Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 21, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,352 of 42,765
Also, those headphones are totally not resolving enough.
Although this very point I'm going to make will make me seem elitist, it backs up your point completely...

As mentioned last night, the JH Layla and the Shure SE846 used to sound whilst not the same, not too indifferent, when running from my various sources, however - adding the MoJo into the mix, there is a massive chasm between the two IEMs, which more than justifies the price difference...

Whether this is better synergy between the MoJo and the JH crossovers, or - magic pixie dust, or - well, whatever it is, it is a genuine phenomenon that even a deaf person would be able to hear (i.e. it really is NOT a subtle difference!)

If truth be told, I truly hate the level that I have reached, it serves me no benefit as I really cannot enjoy my music unless I have a very specific setup in my hand.

...It is both a blessing, and a curse...

(Oh, and the food analogies that followed mine - yes, they work well! :))

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #1,353 of 42,765
  I’ve only had the Mojo for a couple of days so please take my observations with a pinch of salt; I often change my mind completely about audio gear after a few months or even a year of ownership. Here are a few thoughts on the Mojo / Hugo:

Soundwise I concur with others in the thread - Mojo seems a little darker in signature than Hugo. It is definitely a ‘Hugo-like’ sound, as claimed by Chord. So far, I’ve listened solely with Noble’s K10 (custom), itself a warm-ish earphone. I think the prominent bass works in its favour when using public transport - bass can disappear in noisy environments.

It’s possible (again, suggested by others) that the Mojo’s treble is a little recessed compared with Hugo. This might explain the mids that people seem to be enjoying. (Reduced highs can lead to pleasing mids - think Shure SE530). 

Mojo is a breeze to turn on and set up. With Hugo, I find myself searching for the on switch (usually the wrong end), applying cross-feed by accident, turning down the volume, clicking through the inputs, clicking through the inputs again having gone past my setting, then trying to plug my ‘phones into the wrong hole. Turn on the Mojo and you’re good to go. Buttons and usage wise Mojo easily wins, though I do prefer the volume wheel of the Hugo over the two button volume control of the Mojo.

Is the sound of Mojo a match for, or even better than, Hugo? Mmmm, I’m not sure about that. I must reiterate here that I’ve only had it for a few days, but I think there is something very, very special about Hugo. At times Hugo sounds entirely lifelike and real to my ears, in a way that no other DAC does. The rasp of a trombone, the squeak of a guitar string, the depth of an orchestra, the space between instruments. I can’t put my finger on what exactly, but Hugo has a special sprinkle of magic that I’m not sure Mojo has. Yet. I repeat that I have only listened so far with the Noble K10, which is a very special IEM; differences might not be so obvious with other ear/headphones.

Sound from Mojo sounds a little more closed in, a smidgen more ‘intimate’. There is a good chance that those who find Hugo harsh or fatiguing will like Mojo’s presentation.

Over the last couple of years I’ve owned many DAPs, including AK120, AK120II, iBasso DX90, FiiO X5II. I also had the Oppo HA-2, which I suppose is a direct competitor. In my opinion Mojo sounds better than all of them. I suspect Mojo would pair well with a brighter-then-K10 IEM. Something like JH13 Pro.

I don’t see myself taking Mojo out with me. I’m not a fan of carrying around multiple devices, less so cables. I have an iPhone and dislike having to use the cumbersome and ugly CCK. Interference is, um, interfering. The advice from Chord is to use airplane mode, but for me this is only realistic on a aeroplane.

All the differences noted above may well be down to confirmation bias; I expect Hugo to be better than Mojo, given the size and price differences. Regardless, I think Mojo is fantastic. 

Would like: Mojo DAP. The same little box with a screen and SD slot would make a wonderful device.

Would really like: Hugo 2. This would sound exactly like the Hugo, but with the usability of Mojo. The smaller the better. Add a screen, playback controls and SD slot and THEN you have a game changer!

A great summary, I agree about the interference, i'm not a heavy phone user but yesterday when a couple of texts came in it was so annoying to hear the interference, not something I ever have with the HA2.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,354 of 42,765
  Thanks for the info!

Does the cable transmit the native signal or is it processed by the LG G4 first? For example does the Mojo show the original sample rate for the file being played through the LG G4 using the cable. 

Signal is not processed by the G4, make sure you plug the red end into the phone and let Mojo work it's magic.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #1,355 of 42,765
It doesnt matter which headphones i used. Because i know your answers. "That headphone is Not resolving enough" blablabla. Look Guys, i Trust my ears more than anyone here. And while the Sound from the Mojo is great, it doesnt justify the 600€ i had to spend, for getting something that sounds barely better then my current Setup.

Just for the sake of your joy, i was listening with my Stagediver 2 Inears, my Oppo PM3 and my Koss Porta Pros.

No, I just wondered. In my opinion you should listen to an equipment for some time in order to let your brain adjust to the sound signature and differences of that equipment. I get the feeling you didn't give Mojo enough time. It'd also be a good idea to try some very transparent headphones such as Sennheiser HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1 v2, just to hear the difference more easily.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,356 of 42,765
Although this very point I'm going to make will make me seem elitist, it backs up your point completely...

