Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 17, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #13,576 of 42,765
I'm outputting to the Mojo direct from Tidal at the moment on a stock S6 Edge. It may be that UAPP is conflicting with Android, as it takes control of the USB output.

Try uninstalling UAPP temporarily, as well as any other apps you might have that output via USB. I do have Sound About installed which gives you control over USB output, Ill try uninstalling that to see if it's that which is making the difference.

I'm looking for an easy way to avoid the conflict at the moment, as simply closing UAPP doesn't seem to return the USB port to the phone (and hence Tidal) for me.

nice 1 , will have a play!

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #13,577 of 42,765

1 Mojo 3.5mm headphone output to 2 RCAs

This may also be relevant for people whose active speakers have XLR inputs, only:

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-is-super-amazingly-awesome/4650#post_12067131

One thing to add to this. I used to use on of these, (but longer).

The sound was OK with my Q Acoustics BT3, frm the Mojo. However when I bought a quality recommended cable, the QED Reference Audio J2P, the sound was much improved. Many issues were dealt with. My BT3 are now very acceptable desktop speakers, (with foam under the speakers to stop booming). Plus I bought Chord Clearway to connect the active speaker to the passive speaker.

Oh, sure, of course.

I only posted that pic for illustrative purposes, to clarify what I was saying
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #13,578 of 42,765
  It's strange: when I listen Noble K10 with P90SD, the sound is warm, smooth but with Mojo it is harsh and dry. When I listen my R70X with P90SD I get the same sound like my K10 but with Mojo the sound is neutral, balance. Could you please help me to explain what's happen? Is Mojo better with headphone than IEM ?

Can I ask, have you only just started using the Mojo? I ask because this was the impression I got of my Mojo when it was new from the box. It was only the extra detail over my previous DAC that kept me going back to the Mojo to try. Fairly soon though I noticed the Mojo sound seemed to soften, after previously sounding dry. The detail didn't stand out sounding harsh as much any more. This was after about fourty-eight hours play. After a week's play, the Mojo appeared to have smoothed more. The smoothness seemed to come from the detail and clarity. 

Edit: On reflection I did wonder if my experience was tainted with me coming from a slightly thicker souding DAC.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #13,579 of 42,765
nice 1 , will have a play!

Right, I've found a workaround. It's all about which app has control of the USB port.

When you first install UAPP (or if you can reset the app preferences somehow), you'll get a pop up window asking if you want to allow it to use the USB device by default. Make sure you leave the default box unticked, and click 'cancel', otherwise UAPP will always be in control of the USB port as soon as you plug the Mojo in, preventing anything else using it. Clicking 'Cancel' will leave the USB device under the phone's control, and allow you to output through USB via Tidal.

When you want to use UAPP, open the app and it'll prompt you again. Again, never tick the default box, but click 'OK' to give UAPP control.

When you want to use Tidal (or any other Android controlled app) again, closing UAPP isnt enough - it retains control even once closed. UNPLUG the USB cable, and plug it back in again. As long as you didn't tick the default box above, it'll prompt you again whether you want to use UAPP. This time click 'Cancel' and it will return control to the phone.

It's simpler than my lengthy explanation makes it sound!

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #13,580 of 42,765
So it was time to remove some temporary Velcro I used to secure my Phone to the Mojo, this has been in place for about 10 weeks.

Velcro removed, some glue residue remains.

After a quick clean with isopropyl alcohol, all residue is removed, there is a very faint outline mark, but if anybody is worried about using Velcro due to damaging the finish my experience would imply its OK.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #13,581 of 42,765
Right, I've found a workaround. It's all about which app has control of the USB port.

When you first install UAPP (or if you can reset the app preferences somehow), you'll get a pop up window asking if you want to allow it to use the USB device by default. Make sure you leave the default box unticked, and click 'cancel', otherwise UAPP will always be in control of the USB port as soon as you plug the Mojo in, preventing anything else using it. Clicking 'Cancel' will leave the USB device under the phone's control, and allow you to output through USB via Tidal.

When you want to use UAPP, open the app and it'll prompt you again. Again, never tick the default box, but click 'OK' to give UAPP control.

When you want to use Tidal (or any other Android controlled app) again, closing UAPP isnt enough - it retains control even once closed. UNPLUG the USB cable, and plug it back in again. As long as you didn't tick the default box above, it'll prompt you again whether you want to use UAPP. This time click 'Cancel' and it will return control to the phone.

It's simpler than my lengthy explanation makes it sound!

thanks. Yeah I had noticed that. I can do what you suggest with my IFI Nano, but not with Mojo. It's pretty weird, I plug Mojo into phone and get the connected light coming on on the mojo, but the sound comes out of the phone speaker.

