Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 20, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #13,831 of 42,765
I think in Foobar you have to download a plug-in to get WASAPI. Probably the same with ASIO.

Media Go is a mystery because it offers ASIO, then greys it out. Silly question but are you actually saying you got WASAPI going with Media Go. I never saw the option, but your post looks like you are saying you have WASAPI in Media Go.

I have WASAPI working in Foobar and just regular output in Media Go. I'll have a play with Foorbar plugins, for some reason I assumed it did ASIO out of the box. Thanks!

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #13,833 of 42,765
Sure it is already answered but I don't find the right page on this thread.
Which are the cheaper alternatives to lavricables to connect iPod (lighting) to Mojo? $100 is too much
Thanks

$30. This and the Lavricables solution are pretty much all there is.

http://penonaudio.com/L19-Lightning-to-Micro-USB

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #13,834 of 42,765
OK, I picked one these up yesterday as I was simply curious, and I now know I've reached endgame as far as headphone dacs and amps are concerned, but not for the reasons you might think.

I compared the Mojo against a Fiio E17 and a Steinberg UR22 audio interface using AKG Q702 headphones as they are the most difficult to drive in my collection. (I may repeat the experiment with the DT880 pro and the DT1770 Pro when I have more time)

And the results were that the UR22 (a $130 prosumer audio interface) demonstrated better control and tonality across the board with whatever I threw at it. Detailing was about the same, maybe the Mojo had the edge, but nothing that really stood out. Comparing the Mojo with the E17 I found that while the Mojo had better treble detail there really wasn't much in it otherwise.

Ok - so I'm deaf I hear you cry. Well that might be partly true as I'm pushing slowly towards 50 and suffer from mild intermittent tinnutis, but I'll also add that perhaps I don't look for the same things in music as some of you guys, and this has set me thinking about what I actually do look for in music that's different from an audiophiles perspective.

I've come to the conclusion I look for an overall balanced tonality that gives me the music. I don't look for minute details or accuracy of positioning as these things in truth don't really matter to me. As far as soundstage is concerned I simply don't hear that through headphones at all, not even with binaural recordings - in fact they just sound like a phasey screwed up mess to my ears.

One thing I've found that might help you understand my position is that I've had the pleasure of listening to some really high end headphones and the truth is is that the higher up I go the less I actually enjoy listening to them. i've often played off the HD800 against the DT880 and the truth is that I'd take the DT880 over the HD800 any day. Sure the HD800 is clear and precise, but the DT880 has more meat and sounds more natural and enjoyable to my ears, whereas the HD800 sounds, well, artificial. - Basically I prefer the tonality of the DT880.

I'm not dissing the Mojo in anyway or form - it turns on, connects to my Mac straight away and delivers a good clear signal to my HPs - it does what is says on the box. The fact that I'm not hearing any night and day difference is probably down to how I approach listening to music - I simply don't listen for the things that make the night and day difference to other people.

What might surprise you is that I'm not disappointed at all. It's confirmed to me what I've long suspected in that I just don't hear in an "audiophile" way. As for being 600 bucks lighter, well I'm taking the attitude that it's a cheap price to pay to know that I'm at endgame (It could have cost a hell of lot more), at least as far as DACs and Amps are concerned.

As for the Mojo, well I'll hang on to it as I need something that will connect to my iToys when I need to use demanding HPs, and it seems to be a perfectly competent DAC plus Amp.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #13,835 of 42,765
With the claim of being an end game DAC, "25 grand in actual tests", beating those 'cost 4 times as much' and other similar and consistent claims from users:  

Has anyone heard a better sounding DAC than Mojo?

edited -----I am thinking high end Dacs that few have a chance to listen to.   

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #13,836 of 42,765
With the claim of being an end game DAC, "25 grand in actual tests", beating those 'cost 4 times as much' and other similar and consistent claims from users:  

I think that is very subjective. I have but will not state it hear as it would start a war. I think the Mojo is an awesome device though.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #13,837 of 42,765
I have WASAPI working in Foobar and just regular output in Media Go. I'll have a play with Foorbar plugins, for some reason I assumed it did ASIO out of the box. Thanks!

Update: From reading the Media Go help it looks like it only supports *Sony* ASIO devices. Crappy, but as least I know it's noting to do with the Mojo drivers. 

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #13,838 of 42,765
Mojo and the Science of Listening/Hearing

As I've become addicted to Mojo, I find that with the passing hours I 'hear' more and can discern Mojo/lossless from smaller MP3 now, regularly.  I considered what the CEO's interview showed:

With Mojo, there is far more 'data' being delivered to the ear, and Mojo is not 'burning in', but it is the brain learning to interpret the new data, which is why people regularly say Mojo has improved after a month or so. 

This is my fascination.  

For 'non gifted' ears, I think that there is, as the CEO said, a learning that takes place and that the months of trying other DACs helped my brain 'recognize' enough data that when I first heard the Mojo, I knew it was different.  

