Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #902 of 42,765
I just signed up for Tidal and was testing it out via MBP's USB - Micro USB Mojo. In the mojo manual it says that the power ball light indicates the sample rate with a table below. Only problem is I see no table. When I tested Tidal/Spotify/iTunes the ball had a pale blue colour on all.

The table is brilliantly printed on the box itself.

You need to set the sample rate manually in the midi controller app in OSX, or use a third party program that will pass along the sample rate from the track in mixed sample rate libraries. I use Audirvana+.

Not sure if Tidal has the option to pass the sample rate information independent of the midi output settings.

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #903 of 42,765
Thanks for the response.

Have you tried the Mojo with the optical line out of the AK380?

I ask because I'm guessing the Mojo sounds better when fed by a AK Dap rather than an iPhone.

There was lots of debate in the HUGO thread about coax vs optical vs USB and I believe Chord themselves stated that optical was the superior connection. But that didn't stop a lot of people preferring coax and there were lots who couldn't tell the difference at all. It might well sound better out of an AK DAP, but probably not to the extent that it would warrant buying one if you already owned an iPhone. I'm happy with the sound out of my S5 (although I need a better cable solution) and I wouldn't buy an expensive DAP merely to use it as a transport. For the record, I get no interference with 4g or wifi, although I am experiencing the odd stutter - something I'm attributing to the mass of cables and adaptors in the chain.

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #904 of 42,765
There was lots of debate in the HUGO thread about coax vs optical vs USB and I believe Chord themselves stated that optical was the superior connection. But that didn't stop a lot of people preferring coax and there were lots who couldn't tell the difference at all. It might well sound better out of an AK DAP, but probably not to the extent that it warrants buying one if you already own an iPhone. I'm happy with the sound out of my S5 (although I need a better cable solution) and there's no way I'd pay for one of those overpriced toys merely to use it as a transport. For the record, I get no interference with 4g or wifi, although I am experiencing the odd stutter - something I'm attributing to the mass of cables and adaptors in the chain.

I already own the AK100ii so I was naturally curious. I was looking into upgrading up the AK chain or getting a Hugo, but then the Mojo came along and has changed things a bit. Now I feel like I can save a lot of money and get similar quality sound

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #906 of 42,765
ok seeing everyone has earned a day off at The Pump it's down to me to bring you a 'Official' Chord-Electronics announcement dealing with RF interference with phones...

We at Chord Electronics suggest that people switch to flight mode when using Mojo Especially when it's strapped to a phone.

When using a phone as the source the RF noise level is dependant which frequency its on and how far the base station is away from the phone.

This is because the phone will ramp up its transmit power to make the connection.  This is almost like an EMP bomb going off right next to the Mojo and its two dangling RF receiving cables. We have taken all precautions, but there is little that can be done to overcome the massive amount of RF that is generated within millimetres of the Mojo, hope this helps in some way. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #907 of 42,765
Cut the hype guys and give us real impressions! Over 60 pages, 5 days of using Mojo and not even one post about how it sounds, just hype. That's starting to be suspicious, don't You think?

There's more "awesomeness" here than on Apple keynotes:)

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #909 of 42,765
Today I tried and the mojo with zx2->mojo->cdm. As a dac, it is more energetic, more transparent, and feels more dynamic then the zx2. It's base also hit harder yet controlled. Overall it's a marked improvement over the zx2 as a dac. The amp section versus say the cdm, the cdm is smoother, warmer ,more musical and overall more enjoyable through the cdm then direct from mojo. Just being better then zx2 is all that it matters to me; I find most saber based dacs don't feel any better really.

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #910 of 42,765
  Cut the hype guys and give us real impressions! Over 60 pages, 5 days of using Mojo and not even one post about how it sounds, just hype. That's starting to be suspicious, don't You think?

a bit of self-praise before I go... it took some organising of 500+ Head-Fi'ers to create all the 'hype'... Obi-One gave me instant admission to become the newest member of The-Force he was that impressed, I digress...

ever think that it's because Mojo is a innovative product that brings Hi-End to the masses?

Oct 18, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #911 of 42,765

a bit of self-praise before I go... it took some organising of 500+ Head-Fi'ers to create all the 'hype'... Obi-One gave me instant admission to become the newest member of The-Force, I digress...

ever think that it's because Mojo is a innovative product that brings Hi-End to the masses?

Yeah, so innovative that it can't be compared to anything at all:)

Just to let You know I'm not trolling, I preordered my Mojo just after release from Polish distributor. I just wanted to read some real impressions, not another "awesome", that is hype, You can't deny, can You? Even if not intended:)

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #912 of 42,765

This is my first amp so take what I say with that in mind. I listened to a few hours last night using Spotify free and it just made music better in every aspect and I woke up this morning with the desire to just listen to more music.

I will say I recently listened to a Audio synthesis da-x and desire with a creek obh21se and that had a larger sound stage. Right after that I heard a Wadia 270 cd
Dcs Purcell and Delius with Verity Parsifal speakers, which just blew my mind. Taking into account the price I'm very happy with my mojo

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #913 of 42,765
I read it that way too, the 'warmth' was relative to the Hugo, whose signature was not to some folks liking (too lean/cold/sterile were some of the criticisms I've seen levelled at the Hugo).

I would agree that it's warmer than Hugo and that it's less clinical (cold) too.  Also the edge/hardness has been reduced that some people call timing - I think there mistake-taken and I think that Mojo proves this.

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #914 of 42,765
That is more than a little harsh!!

FWIW, I am one of the people that finds the Hugo cold and sterile, compared to well, the Mojo, and also players like the ZX2, and definitely against vinyl... I have all of those items, does that invalidate my thoughts as well? what probably doesn't help me is that I generally listen to bright IEMs, but I do mention this, and this is a valid argument, alongside those that use the HD800...

I add those disclaimers to my posts, feel free to search through my posts right now to check, now, tell me I do not know what I'm listening to, or how I'm listening to it, and I'll leave this site never to come back, due to the elitist, arrogant nature of some of its members, however, tell me you understand different people come from different directions and that you get that opinions are like brains, everyone has one - then, I'll buy the next round at the bar...

Your move.

I also find the Hugo a bit clinical (cold & sterile), but I think Rob Watts said in a previous post that the Hugo's design is getting on for 3 years old and there have been Hugo TT and Dave since then moving the design (and sound) forwards (better).

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #915 of 42,765

Yeah, so innovative that it can't be compared to anything at all:)

Just to let You know I'm not trolling, I preordered my Mojo just after release from Polish distributor. I just wanted to read some real impressions, not another "awesome", that is hype, You can't deny, can You? Even if not intended:)

it's awesome! Believe the hype, it's ground breaking miracle - wipes the floor with any device in it's price range that I've heard, or higher. I've commented on it's sound in past posts in this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back