Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 21, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,427 of 42,765
My current setup is the Audioquest Dragonfly > Project Ember II > Nighthawk/HD650/Sony Z7. Would it be worth selling my Ember and Dragonfly and just using the Mojo? Or sale the ember and use the Mojo as an amp with my Dragonfly?

The Mojo doesn't act as an amp only - it only has digital inputs, so the Dragonfly wouldn't work in that setup. Plus I can pretty much guarantee that the DAC in the Mojo will blow the pants off the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly is a great little unit (I still have mine) but it's not of the same league. Cheers 

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #1,428 of 42,765
I just tested the MoJo with the iPhone 5s. No hiss, no interference, no clicks, beeps, bops, etc. Connected with the standard CCK to micro USB cable to MoJo. Tried browsing the web, texting, and even called myself from the land line (the phone rings through the MoJo - blew my ears out!). No noise.

Not sure what the differences are that others may be experiencing but this is my experience with the 5s and MoJo. Also, my X5 and X5ii DAPs are silent connected through coaxial to the MoJo.

Hi Craig, hope you haven't answered this in the following 400 messages. Out of interest, how did the iPhone compare soundwise to a dedicated DAP like the Fiio X5?

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,429 of 42,765
After 15 min. of listening it became clear already. My AK100II is crushed on every level compared with the Hugo, it's not even a contest. All my initial reservations are wiped out. I'm not going to get Hugo since I think it's still very expensive (but maybe justified) and the Mojo has the form factor I'm looking for. I'm so happy my boss ordered three of these things since one of them is definitely coming home with me. The optical out of my AK sounds excellent to my ears and this is with the standard optical cable in the box with Hugo. Luckely I ordered one already for Mojo since I'll keep the AK as transport. Now I'm going to keep listening for a while to Hugo as long as I can and compare later. Iem's are Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro's.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,430 of 42,765
At the frenetic pace this thread is going, it will break 100 pages within a week of starting, I am pretty sure (although am happy to be proven wrong) that this must be some kind of head Fi record!!

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #1,433 of 42,765
So, I've had mine for a week now, and like some others I've had some initial love / hate with it, but allow it, and yourself to burn in / acclimatise and you will almost certainly be rewarded with an SQ that you really shouldn't expect for the price!

Going back to an earlier part of this thread re blind testing, it should be noted (and this is for any DAC) that if your source can be EQ'd through its digital out, that this will have a huge influence in the love / hate you have for the Mojo, even if EQ is switched off, which is why as both the QP1R and X5 have this function, I can hear the difference so easily... This realistically gives UAPP on android a bit of a head start if you want to hear what the Mojo REALLY sounds like.

Digital-out for an iphone would be the lighting port right?

Let me see if I understand correctly, If I can equalize in tuneshell on my iphone5 then pipe that stream into the mojo this is a good thing or a bad thing?  I thought EQ was bad as it bypassed the dac or something?

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #1,435 of 42,765
At the frenetic pace this thread is going, it will break 100 pages within a week of starting, I am pretty sure (although am happy to be proven wrong) that this must be some kind of head Fi record!!

It appears you may be right:

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,437 of 42,765
  Not yet. I ordered mine at 11:45am ET on the 14th. Eager of course, but also know that at the end of the day a delay of a week or so is not going to kill me (well, not totally). Cheers 

You beat me by 55 minutes.

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,438 of 42,765
OK this is going to be brief. I received my Mojo today and after listening to various tracks for a while I can state:

1.When used with a good external amp (like the Ray Samuels Black Bird I'm using) through its line out the sound is in a class of it's own, the music it conveys is expansive, dynamic, engaging and not analytical or clinical.
2. I'm not impressed with it's own headphone amp as the sound seems to collapse on itself (at least through the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II I'm using).
3.  Poorly recorded and/or badly mastered recordings are laid bare.

This is all through the asynchronous USB using a Galaxy Note 3 and Onkyo Music player playing PCM (wav) files from 16/44 to 24/192.  

BTW anyone interested in using the Mojo with the Onkyo music player (and you might be forced to as, in my case, the Mojo won't work natively with my version of Lollipop) would be advised to not use up-sampling as it has a notable negative effect on sound quality (dynamics seem reduced, musically less involving).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back