Next, the older we get, the more loss on the upper register we experience.  (I wonder if age has something to do with 'bass head').  

Might the increased signal data of Mojo (500 times more than other DACs?) have an impact, of sorts, against the tide of age?

Experienced audiophiles over 50:  did you find that you 'learned' to recognize, over time, more sound quality, learning what to listen for?  (exclude professional music engineers, as they are most often reported to have gifted hearing, and/ or drive that leads to learning).

I'm interested in what the over 50 listeners think of their experiences using Mojo versus other DACs, and if they are actualizing an 'increase' of sorts (even if they call it 'burning in', etc.) and over all thoughts on the acute increase of musical data being received through Mojo.

any links of studies with the above is appreciated. My learning continues!

Thank you!  

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #13,839 of 42,765

I think that is very subjective. I have but will not state it hear as it would start a war. I think the Mojo is an awesome device though.

I recognize the subjectivity, but without wishes of heated debates; just opinions of experience, particularly in some of the real high end Dacs that few people might experience.      Thanks.  

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #13,840 of 42,765
And the results were that the UR22 (a $130 prosumer audio interface) demonstrated better control and tonality across the board with whatever I threw at it. Detailing was about the same, maybe the Mojo had the edge, but nothing that really stood out. Comparing the Mojo with the E17 I found that while the Mojo had better treble detail there really wasn't much in it otherwise.

Ok - so I'm deaf I hear you cry. Well that might be partly true as I'm pushing slowly towards 50 and suffer from mild intermittent tinnutis, but I'll also add that perhaps I don't look for the same things in music as some of you guys, and this has set me thinking about what I actually do look for in music that's different from an audiophiles perspective.

The first time I plugged in my K702 into the Mojo. I thought, ah, nothing special, no better then my usual setup - no WOW!
In my main speaker system and with other headphones it makes quite a difference, but AKG are notoriously difficult.

I do not have UR22, but ODAC to Lake People amp, makes K702 sound great. It went like this for weeks. I didn't even care trying it again.
....but the Mojo is not that simple.
Yesterday was listening to some really good jazz recording through my K702, it sounded so good, I just had to try the Mojo with it. I stood up, disconnect the Mojo from my speaker system, plug in the K702 in, and BOOM! couldn't believe it! What was sounding quite good already, starts sounding great, to the point I have no idea how can it sound better. It is not even 100% on audio level, it is somewhat deeper, when you listening to music not just with your ears, but with you whole being. 
Something Rob called 'our lizard brain' - it needs adjustment to the Mojo. Also, it needs a well recorded music.
A lot of people will attest that the best things in their lives, weren't simple WOW from the start, but accumulated over the years experiences, that's how I perceive a lot of good music. It requires time to appreciate it and the Mojo helps me in this pursuit.
Some people, especially around this forum are chasing WOW, and it usually manifests in their jump to more and more expensive equipment which is not always leads to the best results. Look at the sale forums, they are full of really expensive headphones and dacs.
The Mojo on the other hand is not the most expensive, and is not always a WOW factor. It is really beyond it. That is, of course, IMHO.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #13,841 of 42,765
dergabe certainly is gaining notoriety since heliuscc is posting in almost all of the topics that dergabe frequents recently.

Anyway, back to what Peter Hyatt mentioned about listening/hearing science and I totally agree. It's similar to the visual test that presents only the first and last letter of any word correctly whilst the whole word is a jumbled mess and yet our brain can perceive the words almost 100% correctly as we read a whole paragraph that's written as such.

Unless you're coming from a really cheap or poor DAC/Amp combo, the Mojo definitely wouldn't WOW you at first but it's the subtle presentation in the detail extraction and layering that gives the music a whole new sense of purpose. You feel that you're re-living your youth again (if you're an adult) and discovering all your favourite bands and artists once again.
I'm not sure about whether others feel this way but when you hear a certain familiar song only to realize that you've not heard it really fleshed out, the tingly feeling you get when you go "huh. was this always there in the background? Did the instruments sound this distinct? This backing track seems more pronounced" and the list goes on.

It is also this strength that I find will play towards others feelings who feel that the Mojo isn't anything special because time is of the essence here. Auditioning the Mojo in a limited time frame in an environment that may or may not be conducive to musical enjoyment may warrant different results. I know it has for me. When i first auditioned the Mojo, I only felt it marginally better than my RWAK100S with the 8471 Wolfson chip. I bought it anyway partially motivated by the hype train at the point in time (when it first launched in my country). But as time passed, the Mojo brought me much joy through the music. There have been times when my Mojo has run out of juice and I swapped back to my old setup to continue my session and something just felt off. The music didn't seem as alive to me when listening via the Mojo.

There's just magic at work and I just have to thank John and especially Rob for allowing us to enjoy your hardwork at such an accessible price point.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #13,842 of 42,765
OK, I picked one these up yesterday as I was simply curious, and I now know I've reached endgame as far as headphone dacs and amps are concerned, but not for the reasons you might think.

