Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 12, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #11,208 of 42,765
Won't change the fact that it's not really the same thing and Android works out of the box, that analogy didn't make much sense. The matter of fact here is that the Mojo has a massive flaw and problem and it's not easy to be fixed. Countless of people have complained about it and they're doing nothing to fix it, all they've done is deflect blame and claim the fault is with every player out there.

both hugo and mojo work perfectly well w linux - tested with debian , voyage linux and ubunto. I dont get what you are complaining about. btw running mpd on a headerless linux is a very nice way to use hugo or mojo. pls let me know if I can help

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #11,209 of 42,765

Happy to report back using a "slightly" more expensive Audioquest Forest 0.75m optical cable works with 192kHz very well. Zero stutter or glitches.

I much prefer this setup compared to using USB on my PC setup. While any sound improvement can be disgraded as placebo but the ability to bypass the 0.5sec mute and the buggy ASIO driver is a huge real advantage.
With optical, I no longer have to miss mail alerts or the need to trick the system by leaving a music player on pause. No sound is missed, even in music playback with ASIO. 0.5sec mute is only present when switching sample rate, unlike over USB where it mutes whenever you skip a song even with the same sample rate.

Do you mean use optical connection to PC? That cures all.

If so I am confused by the clocking. 'I think', according to Chord the Mojo does iso-asynchronous clocking on USB. I am not sure what happens accross the optical connection. I am sure I read that somehow the other Mojo digital inputs are somehow asynchronous.

Just worried because the general idea on DACs in general says use asynchronous. Generally to avoid other optical connections because they are not clocked by the DAC.

With optical, it cured the 0.5 sec mute without sampling rate changes and the crash prone ASIO drivers, yes. But 0.5sec mute on sample rate change is still present as intended to stop pops.

It seems to sounds ever so slightly warmer with less edged treble but I could be imagining things here. I believe Rob Watts also prefers optical connection over USB. It's either getting slightly more jitter with optical or a whole lots more RF and electrical noise through USB and all the related problems with the PC USB driver at this moment.

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #11,211 of 42,765
  With optical, it cured the 0.5 sec mute without sampling rate changes and the crash prone ASIO drivers, yes. But 0.5sec mute on sample rate change is still present as intended to stop pops.

It seems to sounds ever so slightly warmer with less edged treble but I could be imagining things here. I believe Rob Watts also prefers optical connection over USB. It's either getting slightly more jitter with optical or a whole lots more RF and electrical noise through USB and all the related problems with the PC USB driver at this moment.

Here is a link to Rob's post on the subject

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #11,212 of 42,765

I think I do vaguely remember Rob Watts saying preference for optical. Also I recall Rob being adamant that all inputs sound identical. Then some Mojo users having preference for some inputs, and saying other inputs are clearly worse.

Thank you for the heads-up on the optical curing muting on same sampling rate sources.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #11,213 of 42,765

My source material on both rigs is more and more coming from Tidal Hifi.  I am looking forward to Tidal's streaming Meridian's MQA in the near future having heard great things about it from those who have auditioned the format.

I had a listened recently to Meridian DAC playing MQA files at an event and I am impressed, this was not a scientific test at all but 'Smile' on face with tracks I already knew were enough to prickle my interest. Can't wait for Tidal and Onkyo et al to feature these. Bonus is on non MQA devices it plays as 44-48Khz files at 24Bit

Agree with you there m8. Also... perhaps people should get back into the habit of listening to an ALBUM. Like in the olden days. It's quite refreshing. If you let the tracks play sequentially there's no gap! I think we got a bit too used to everything being on tap, on demand, too quick to change channels :) 

At the end of the day the real test are the sound your hear from your own ears and not the opinions or findings of others.

ASIO is picky and easy to mess up. Even changing sample rates can make it freak out. I would recommend WASAPI or DirectSound unless you are having stuttering issues.

Hence why I have my Mojo connected to my phone and access all my files via my network when at home, JRiver and the need for drivers etc were most annoying also my aging laptop with failing USB ports is also not helping.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #11,214 of 42,765
Do you mean use optical connection to PC? That cures all.

If so I am confused by the clocking. 'I think', according to Chord the Mojo does iso-asynchronous clocking on USB. I am not sure what happens accross the optical connection. I am sure I read that somehow the other Mojo digital inputs are somehow asynchronous.

Just worried because the general idea on DACs in general says use asynchronous. Generally to avoid other optical connections because they are not clocked by the DAC.

I believe the optical connection is re-clocked, per Rob's post here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/3495#post_12044746

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #11,215 of 42,765
All you guys having trouble with the delay(I have no trouble), need to set the software buffer. Seems like I remember the manual/Rob saying that you can set the buffer in software to take care of this, I know I can do it in Jriver. I use Onkyo, bandcamp, YouTube, Jriver, Vic and tune-in and I experience none of these problems.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #11,216 of 42,765
Has anyone had stuttering issues using their mojo with a phone? I had a fair few lastnight when using the Onkyo HF player through my Note 4. I was browsing the internet via Wifi and listening.

Feb 12, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #11,217 of 42,765
Has anyone had stuttering issues using their mojo with a phone? I had a fair few lastnight when using the Onkyo HF player through my Note 4. I was browsing the internet via Wifi and listening.

Try out different options if you are using UAPP. Options like "Force 1 packet per transfer" and tweaking the buffer size can totally fix any stuttering or popping.

If you are using the stock shipped with player, try getting UAPP, it is highly recommended.

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #11,218 of 42,765
I am surprised to read the Cayin C5 is such a worthy amplifier for our Mojo; seems it give a lot of value for its modest (USD 170) upper entry-level price.

once I add another box to the Mojo, I am biased toward desktop units, rather than portables. Imagine the mess of cables while commuting on a train; phone, Dac, and amp.

how do folks discern the distinction between the amp in the Mojo versus dedicated amps? Is it merely using the line-out and using different amps..... when I read about soundstage, instrument separation, those seems to me to be attributes of a DAC, whereas headroom, scaling are amp attributes.

Feb 12, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #11,219 of 42,765
Is anyone stacking a Mojo with a Galaxy S4?

Any issues?

How does it stack?

I'm considering the Mojo as an upgrade to my Oppo HA-2.

Has anyone paired a Mojo with the Alpha Primes?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back