Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 17, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #13,546 of 42,765
Well, as per my above post I've run into an issue regarding bit rate of the android output. Would an AK240 put out a bit perfect signal, as opposed to a processed android signal?

Yes. Anywhere from 16/44.1 to 24/192 for PCM. DSD is converted to 24/176 by the AK240.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #13,547 of 42,765
  Anyone. I am still looking for an answer please.

Hi Shetzu,

Sorry that you haven't arrived at the answer that you're seeking but this is my opinion on the matter.
The Mojo's output is sufficient to drive the HD800 to deafening levels BUT will it output the sound signature that you're after, that's only something you can decide. What we head-fier's can do to help answer is that if you could describe your preference and sound signature, those who own the HD800 and Mojo may be able to chime in.
With regards to whether the Mojo alone is better than the Burson Soloist, it also depends on the coloration the amp does to the sound signature after the Mojo chain. Some SS and Tube amps add a certain 'flavour' and it's this flavour that has some users adding to the chain. It's kinda like adding chili sauce to your wagyu steak, some people like it that way. Are they wrong? No? It's all down to preference.

So after reading through that heavy text, maybe you can just let the other's know what you like to hear (bright, warm, sparkly, extended....etc) and see if anyone can help answer if the Mojo driving the HD800 direct is your cup of tea.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #13,548 of 42,765

Hi Shetzu,

Sorry that you haven't arrived at the answer that you're seeking but this is my opinion on the matter.
The Mojo's output is sufficient to drive the HD800 to deafening levels BUT will it output the sound signature that you're after, that's only something you can decide. What we head-fier's can do to help answer is that if you could describe your preference and sound signature, those who own the HD800 and Mojo may be able to chime in.
With regards to whether the Mojo alone is better than the Burson Soloist, it also depends on the coloration the amp does to the sound signature after the Mojo chain. Some SS and Tube amps add a certain 'flavour' and it's this flavour that has some users adding to the chain. It's kinda like adding chili sauce to your wagyu steak, some people like it that way. Are they wrong? No? It's all down to preference.

So after reading through that heavy text, maybe you can just let the other's know what you like to hear (bright, warm, sparkly, extended....etc) and see if anyone can help answer if the Mojo driving the HD800 direct is your cup of tea.

Thank You Xtr4. I am more a neutral sound guy. I would prefer something crispy since I am not a bass head. I have noted your inputs and will mention my requirement of sound signature to get more prompt help. Thanks
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #13,549 of 42,765
Can anyone who is using the Mojo from an android phone, or more specifically an S6, check the power light for me? Mine seems to be constantly outputting 192khz regardless of source. Does that mean android is upsampling? And does it mean if I use 192 source it will play without being downsampled?

I use with Android, Android OS always upsample the USB audio to 192 Khz irrespective of the input.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #13,550 of 42,765
I use with Android, Android OS always upsample the USB audio to 192 Khz irrespective of the input.

I've just downloaded USB Audio Player Pro and tried a few different files. Looks like it bypasses Android, as the Mojo now displays the correct bit rate for the type of file. I believe it can output DSD too.

Which mean we're back to the question, what's the benefit of an expensive DAP with the Mojo?

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #13,551 of 42,765

I've just downloaded USB Audio Player Pro and tried a few different files. Looks like it bypasses Android, as the Mojo now displays the correct bit rate for the type of file. I believe it can output DSD too.

Which mean we're back to the question, what's the benefit of an expensive DAP with the Mojo?

If you have your own files, then use Onkyo player/ Hiby, which are free in playstore.

But i use Spotify, so i have use Android native USB audio out, so i can't bypass the upsampling.

Personally i don't find much difference.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #13,552 of 42,765
If you have your own files, then use Onkyo player/ Hiby, which are free in playstore.

But i use Spotify, so i have use Android native USB audio out, so i can't bypass the upsampling.

Personally i don't find much difference.