I compared the Mojo against a Fiio E17 and a Steinberg UR22 audio interface using AKG Q702 headphones as they are the most difficult to drive in my collection. (I may repeat the experiment with the DT880 pro and the DT1770 Pro when I have more time)

I've come to the conclusion I look for an overall balanced tonality that gives me the music. I don't look for minute details or accuracy of positioning as these things in truth don't really matter to me. As far as soundstage is concerned I simply don't hear that through headphones at all, not even with binaural recordings - in fact they just sound like a phasey screwed up mess to my ears.

One thing I've found that might help you understand my position is that I've had the pleasure of listening to some really high end headphones and the truth is is that the higher up I go the less I actually enjoy listening to them. i've often played off the HD800 against the DT880 and the truth is that I'd take the DT880 over the HD800 any day. Sure the HD800 is clear and precise, but the DT880 has more meat and sounds more natural and enjoyable to my ears, whereas the HD800 sounds, well, artificial. - Basically I prefer the tonality of the DT880.

I'm not dissing the Mojo in anyway or form - it turns on, connects to my Mac straight away and delivers a good clear signal to my HPs - it does what is says on the box. The fact that I'm not hearing any night and day difference is probably down to how I approach listening to music - I simply don't listen for the things that make the night and day difference to other people.

What might surprise you is that I'm not disappointed at all. It's confirmed to me what I've long suspected in that I just don't hear in an "audiophile" way. As for being 600 bucks lighter, well I'm taking the attitude that it's a cheap price to pay to know that I'm at endgame (It could have cost a hell of lot more), at least as far as DACs and Amps are concerned.

As for the Mojo, well I'll hang on to it as I need something that will connect to my iToys when I need to use demanding HPs, and it seems to be a perfectly competent DAC plus Amp.

The first time I plugged in my K702 into the Mojo. I thought, ah, nothing special, no better then my usual setup - no WOW!
In my main speaker system and with other headphones it makes quite a difference, but AKG are notoriously difficult.

I do not have UR22, but ODAC to Lake People amp, makes K702 sound great. It went like this for weeks. I didn't even care trying it again.
....but the Mojo is not that simple.
Yesterday was listening to some really good jazz recording through my K702, it sounded so good, I just etched to try the Mojo with it. I stood up, disconnect the Mojo from my speaker system, plug in the K702 in, and BOOM! couldn't believe it! What was sounding quite good already, starts sounding great, to the point I have no idea how can it sound better. It is not even 100% on audio level, it is somewhat deeper, when you listening to music not just with you ears, but with you whole being. 
Something Rob called 'our lizard brain' - it needs adjustment to the Mojo. Also, it needs a well recorded music.
A lot of people will attest that the best things in their lives, weren't simple WOW from the start, but accumulated over the years experiences, that's how I perceive a lot of good music. It requires time to appreciate it and the Mojo helps me in this pursuit.
Some people, especially around this forum are chasing WOW, and it usually manifests in their jump to more and more expensive equipment which is not always leads to the best results. Look at the sale forums, they are full of really expensive headphones and dacs.
The Mojo on the other hand is not the most expensive, and is not always a WOW factor. It is really beyond it. That is, of course, IMHO.

Agreed. Slaphead, I think there is some kind of burn-in process going on. Rob Watts and Chord talk about brain burn-in. Some of us find burn in with electronics. Haha, don't ask.

Anyway your impressions of the Mojo seem identical to how I first found it. I should maybe do a review and post this. My Meridian Explorer seemed to holding up against the Mojo, bar detail level. (I think that's the case when you come from a DAC that you are happy with.) However over the first week it started changing. The tone smoothed. Over the next three weeks my impressions changed again and I was slowly becoming addicted.

I have been using mine now for about ten weeks, and probably just about every day. I think I would be distraught if I was to be without it. Although I can and still do sometimes listen with my Explorer (long story), and I still like that too.

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #13,843 of 42,765
I have my Hidizs AP100 connected to my Mojo, coax-out to coax-in, with the cable that came with the Hidizs. When I'm listening to music and moving round the place, if I open the fridge door I lose sound for a second. Does anyone else experience this and is it due to a lack of shielding in the cable?

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #13,844 of 42,765
Anyone rocking the mojo with se846? Endgame portable rig for my rock and hip/hop playlists. Can pickup the se846 tomorrow instore if they will blow me away compared to my current set up of v moda crossfade wireless, sabre android dac into cayin c5

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #13,845 of 42,765
Anyone rocking the mojo with se846? Endgame portable rig for my rock and hip/hop playlists. Can pickup the se846 tomorrow instore if they will blow me away compared to my current set up of v moda crossfade wireless, sabre android dac into cayin c5

Se846 with mojo is nice, I guess it depends on thr sound you like, can't go wrong with the Mojo, you can go wrong with se846

Users who are viewing this thread

Back