As mentioned last night, the JH Layla and the Shure SE846 used to sound whilst not the same, not too indifferent, when running from my various sources, however - adding the MoJo into the mix, there is a massive chasm between the two IEMs, which more than justifies the price difference...

Whether this is better synergy between the MoJo and the JH crossovers, or - magic pixie dust, or - well, whatever it is, it is a genuine phenomenon that even a deaf person would be able to hear (i.e. it really is NOT a subtle difference!)

If truth be told, I truly hate the level that I have reached, it serves me no benefit as I really cannot enjoy my music unless I have a very specific setup in my hand.

...It is both a blessing, and a curse...

(Oh, and the food analogies that followed mine - yes, they work well! :))

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #1,357 of 42,765
Listened to this today for an hour. Friend of mine got it already. I'm so glad i dont buy into the typical headfi-hype nowadays. Dont get me wrong, the Mojo is a great sounding unit. No doubt about it. But the improvement over my Ibasso DX90 or my iPhone 5s with the Oppo HA-2 is so small and barely significant, that buying it for 600€ is not an option for me. I really believe that most guys here are suffering from the new-Toy-Syndrom, which is making everything new, sound like its the best thing since sliced bread.

Have to disagree, I have the Oppo HA-2 and PM-3 headphones. I went to my local dealer and went back and forth between Mojo and HA-2 and intially I said to the dealer the difference is there but not night and day. He said take it home for a 14 day trial. Well I can tell you that after a couple of days using Mojo then hooking up the HA-2 again there is a huge difference. Maybe it's because the Mojo has improved with burn in, not sure but the soundstage is far wider, detail much better and the overall sound is far more balanced. I absolutely love the HA-2 but it is not on the same level for pure sound quality. HA-2 has many advantages like easier Apple connection / supplied cables and can be used to charge mobile devices, looks better, build quality higher but Mojo to my ears sounds better.

Oct 21, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #1,358 of 42,765

I said that with tongue in cheek really, although it is not a totally unfair point to make either. There is a level beneath which the transducers become the rate limiting step, I'm not familiar with all of the headphones he has and thus whether it applies to his impressions, but certainly it is fair to say that the PM-3 and Koss are far from the last word in resolution.

Regards the HA-2, although some recent entries eclipse it for SQ (Geek Out V2 being the one I can attest to personally having not yet heard the Mojo), it still has a lot to recommend it. I think if you leave pure SQ aside it is in all other respects probably the most complete package going in its market segment. I can certainly see it being a better option as a whole for many people. I would dearly love to see a refresh of it with the newer Sabre DACs used in the GOV2, a higher output power (in class A) and balanced TRRS output option. I'd probably buy that in a heartbeat.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #1,359 of 42,765
I demoed this last night and makes me consider going back to a stack for a portable setup. 
tongue_smile.gif
 The only thing will prevent me from doing so is if the X7 could provide the same level of fidelity and output power.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #1,360 of 42,765
  Have to disagree, I have the Oppo HA-2 and PM-3 headphones. I went to my local dealer and went back and forth between Mojo and HA-2 and intially I said to the dealer the difference is there but not night and day. He said take it home for a 14 day trial. Well I can tell you that after a couple of days using Mojo then hooking up the HA-2 again there is a huge difference. Maybe it's because the Mojo has improved with burn in, not sure but the soundstage is far wider, detail much better and the overall sound is far more balanced. I absolutely love the HA-2 but it is not on the same level for pure sound quality. HA-2 has many advantages like easier Apple connection / supplied cables and can be used to charge mobile devices, looks better, build quality higher but Mojo to my ears sounds better.

+1  Exactly my findings

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,361 of 42,765
I demoed this last night and makes me consider going back to a stack for a portable setup. :tongue_smile:  The only thing will prevent me from doing so is if the X7 could provide the same level of fidelity and output power.

Funny enough I have an X7 coming in within the week and may be able to provide a brief comparison, most likely just with my JH Angie as the X7 will only have the IEM module in the package.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #1,362 of 42,765
Funny enough I have an X7 coming in within the week and may be able to provide a brief comparison, most likely just with my JH Angie as the X7 will only have the IEM module in the package.

I have a tour X7 coming and by then will have my Mojo (sadly looks like it will not come before I leave for holiday for a week, thanks to the Australian distributors deciding that the extra few dollars saved on shipping to NZ were really an important margin that had to be preserved). Should be interesting.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,363 of 42,765
Sadly stocks will only come next week or after. But this triple stack really is the best. Warm romantic mids with great focus especially for vocals.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,364 of 42,765
I have a tour X7 coming and by then will have my Mojo (sadly looks like it will not come before I leave for holiday for a week, thanks to the Australian distributors deciding that the extra few dollars saved on shipping to NZ were really an important margin that had to be preserved). Should be interesting.

Didn't understand, what did the distributor say?

I did collect mine on Monday.

Oct 21, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #1,365 of 42,765
It's very early on, and unlike LH Labs there is already an actual, finished device. I don't think there will be problems with stock levels once we get a little further on. I'm getting the Mojo, still really looking forward to running it head to head Vs the GOV2/2+. 

Please do share your thoughts vs GOV2 after you get your Mojo in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back