Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 11, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #13,036 of 42,765
I think most likely I will just go with the phone+mojo route as I anyway carry two phones (personal and business) almost all the time.

That's what I was thinking would be the solution for me, but how does one carry "the brick" around? I hate bricks lol. I like having my phone in a belt holster, but that would be out of the question with the mojo. For now I've ended up getting a Zuperdac (similar to dragonfly) and am kind of hoping that I can just have it hanging unobtrusively off of my phone while the phone's still in the holster. Prolly won't work though. And it'll probably drain my phone battery too quick. Hmm. Anyway, I digress!

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #13,039 of 42,765
Both of you enjoy! got company over and got the mojo direct into my Hafler DH-500, everyone wants to touch the glowy orbs
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #13,040 of 42,765
I demo'ed the X7 and DP-X1 and quite like them as DAPs but may find them too big/thick as transport for mojo (aiming for pocket use).

Stand alone both are excellent DAP and much much better value than AKs. However I still find mojo SQ materially better. My subjective SQ ranking view is:

Dp-X1(SE)<< Dp-X1(balanced ACG)< X7< AK240 (SE)< AK240 (balanced) <<<<<< Mojo<<< Hugo

The comparison is done with my K10 custom.

My quick impression posted in the Onkyo thread:
I think most likely I will just go with the phone+mojo route as I anyway carry two phones (personal and business) almost all the time.

My weapon of choice would always be the Mojo

But if travelling light my DP-X1 does a good enough job as a stand in.
If I have a rucksack or jacket I choose my Mojo with current transport AK100 but always pack my ultra short OTG cable so if the AK100 flakes out, I can link to my phone instead.
For travelling, if using my Mojo, I prefer, especially with the form factor in mind, the AK100 as a stack hence why I'm following this thread as well, in the hope of a decent updated alternative to either AK or Phone when on the move.

With all that said, when at home it's usually Mojo+Phone+UAPP that keeps me a rocking.
L3000.gif

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #13,041 of 42,765
That's what I was thinking would be the solution for me, but how does one carry "the brick" around? I hate bricks lol. I like having my phone in a belt holster, but that would be out of the question with the mojo. For now I've ended up getting a Zuperdac (similar to dragonfly) and am kind of hoping that I can just have it hanging unobtrusively off of my phone while the phone's still in the holster. Prolly won't work though. And it'll probably drain my phone battery too quick. Hmm. Anyway, I digress!

Same here. Ditiched the bricks of yesteryears for the ibasso dx100 and havent stacked anyyhing until Hugo came along. I bought it more for desktop DAC use but I found myself taking it out much more often than I ever intended or imagined. The SQ justified all the hassle and rendered my ak240 as a transport a lot. I still use it when I "go light" but with more and more heavy use of streaming apps the AK is not good enough as a dac/amp - i might as well stack a Mojo with my phone. Now if only the mojo is slimmer....

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #13,042 of 42,765

Mac Mini--> MonoPrice USB cable--> Schiit Wyrd-->Astell&Kern USB cable--> Chord Mojo-->Monster InterLink MK II-->LC
   I am seriously considering the Dita Audio Van Den Hul 3.5mm to 3.5mm Interconnect. At some point I think I will be upgrading my USB cables but I am otherwise quite content for now. This is a rare state of being for me hahaha!
   I am due to take delivery of the JH Audio Angie 1st gen tomorrow and as I listen to my Grado RS1is right now; I am imagining how much more detail I will be experiencing with the Angies tomorrow.

Thanks. Ive tried at least 1/2 dozen usb cables and found they are pretty much the same as long as they get the digits cleanly to the Mojo  - happy with the SDragon, it does the job. I too like Audirvana. 

Have you tried Toslink? There I find a noticible difference in sound between them and USB, quite as the Chord folks have said. Most fun for me is Mojo to LC. I've tried a number of cables and find different sound signatures with each; not a real big deal but it keeps the system “fresh” and “new” sounding.

Haven’t heard the Grado’s in quite a while. I can imagine the sound is still very musically satisfying…For IEM’s I currently am listening with Noble Savants - working just fine with the system as well as Mojo w/o LC. Folks here say Angie’s are great with Mojo. Thanks again and Good listening!

