Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 18, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #886 of 42,765
Ah! Now that makes sense.
smily_headphones1.gif

you do know he's a deranged lunatic right?

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #887 of 42,765
I am interested in the Chord Mojo, though I have some battery charging questions.

Downloaded the manual, it says I need at least 1 Amp ...  I have a spare iPad charger wall wart (2 Amp @ 5 Volts),  instead of using the apple lightning cable that comes with the iPad charger I think I could just use the USB A >Micro cable that Chord supplies with the Mojo, plugging that into the iPad charger wall wart.
So ...  iPad Charger >> Chord USB Micro cable >> Chord Mojo

Would I be able to use this to charge the Mojo ?

When not using the Mojo to listen to music, would it be OK to leave the Mojo powered on and attached to the charger ?

Reason for the above question, is that it is similar in how I treat my iPhone, that is, when I get home and it is not going to be used, I just plug it into the charger and leave it attached overnight (rather than unplugging from the charger as soon as I reach 100% battery), iPhone seems to keep good battery health this way (rather than constantly letting them run down).  I suppose this is really a question of battery care "best practise".

Thanks to everyone for taking the time on posting their impressions of the Mojo (especially paired with the AKG K3003), I appreciate it.
I have long been curious of hearing Chord products given their excellent reputation, at this price point the Mojo is certainly very attractive and I should be able to have a demo in the next fortnight.

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #888 of 42,765
I have an intelligent charger that has little lights on it that shows if a device is pulling current or not, even when the white light goes off on the MoJo there is still a little bit of current being drawn, so assume is trickle charging so as to keep battery at full, so all is okay there I'm sure :)

Oh, OK-Guy, yup, mad as a box of frogs, especially when I dream about batteries running out of charge, guess I need to get out more, trouble is, more I go out, the more I use the MoJo, so it's actually exaggerating my problem... Erm, maybe I need to stay in more, but then I'll spend more time (and money!) on the forums... Vicious circle!

Think I need those guys in white coats to pay me a visit!

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #889 of 42,765
I have an intelligent charger that has little lights on it that shows if a device is pulling current or not, even when the white light goes off on the MoJo there is still a little bit of current being drawn, so assume is trickle charging so as to keep battery at full, so all is okay there I'm sure
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, @OK-Guy, yup, mad as a box of frogs, especially when I dream about batteries running out of charge, guess I need to get out more, trouble is, more I go out, the more I use the MoJo, so it's actually exaggerating my problem... Erm, maybe I need to stay in more, but then I'll spend more time (and money!) on the forums... Vicious circle!

Think I need those guys in white coats to pay me a visit!

@ Duncan ... that was quick response, Thanks for your help !

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #890 of 42,765
I am interested in the Chord Mojo, though I have some battery charging questions.

Downloaded the manual, it says I need at least 1 Amp ...  I have a spare iPad charger wall wart (2 Amp @ 5 Volts),  instead of using the apple lightning cable that comes with the iPad charger I think I could just use the USB A >Micro cable that Chord supplies with the Mojo, plugging that into the iPad charger wall wart.
So ...  iPad Charger >> Chord USB Micro cable >> Chord Mojo

Would I be able to use this to charge the Mojo ?

When not using the Mojo to listen to music, would it be OK to leave the Mojo powered on and attached to the charger ?

Reason for the above question, is that it is similar in how I treat my iPhone, that is, when I get home and it is not going to be used, I just plug it into the charger and leave it attached overnight (rather than unplugging from the charger as soon as I reach 100% battery), iPhone seems to keep good battery health this way (rather than constantly letting them run down).  I suppose this is really a question of battery care "best practise".

Thanks to everyone for taking the time on posting their impressions of the Mojo (especially paired with the AKG K3003), I appreciate it.
I have long been curious of hearing Chord products given their excellent reputation, at this price point the Mojo is certainly very attractive and I should be able to have a demo in the next fortnight.

The iPad charger should be fine, but for lithium ion batteries, in general, the longer you have it at full charge the shorter the overall lifespan of the battery. Not sure if the same applies to the dry cel lithium polymer in the MoJo.

