Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 17, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #13,606 of 42,765
x RELIC x I was gonna say that too. I've never understood why people assume there are differences between unis and customs of the same model headphone, rather than considering key factors like insertion depth and seal. I mean, everyone agrees that different "tips" on unis can significantly affect the sound signature. Well folks, a custom is basically another type of tip. And it's gonna be different for each person, so best to avoid generalizations.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #13,607 of 42,765
.... a custom is basically another type of tip. And it's gonna be different for each person, so best to avoid generalizations.

Another variable potentially affecting one person's experience of an IEM/CIEM vs another person's experience of the same model of IEM/CIEM is that of individual ear anatomy:

www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/2700#post_12090225

not just in terms of reliability of fit, but also in terms of the actual dimensions and geometry of each person's ear canal varying the angle at which the IEM/CIEM tip 'fires' towards the eardrum, and the volume of the airspace between the IEM/CIEM tip and the eardrum being different for each person - this last aspect can have a potentially huge influence upon the sound character experienced by each listener.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #13,608 of 42,765
x RELIC x I was gonna say that too. I've never understood why people assume there are differences between unis and customs of the same model headphone, rather than considering key factors like insertion depth and seal. I mean, everyone agrees that different "tips" on unis can significantly affect the sound signature. Well folks, a custom is basically another type of tip. And it's gonna be different for each person, so best to avoid generalizations.

Would you say that custom offers the best possible sound (as meant by th designers of the ciems?) is custom sound thr sound they want us to hear?

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #13,609 of 42,765
Would you say that custom offers the best possible sound (as meant by th designers of the ciems?) is custom sound thr sound they want us to hear?

Yes, if you can't get a proper seal and insertion depth/angle from universal fit. Everyone's ears will fit universals slightly differently, but customs will always be the perfect fit for the individual. However, this is not the thread to discuss these things.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #13,610 of 42,765

Another variable potentially affecting one person's experience of an IEM/CIEM vs another person's experience of the same model of IEM/CIEM is that of individual ear anatomy:

www.head-fi.org/t/739712/1964-ears-adel-iems/2700#post_12090225

not just in terms of reliability of fit, but also in terms of the actual dimensions and geometry of each person's ear canal varying the angle at which the IEM/CIEM tip 'fires' towards the eardrum, and the volume of the airspace between the IEM/CIEM tip and the eardrum being different for each person - this last aspect can have a potentially huge influence upon the sound character experienced by each listener.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've always thought of the volume of airspace and ear canal shape as comparable to the acoustics of a listening room. Makes me wonder, why do we even bother sharing our impressions of sound  
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #13,611 of 42,765
Bringing the discussion back to Mojo, one can say, with some confidence, that anyone with IEMs or CIEMs or cans has little or nothing to lose by getting a Mojo demo, and drawing their own conclusions.

Can't really say any fairer than that, and no-one would deny the fact that no single piece of equipment will please all of the people, all of the time
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #13,614 of 42,765
Bringing the discussion back to Mojo, one can say, with some confidence, that anyone with IEMs or CIEMs or cans has little or nothing to lose by getting a Mojo demo, and drawing their own conclusions.

Can't really say any fairer than that, and no-one would deny the fact that no single piece of equipment will please all of the people, all of the time :beerchug:

Some people Just can't go Somewhere and demo

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #13,615 of 42,765
  Alright boys about to get me some MOJO but have one question.

So I plan to sell my iDSD and use the mojo for both desktop and protable.  My question is, does the mojo run off the battery when the usb power is plugged in?  I'm trying to save battery life when I'm in desktop mode

The Mojo has two separate Micro-USB inputs. One is for the USB audio feed input and the other is solely to charge the Mojo. You can download the user manual from Chord's website to get familiar with the unit.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #13,616 of 42,765

Some people Just can't go Somewhere and demo

Yes, that is true, and that's just one of the unfortunate things, in life.

For example, there are many of us (myself included) who have purchased CIEMs at twice the price of a Mojo, without having been able to demo them first.

Head-fiers in the USA and Southeast Asia often have the best access to portable audiophile equipment - you don't live in those locations, and neither do I, but many people do, and they have little or nothing to lose by getting a Mojo demo and drawing their own conclusions.

C'est la vie!
popcorn.gif

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #13,617 of 42,765
    My question is, does the mojo run off the battery when the usb power is plugged in?  I'm trying to save battery life when I'm in desktop mode

If you follow the thread title, you can find this information:

Mojo, like Hugo, has been designed so that you can have the charger plugged in constantly. So on a desktop charge and run it at the same time. Once its fully charged, the charger will just supply enough current to balance Mojo's current draw, so no net current from the battery.

Rob

Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge.

Rob 

I am also considering replacing my desktop DAC (which, by the way, cost far more than than the Mojo) with a second Mojo, so I might have something to sell too! One question that I think remains unanswered is, Is it alright to leave the Mojo on 24/7 plugged in with a 2A wall wart? Will that adversely affect the battery or anything else in the Mojo? Would keeping the Mojo on all the time avoid the issues with the battery charging circuitry?

It was designed to run this way. If you want to maximize battery life, then turn Mojo off when not using it, with the charger connected permanently and it will be fine as the charger will disconnect automatically, and re-charge automatically when the battery voltage drops.

Rob

The minimum current-delivery charger spec for Mojo is 1 amp, but, for desktop usage, it would be sensible to get something with a bit more grunt, as chargers are so cheap these days, and it might help Mojo not to draw upon its battery, if you are using it in desktop configuration, all day long, driving cans at high SPLs. Please note that this isn't absolute 'gospel' - I'm merely saying it would be a reasonable and sensible approach. Anker do quite decent USB chargers, and there are plenty of Mojo owners who do very well with the standard vanilla Apple USB charger.

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #13,618 of 42,765
  Alright boys about to get me some MOJO but have one question.

So I plan to sell my iDSD and use the mojo for both desktop and protable.  My question is, does the mojo run off the battery when the usb power is plugged in?  I'm trying to save battery life when I'm in desktop mode

nope - the only problem i have found when using it desktop is make sure you have a decent quality usb cable going to the power port, cause if it comes loose you're not gonna know unless you can see the charge LED.

actually about that - i leave my mojo sitting on top of an anodized black RCA selector with the charge light facing me. it works well because the charge light also shines down on the rca selector so i can just glance over at my stereo and see that the mojo tells me it's taking charge from the USB port, and the reflection made the tiny LED a lot easier to see too.

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #13,620 of 42,765
  Interesting discussion about Mojo, here:

https://www.metal-fi.com/chord-electronics-mojo/

A pretty good short review in my opinion. My opinions are basically in line with his. You really can tell the difference going back and forth between normal DACs and the Mojo, everything else sounds so much slower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back