Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 20, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,292 of 42,765
Sorry to put a pause to the hype train but hope this doesn't out to be a week wait - 2 weeks wait and then eventually Chord not meeting demands at all and going few months like I saw it happen with LH Labs Geekout v2 and Schiit Audio Ragnorak. I know Chord is offering better products and is more experienced in business so I hope this won't be the case with Mojo. -

Are there any other suppliers in the U.S besides Moons Audio? I've inquired them about purchasing one 2 days ago and haven't recieved any reply back btw.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,293 of 42,765
I wouldn't put Chord in the same universe as LHL when it comes to production and delivery times. New product demand almost always overwhelms supply, whether it's Apple, Xbox, Sony, etc. I would say that Chord is doing as well as expected here.

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #1,294 of 42,765
Sorry to put a pause to the hype train but hope this doesn't out to be a week wait - 2 weeks wait and then eventually Chord not meeting demands at all and going few months like I saw it happen with LH Labs Geekout v2 and Schiit Audio Ragnorak. I know Chord is offering better products and is more experienced in business so I hope this won't be the case with Mojo. -

Are there any other suppliers in the U.S besides Moons Audio? I've inquired them about purchasing one 2 days ago and haven't recieved any reply back btw.

It's very early on, and unlike LH Labs there is already an actual, finished device. I don't think there will be problems with stock levels once we get a little further on. I'm getting the Mojo, still really looking forward to running it head to head Vs the GOV2/2+. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,297 of 42,765
As I have been one of the few lucky ones to visit Chord Electronics facilities, I can say that they have the highest standards in producing in the house those audio electronics, and i know that they will do their best to supply enough  Mojos to keep up with the high demand,
When a DAC of this calibre has this great price, who can't ignore it and not buy one.
darthsmile.gif

Happy Listening to all the owners out there.
Musicday

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,299 of 42,765
Whether those differences would be heard in a blinded test however....

I've run hundreds of blind tests. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. The method and the participants make a difference. Any old blind test is not a panacea. If you're flipping tracks every 30 seconds and playing typically well-recorded and not rhythmically complex audiophile fare, good luck hearing any difference unless you're comparing pieces of gear that are vastly different in capability. Some of the recent posts on Innerfidelity illustrate this well, as do Mike Moffat's comments about it. When it gets really serious, short-term blind tests break down, You need to live with the equipment for a while. Having said that, some very experienced listeners can still pick differences in seconds even at the high-end. Most people cannot.

On the subject of my previous post, those guys have high-end systems and typically take weeks to decide if there's an improvement or degradation. And even then they often flip between results before reaching a conclusion. And sometimes still get it wrong, e.g. sell Hugo for 2Qute and then re-purchase Hugo. Or vice versa, as there are no absolutes. I'd defy anyone to be able to concentrate well enough to sustain a typical ABX blind test over more than two hours (and I'm being generous suggesting two hours, just in case there are any super-humans around here). Even if you can, two hours is barely long enough when trying to pick subtle differences.

It's dead easy if comparing e.g. an iPhone 5s vs. a Mojo, given that the iPhone sucks in several fundamental ways (glaring digital treble, sloppy bass, and lack of rhythmic integrity on complex music). I own both and I'm quite certain I could tell them apart with a gap of several weeks, months, or years. Mojo vs Hugo I suspect would be a different matter. As would different transports.

I suspect that if Duncan thinks he's hearing a difference, he probably is. Extreme objectivists rarely hear any difference even when everyone else finds it easy; in my experience.

EDIT: This is the Innerfidelity post
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-wrap-what-i-learned#mRpu8jlcDqxVoXuE.97

and the link to Mike Moffat's comments
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/7725#post_11921090

If you know better, please suggest which of your commercially available DACs outperform Mike's. I only learned about this stuff 30 years ago so I'm a decade behind him.

All further comments about blind tests should please be posted to Sound Science, where they're easily ignored.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #1,300 of 42,765

Mine was vibrating but I didn't hear any weird screech. You're not the first to mention it though.

The - volume button on mine is very loose to the extent if you hold the Mojo up it rattles, has anyone else experienced this?

I am sure there is nothing to worry about.
I have seen the quality control at work at the factory and is brilliant, but if you think your unit has a faulty volume button please give us more information, sorry.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,302 of 42,765

I bought mine in store at Stereo Exchange in Manhattan last Thursday.

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,303 of 42,765
Stupid question alert; I plan to use the Mojo strictly as a desktop dac/amp along with the occasional travel. Would I be able to keep the Mojo plugged in permanently? Or would I not be able to use it while charging?

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #1,304 of 42,765
Stupid question alert; I plan to use the Mojo strictly as a desktop dac/amp along with the occasional travel. Would I be able to keep the Mojo plugged in permanently? Or would I not be able to use it while charging?

You can use it and charge it but it does get pretty warm when charged and used at the same time.

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,305 of 42,765
Received my mojo from custom cables today, many thanks.
Have only listened for 15 mins so far, more tomorrow, definitely seems to be a step up from meridian explorer.
Ref "vibration" while charging, the unit is not earthed, i believe this is basically mains hum? Found this while searching for an explanation, not my words but sums it up
Most Switching mode power supplies are made this way. You get half of mains voltage on device metal chassis if it is not grounded. But this is only leak current of some components so very small current, in most cases not hazardous. Some feel it less and some more, because when you touch that metal chassis then leakage current flows through you to lower electrical potential point - ground. The strength of effect you feel depends on contact electrical resistance + your body resistance + other material resistance that is in current's path to ground.
If your electrical appliances are properly grounded, then all leakage currents will flow directly to ground and there will not be any potential difference between you and device chassis = no voltage on chassis. You can measure voltage on chassis with voltage meter/multimeter on AC voltage mode. If you measure between yourself and chassis and you will see voltage level that your body will see if you touch that chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back