noticeable (to me). Enough that it took approximately 0.0024 seconds for me to hear it. Listening with the ETHER C (1.1) plugged in to the Mojo.

I would prefer if I heard no difference because the AK100 mk2 stacks better and has a much better battery life, but there, I said it. Now I can imagine all the doubters saying the difference isn't there, as I did earlier, but it is, with the exact same optical interconnect and same tracks. Once again I'm eating my own words. Mmmmm, words.

For what it's worth I don't really hear any difference at all from the X5, X5ii, or my MacbookPro running Audirvana+ to the Mojo. Just the using the AK units as a source do I really notice the difference between the two, which has me stumped as to why. I still have to do a more recent comparison to the FiiO DAPs and figure out which AK unit stands out more between all the sources.

Whilst an optical cable will eliminate any external RF interference, if noise is introduced within the DAP prior to the conversion to optical it will be transmitted. Maybe the noise is introduced in the conversion process. Perhaps the older AK models are not as clean as they could have been...

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #15,656 of 42,765

I dont even know how to convert the original files from a cd to FLAC, im sure I'll work it out lol. I will use my phone like before but this time I will have quality IEM's and higher quality files.

The new dragonfly red interests me also. So many people talking about how they can hear this difference etc, it must be audible. Maybe im just deaf, more likely scenario lol

You can use EAC (exact audio copy) to rip CDs to FLAC or .mp3 and also dBPoweramp. I use both but prefer dBPoweramp cause it is easier to use and faster

Related post about ExactAudioCopy

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #15,657 of 42,765
Okay, I lurk no longer. Just pulled the trigger on a Mojo. I listened to it at SoCal meet and thought it sounded great, but didn't think myself in need of an upgrade from my current Algorhythm Solo (original version with Wolfson). Pulled the trigger for these reasons:
- Comments in this thread! After reading impressions here, I believe liking it at the meet could translate into loving it after more listening. Meet conditions are tough, and I find brain burn in a real phenomenon for me.
- I like that the design allows use as a variable output DAC. I can output 1V, 2V, 3V into an amp. For instance, I recently acquired a Bakoon HPA-5210mk3 with an attenuator volume control, and sometimes the jump between 2 volume notches is too much. That's with my current 2V fixed output DAC. But now I can set Mojo to 1V output for this amp (or whatever turns out to be best) for more usable range. Also would seem to me to allow higher volume knob cranking on most amps, getting them to their "sweet spot", or at least away from the lower volume levels where mismatched left/right channel can happen. I think a huge feature is the Mojo DAC output can be adjusted (in a clean way) to suit any amp. From my reading, seems it should be no less clean at any output setting than fixed DAC outputs are at their fixed setting. I'll see how this actually plays out once I get it.
- Ability to start playing with hi-rez music. Not expecting too much improvement from hi-rez formats per se, but I want to be able to play the best pressings of whatever albums I love, which are sometimes on SACD, etc.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #15,658 of 42,765
  - Ability to start playing with hi-rez music. Not expecting too much improvement from hi-rez formats per se, but I want to be able to play the best pressings of whatever albums I love, which are sometimes on SACD, etc.

Actually, it is the way that Rob's DACs handle plain-old vanilla Redbook recordings that most surprised me - they sound foot-tappingly good in a way that had me scratching my head! LOL

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #15,659 of 42,765

I had that with the original provided short USB cable. I have since bought a few cables of differing lengths for different uses and no longer have that issue. I tend to use right angled connectors going into the Mojo. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #15,660 of 42,765
Can someone please shed some light on Mojo's tonality compared to the Fiio X3ii, X7 and Onkyo DP-X1?
Also if there are any 64Audio U10/A10 users here, how the IEM pairs with the Mojo?

Background:
I am trying to figure out a good source for the 64Audio A10 I just ordered. Based on my research, the common opinion is, Mojo has a neutral sound with a smooth analogous touch. Turns out 64Audio A12/U12 users find the pairing with Mojo not the best as A12/U12 is already a warm, thick and smooth IEM. I have demoed both U10 and U12. The U10/A10 is not far off from the U12's sound. It is a touch more balanced with less bass and notes that are less thick.

I find my X3ii to be neutral leaning towards warmth. Although X3ii is a great little player, it seems the A10 IEM could benefit from a better source (by better, I mean a more capable device). I prefer something a bit more neutral than the X3ii. So I am trying to decide between the Mojo, X7 and DP-X1. 

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back