You can read about lithium ion lifespan here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

"Besides selecting the best-suited voltage thresholds for a given application, a regular Li-ion should not remain at the high-voltage ceiling of 4.20V/cell for an extended time. When fully charged, remove the battery and allow to voltage to revert to a more natural level. This is like relaxing the muscles after strenuous exercise. Although a properly functioning Li-ion charger will terminate charge when the battery is full, some chargers apply a topping charge if the battery terminal voltage drops to a given level."

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #892 of 42,765
You can read about lithium ion lifespan here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
cannot quote indented quotes on mobile, however in the case of my charger, for all tablets, phones and my ecig that I charge with it, when charging is complete it shows no current whatsoever being drawn, so this is definitely something the MoJo is calling for, rather than being force fed.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #893 of 42,765
@ x RELIC x       thank you for the Battery University link !

I read it and noticed " Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling."
as well as the part you quoted.  Noted that the article is for Lithium Ion batteries (rather than the dry cell Lithium polymer of the Chord Mojo)

So, I think the best thing for me to do is just remove it from the charger once it reaches 100%

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #894 of 42,765

I read it and noticed "[COLOR=333333] Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling.[/COLOR]"
as well as the part you quoted.  Noted that the article is for Lithium Ion batteries (rather than the dry cell Lithium polymer of the Chord Mojo)

So, I think the best thing for me to do is just remove it from the charger once it reaches 100%
Would be interesting to get Chords take on it, as a lot of devices charge at full speed to say 90% and then trickle in the rest, what I noticed with my charger, bearing in mind this device isn't even 100hrs old yet, could just be part of what should happen (i.e. I haven't left it in that state for days on end, and FWIW in that state, the device is as cool as a cucumber :))

Edit: let us not forget that in the instructions it says to charge for 10hrs, the white light stays on for way less time than that, so that adds to the trickle charge thoughts...

you have a weird mojo going on mate (keeping on topic) but kinda interesting... what happens when you open the box?
Depends if the box was air tight or not.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #895 of 42,765

I read it and noticed "[COLOR=333333] Exposing the battery to high temperature and dwelling in a full state-of-charge for an extended time can be more stressful than cycling.[/COLOR]"

To be honest I'm sure Chord has implemented the proper battery circuitry for long life operation so I wouldn't be that worried about it. Plus, can you really just leave it on the charger and not listen to it for long? :tongue_smile:

I more or less posted the link as many people have misconceptions about keeping their batteries at full charge for extended periods of time. I've had a few batteries in the past die prematurely on me for this exact reason. Giving back to the community and all that. :)

Duncan to be clear I was talking about keeping it at max charge for prolonged periods. Like maxing the RPMs on your car in park for too long. Very stressful. Same thing they are saying about lithium ion, even on trickle (again not exactly the same as li-po in the MoJo). I agree, it would be interesting to get Chords take on it.

Almost all lithium chargers slow down significantly after 90%. It's a safety thing I don't want to get into and derail the thread further.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #896 of 42,765
Originally Posted by Duncan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Would be interesting to get Chords take on it, as a lot of devices charge at full speed to say 90% and then trickle in the rest, what I noticed with my charger, bearing in mind this device isn't even 100hrs old yet, could just be part of what should happen (i.e. I haven't left it in that state for days on end, and FWIW in that state, the device is as cool as a cucumber
size]
)

Edit: let us not forget that in the instructions it says to charge for 10hrs, the white light stays on for way less time than that, so that adds to the trickle charge thoughts...

+ 1    agree, it would be good to know Chords take on it.  Thanks again !

Have found a place where I can demo both the Chord Mojo and the Oppo HA-2 at the end of the month, but this thread has been very good with people posting 
there useful impressions, so I must admit I am nearly 100% leaning towards the Chord Mojo.  

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #898 of 42,765
I have a Mojo, AK380 and AK380 Amp so can provide some early feedback.

Thanks for the response.

Have you tried the Mojo with the optical line out of the AK380?

I ask because I'm guessing the Mojo sounds better when fed by a AK Dap rather than an iPhone.

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #899 of 42,765
I just signed up for Tidal and was testing it out via MBP's USB - Micro USB Mojo. In the mojo manual it says that the power ball light indicates the sample rate with a table below. Only problem is I see no table. When I tested Tidal/Spotify/iTunes the ball had a pale blue colour on all.

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #900 of 42,765
The table is on the outside edge of the inner portion of the box :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back