Its all such a fudge, Im sure if i turn it off and turn it on , then wait precisely 24.23 seconds after activating a "special app", uninstalling it, turning on the spot with my eyes shut, reinstalling said app, then quickly pressing the home and volume up button before the screen goes off, it'll possibly work, some of the time :)

Having a fresh fiddle with it made me remember why I gave up with phone as transport idea months ago. I have a wholly suitable working solution with the  Fiio-as-transport.

Wonder what something like the X7 would be like ...? Ie android based with Tidal streaming as standard and digital out with no messing.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #13,582 of 42,765

The Mojo was built to a cost and to do this minimal accessories were included. To have included all the cables you require would have meant them not meeting that target.

PS you weren't serious about this were you?
1. USB Micro - USB Micro
2. USB Micro - USB Mini
3. USB Micro - USB Type A
3. USB Micro - USB Type B
4. USB Micro - USB Type C
5. USB Micro - USB 3.0 (ie Samsung Galaxy Note 3)
4. USB Micro - Apple CCK

Were you really expecting all these to have been included?
basshead.gif

No idea why you quoted me there as I didn't mention anything about the mojo including cables
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #13,583 of 42,765
Do you experience any different in sound quality between the note 5 and dx80 as a source for the mojo? Thought id ask, my understanding is that the sound should be the same across the board as the mojo is gadget processing the files and sound. The connected source purely just sends the mojo a file that says play me... ive been reading about people who are contemplating big money daps to use with the mojo and I'm here scratching my head lol

Yes there is difference, thr note 5 and v10 prove to be better than other androids I've tried and apple devices, same file source

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #13,584 of 42,765
Yes there is difference, thr note 5 and v10 prove to be better than other androids I've tried and apple devices, same file source

To you ears, of course. Please make sure you don't say this as a statement of fact as you seem to be the only person on this thread that is hearing a difference between transports.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #13,585 of 42,765
Received my Mojo today, everything's great.

I had read some previous posts about iBasso DX50 or DX90 creating popping noises via coax (between tracks or something?). Using a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm silver plated interconnect for the connection I can confirm no such issues for me personally.

No popping, no crackling, its smooth sailing.

Enjoy your Mojo! Say, is that a standard stereo interconnect, or a 3.5mm SPDIF interconnect? Thanks

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #13,586 of 42,765

Can I ask, have you only just started using the Mojo? I ask because this was the impression I got of my Mojo when it was new from the box. It was only the extra detail over my previous DAC that kept me going back to the Mojo to try it. Fairly soon though I noticed the Mojo sound seemed to soften, after previously sounding dry. The detail didn't stand out sounding harsh as much any more. This was after about fourty-eight hours play. After a weeks play, the Mojo appeared to have smoothed more. The smoothness seemed to come from the detail and clarity. 

To make clear, I don't say Mojo is failure or not good. I just think K10C is not compatible with Mojo (you can try to listen the instrument at the end of Hotel California), I and 2 friends tested and we have the same result. K10C is also not compatible with Norne Therium cable too. My opinion: Don't try to ft K10C with anything you hope to make sound better.
For another test, I listen Savant with Mojo and Mojo push Savant to the next level, it's amazing sound I've never found on Savant in the past.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #13,587 of 42,765
To make clear, I don't say Mojo is failure or not good. I just think K10C is notcompatible with Mojo (you can try to listen the instrument at the end of Hotel California), I and 2 friends tested and we have the same result. K10C is also not compatible with Norne Therium cable too. My opinion: Don't try to ft K10C with anything you hope to make sound better.
For another test, I listen Savant with Mojo and Mojo push Savant to the next level, it's amazing sound I've never found on Savant in the past.

Gonna strongly disagree with you there. I think the Mojo and k10ua is an excellent pairing.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #13,588 of 42,765
Gonna strongly disagree with you there. I think the Mojo and k10ua is an excellent pairing.

I believe you but I said about K10 custom. I listened K10 demo, K10u, K10c, I think K10c has something different because Therium cable make K10 demo, K10u sound better at least 20% but it cannot do that with K10c. Now I have R70X ft Mojo and I am finding 1 more headphone of Beyerdynamic, I've never used IEM anymore.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #13,589 of 42,765
Enjoy your Mojo! Say, is that a standard stereo interconnect, or a 3.5mm SPDIF interconnect? Thanks

Yes, just a standard stereo interconnect works absolutely fine, using it all day. I can even link you to the exact cable If you PM me. :)

Btw: I listen in the dark a lot late at night in bed. These Mojo lights are impressive! :wink:

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #13,590 of 42,765
My Chord Mojo looses connection all the time. I think I found out what the problem is.

The USB cable is not secure in the Chord Mojo. So when I move the Mojo, I loose connection.

Should I send back the Mojo for a new one that hopefully has a more secure fit with USB cables?

Check this second post on this short thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/788913/chord-mojo-issue-solutions-thread Might be what you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back