MBP → SDragon → Mojo → AQ Sky → LC

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #13,043 of 42,765
Im trying to find a decent android cheapphone, (found some cheap go phones with 1gb ram and decent SD storage), but when used with onkyo or uaap it still doesn't sound as God as note 5 or v10... It's slightly worse than dx80 too, I just can't find a cheap android that will sound as good as note 5 / v10 so I can use solely for mojo

I've tried so many kinds
.. I mifht have to just stick with dx80, weather I like to or not

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #13,044 of 42,765
Im trying to find a decent android cheapphone, (found some cheap go phones with 1gb ram and decent SD storage), but when used with onkyo or uaap it still doesn't sound as God as note 5 or v10... It's slightly worse than dx80 too, I just can't find a cheap android that will sound as good as note 5 / v10 so I can use solely for mojo

I've tried so many kinds
.. I mifht have to just stick with dx80, weather I like to or not

The issue is the noise in these things, so although they say mojo does all the hard work and immune to the quality of the transport it's not true as electrical noise gets seems by the phone.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #13,045 of 42,765
The issue is the noise in these things, so although they say mojo does all the hard work and immune to the quality of the transport it's not true as electrical noise gets seems by the phone.

If you use otg there should be no issue... No analog is being sent that way... A cheap transport or expensive transport using otg is the same quality... Conversion is happening in mojo... Digital 1's and 0's are simply that... There is no way to agfect quality unless bits are lost.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #13,046 of 42,765
If you use otg there should be no issue... No analog is being sent that way... A cheap transport or expensive transport using otg is the same quality... Conversion is happening in mojo... Digital 1's and 0's are simply that... There is no way to agfect quality unless bits are lost.

some people strongly feel there is different sq out, and i dont understand either, just like usb cable which they say is different from each other by cable quality

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #13,047 of 42,765
some people strongly feel there is different sq out, and i dont understand either, just like usb cable which they say is different from each other by cable quality

I have felt a slight differece of. Sound from. Different devices using the same. OTG cable, the differences are loss of nuances and slight clarity loss

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #13,048 of 42,765

I do not understand digital signal well but know that it's nots 1's and 0's floating around.
It's an electrical signal and all electrical signals can be polluted with noise from the source that they are send from, that's why some very expensive dacs have arrays of noise filtering in signal path.

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #13,049 of 42,765

I do not understand digital signal well but know that it's nots 1's and 0's floating around.
It's an electrical signal and all electrical signals can be polluted with noise from the source that they are send from, that's why some very expensive dacs have arrays of noise filtering in signal path.

+1

this is another legend, just only 0s and 1s they say...

do you really think that digital bitperfect signal is so simple?

digital cables are much less prone to signal degradation, like the analog one, but there are MANY other factors involved.
like all the interferences and power supply noise and problems...and NO, batteries aren't noise immune

Quote (from http://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/computer-audio-misconceptions/) :

Don’t asynchronous USB inputs remove all jitter, resulting in bit perfect sound?

Asynchronous communication is defined as transmission of data without the use of an external clock signal. This allows data to be transmitted intermittently rather than in a steady stream. This also allows for variable bit rates and eliminates the need for the transmitter and receiver to have their clock generators synchronized.

Asynchronous digital communication is nothing new. It has been used for decades in obsolete protocols, such as RS-232C. Adopting it for USB audio inputs was one of several potential data transmission protocols and is far from what would be considered cutting edge technology.

As stated earlier, most computer communication is bidirectional and works with a system of checks and error correction. When the source sends a packet of data, the destination checks the packet and requests corrupted data packets to be resent. Since the asynchronous USB protocols used for most audio data is unidirectional, when an error occurs, no resend or error correction is possible.

The combination of asynchronous clocking and data buffering can remove jitter caused by packets of data arriving at irregular intervals, but it can’t correct corrupted data. Though asynchronous USB results in smoother and more analog-like sound, if it isn't bidirectional it has no error correction and can not assure uncorrupted bit perfect data.

Don’t batteries have the purest DC power?

There’s a common misconception that batteries have the purest DC power. Though batteries are better than the inexpensive wall wart type switching mode power supplies (SMPS) that come with many audio, video, and computer products, battery performance can’t compare to the performance of an ultralow-noise linear power supply.

Batteries use a chemical reaction to generate DC power, and each chemical reaction from each type of battery has its own audible noise signature. That’s why a specific type of battery, such as LIO4, sounds better than another type, such as SLA. In addition, the noise level of a battery changes significantly during different phases of the recharge cycle, making batteries an inconsistent-sounding power source. Of course, batteries also wear out and need replacing every year or three, which adds significantly to the cost of ownership.

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #13,050 of 42,765
 +1

this is another legend, just only 0s and 1s they say...

do you really think that digital bitperfect signal is so simple?

digital cables are much less prone to signal degradation, like the analog one, but there are MANY other factors involved.

The biggest legend is that digital connectors make a difference to the sound quality. They don't, a well made USB digital cable will sound identical to a high end one. Digital signals are capable of sending huge amounts of data reliably, and whilst there maybe some bits misplaced the devices connected sort out the issues. How else can Netflix send a pixel perfect 4K picture down UK phone lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back