I use Tidal, but cant honestly tell the difference between Kernel Streamed FLAC via PC and the same file upsampled through Android. The placebo effect is a real thing though :wink:

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #13,557 of 42,765

Hi Shetzu,

I've been using the Mojo with the HD800 for about a month so far, and I can say that it's a great pairing that has allowed me to engage with my music tremendously. I came from an Arcam irDac + Violectric v200 setup before this - and that was no slouch - but it cannot compare to the level of engagement that the Mojo has brought with it. 

Some characteristics of the sound (mostly in comparison to my previous setup) - 

The soundstage decreased in width, but the more intimate presentation has more depth to it. Instruments and vocals have more precise placement and separation, and depth is more easily perceived. These characteristics come together to form music that is somewhat holographic and almost palpable. This visceral sense of the music is, to me, what defines immersion and engagement with music. 

In terms of tonality, the mid-upper bass seems more prominent than sub bass. This is especially prominent given my previous setup. However, in terms of bass quantity, it is only slightly less than my previous setup which is likely to be more bassy than what people are used to from the HD800 anyway. This somewhat lends itself to the midrange, which is more thick and lush, which to my tastes complements the HD800 superbly. In fact, if one is used to a leaner sound, it may take some adjustment to appreciate this lushness. Or if one is strictly into a leaner sound, maybe this pairing will not be ideal. 

The highs are something I've taken a longer time to appreciate. Previously, the Arcam + V200 setup had a smooth and laid-back upper end. The highs are well extended but also more smoothed over. They are not laid-back and are in fact quite prominent in the spectrum of things. It does not get sibilant, but I found myself becoming fatigued more quickly than on the previous setup when listening at similar levels. I've become more accustomed to this, however, and I've found that listening at lower volumes has brought me more enjoyment from my music while reducing fatigue. I hope this isn't misconstrued as sibilant highs forcing one to lower the volume. I could just as well listen at my prior listening levels, but to my ears, the mojo sounds even better at lower volumes. 

Personally, I find the imaging/depth/engagement of the Mojo most appealing when used with the HD800. Coupled with it's pleasing tonality, I have had no regrets with the current setup. Not to mention that being able to enjoy this setup from any part of the house - away from my desk - is incredibly liberating.

I hope this gives you a better idea of the pairing! :) 

On a side note, I experimented by lining out the Mojo to the Valhalla 2 and felt that it made the sound less appealing. I felt that the imaging was less sharp and focused, the bass became too loose (though improved with non-stock tubes), and the depth/engagement I previously felt could not match the Mojo alone. These comments are not meant to be incendiary, and are just my perspective of how things sound. YMMV of course!

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #13,558 of 42,765
  Woot woot, gotta love China.  Picked up this TINY android phone running 4.4 (which works with USB Player Pro!) and a microSD slot.  PERFECT transport for the Mojo, oooh man!

Alas no SD card slot 
blink.gif

Quote:
Just been on av forums. They dont seem to think this chord mojo is all its made out to be?? All ive read and seen is that its world class and amazing quality etc. Ive had my finger hovering over the buy button on amazon all night then read that forum and while they say its good its as though its not what people make it out to be?? Really dont know how much better the mojo will sound now compared to my set up of s6 edge plus, hifimediy into cayin c5 with v moda crossfade wireless.....

Your own experience and ears are all you need. If you are not able to demo in-store, you could try ordering online as you will have "Distant Selling" protection and should be able to return within a set period of time. Can I ask how will you be using the Mojo? I ask because if you do intend to order online it may be wise to obtain your interconnects first.

EDITED: Apologies to @Carl6868 I misread your original comment

So here's perplexing situation. I cannot seem to find a male USB-A to micro-USB OTG cable. I need to interface the Mojo with a USB-C adapter which has a female USB-A end.

Ideally I'd get a USB-C to micro-USB OTG if one ever becomes available.

[Edit] Doing some more research I believe the USB-C adapter I've got is already OTG capable. So I should be able to plug in a regular USB to Micro cable. I'm new to USB-C and OTG stuff. Adapter is VicTsing

Connecting USB Type C can cause no end of searching and compromises.
I have found Micro USB - USB Type C connectors but none shorter than 500mm. My easiest but not most elegant solution was the included USB OTG Male to USB Type C OTG Female.
There are other solutions available but much searching required.

PS. What USB-C adapter do you have? I tried so many and none worked in OTG, they may charge your device but unless they have been improved I do not believe all of them work for OTG. YMMV

Can anyone who is using the Mojo from an android phone, or more specifically an S6, check the power light for me? Mine seems to be constantly outputting 192khz regardless of source. Does that mean android is upsampling? And does it mean if I use 192 source it will play without being downsampled?

You may need to use an app such as Onkyo HF Player or my personal favourite UAPP to get the correct sampling rates, for some reason Android tends to upsample generally with only a few exceptions out there.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #13,559 of 42,765

I've been using the Mojo with the HD800 for about a month so far, and I can say that it's a great pairing that has allowed me to engage with my music tremendously. I came from an Arcam irDac + Violectric v200 setup before this - and that was no slouch - but it cannot compare to the level of engagement that the Mojo has brought with it. 

Some characteristics of the sound (mostly in comparison to my previous setup) - 

The soundstage decreased in width, but the more intimate presentation has more depth to it. Instruments and vocals have more precise placement and separation, and depth is more easily perceived. These characteristics come together to form music that is somewhat holographic and almost palpable. This visceral sense of the music is, to me, what defines immersion and engagement with music. 

In terms of tonality, the mid-upper bass seems more prominent than sub bass. This is especially prominent given my previous setup. However, in terms of bass quantity, it is only slightly less than my previous setup which is likely to be more bassy than what people are used to from the HD800 anyway. This somewhat lends itself to the midrange, which is more thick and lush, which to my tastes complements the HD800 superbly. In fact, if one is used to a leaner sound, it may take some adjustment to appreciate this lushness. Or if one is strictly into a leaner sound, maybe this pairing will not be ideal. 

The highs are something I've taken a longer time to appreciate. Previously, the Arcam + V200 setup had a smooth and laid-back upper end. The highs are well extended but also more smoothed over. They are not laid-back and are in fact quite prominent in the spectrum of things. It does not get sibilant, but I found myself becoming fatigued more quickly than on the previous setup when listening at similar levels. I've become more accustomed to this, however, and I've found that listening at lower volumes has brought me more enjoyment from my music while reducing fatigue. I hope this isn't misconstrued as sibilant highs forcing one to lower the volume. I could just as well listen at my prior listening levels, but to my ears, the mojo sounds even better at lower volumes. 

Personally, I find the imaging/depth/engagement of the Mojo most appealing when used with the HD800. Coupled with it's pleasing tonality, I have had no regrets with the current setup. Not to mention that being able to enjoy this setup from any part of the house - away from my desk - is incredibly liberating.

I hope this gives you a better idea of the pairing! :) 

On a side note, I experimented by lining out the Mojo to the Valhalla 2 and felt that it made the sound less appealing. I felt that the imaging was less sharp and focused, the bass became too loose (though improved with non-stock tubes), and the depth/engagement I previously felt could not match the Mojo alone. These comments are not meant to be incendiary, and are just my perspective of how things sound. YMMV of course!

Thank for taking time to give me the impressions, I am indeed grateful to you. So in a way Mojo compliments the Hd800 pretty well. Did you also try out just the DAC part of the mojo with a different amp besides vahalla2. How did it sound. The reason of listening to HD from any part of the house than being restricted to the desktop is what made me think of the mojo. Thanks again.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #13,560 of 42,765
Thank for taking time to give me the impressions, I am indeed grateful to you. So in a way Mojo compliments the Hd800 pretty well. Did you also try out just the DAC part of the mojo with a different amp besides vahalla2. How did it sound. The reason of listening to HD from any part of the house than being restricted to the desktop is what made me think of the mojo. Thanks again.:D

FYI, you can't try just 'the DAC part of the Mojo'. The analogue output doesn't have any opamps like most portable setups and the Mojo output is very clean. Think of the Mojo as a full time line out from the DAC. The line level is just a shortcut to 3V output level, no hardware is bypassed.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back