Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 13, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #13,186 of 42,765
  I just got one last week.
  Does anyone in this thread own a 3D printer..? 
popcorn.gif

I just got one last week.

I hope someone will experiment with some stacking implements, to do a really nice, secure job of holding Mojo alongside a DAP/smartphone.

But you've already gone further than that, with your impressive all-in-one effort, so I can't see you personally being motivated to design & print a basic stacking implement
regular_smile .gif

Here is an example of approximately the kind of thing I'm on about, although Mojo is obviously much smaller:

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #13,187 of 42,765
  Glare is normally used for extreme form of hardness or grain in the treble. So I guess one could say going from bad to good glare, grainy, hard, bright, smooth, dark. 

Distinguishing it from detail is tricky as a brighter sound is easy to confuse it with more detail resolution. Indeed, truly more transparency, does sound brighter. So you have to be very careful, and I have been caught out in the past. One way of recognising it is with timbre - it the extra brightness is noise floor modulation for example, then all instruments will sound brighter - even those that are supposed to sound rich and dark. But if the brightness is better detail resolution, then smooth instruments will just sound clearer, not brighter. Also, if instrument separation and focus is worse, then it is not more transparency.

When somebody says it sounds better, but can't actually describe in details what the differences are, be warned! They may be preferring distortion. Fortunately, our lizard brain ignores all this - if its really better, it will be more emotional and involving, so you should use this as your goal. But assessing whether its more emotional or musical takes a lot of time, you can't do it on a quick AB test.

The USB filter devices help (hopefully) but do not solve the problem. It has to use galvanic isolation to do it properly.

Rob

"you can't do it on a quick AB test." 

Spot on!! 

Mar 13, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #13,188 of 42,765
I was using an old phone cable to charge the Mojo while I was using a Monoprice cable with a ferrite core for data. I've since switched both out for ferrite core cables and hopefully that will be that as far as this stupid USB charger goes
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #13,189 of 42,765
Can someone recommend a coax or optical cable to connect my FiiO X5  and FiiO X5 II to my new Chord Mojo? The only ones I've found are the very expensive ones from Moon Audio. I can't tell what's being used in the You Tube videos, either. This amp sounds great with my iPhone and iPod Touch, but I have the two FiiOs and would like to use them as I have a LOT of music. Am new to this hobby so please don't get too technical with me. I'm into the music and definitely not a gearhead. Thanks.

Mar 13, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #13,190 of 42,765
@bettyn see page 737 and after, much discussion of cheap optical cables.

The only way I can run an optical signal to the Mojo currently, as opposed to USB, is to use one of my E-MU USB DACs to only give an optical out signal. This won't affect the sound as it's remaining in digital form throughout, though, right?

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #13,191 of 42,765
  @bettyn see page 737 and after, much discussion of cheap optical cables.

The only way I can run an optical signal to the Mojo currently, as opposed to USB, is to use one of my E-MU USB DACs to only give an optical out signal. This won't affect the sound as it's remaining in digital form throughout, though, right?

Thanks. I'll take a look. Was sure there would be some discussion on here about these cables, but trying to find where it was in almost 900 pages made it a daunting task

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #13,192 of 42,765
  Thanks. I'll take a look. Was sure there would be some discussion on here about these cables, but trying to find where it was in almost 900 pages made it a daunting task

A wonderful innovation being with us for a while, but only a handful of great warriors use in daily life.
I encourage you to be one of them.

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #13,193 of 42,765
A wonderful innovation being with us for a while, but only a handful of great warriors use in daily life.

I encourage you to be one of them.

Lol, I pictured this response in my head but was too lazy to do it. Bravo sir! You are a contributer!!

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #13,194 of 42,765

Pardon me, but I can't help feeling quite insulted (I know you didn't mean it like that, but...)

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #13,195 of 42,765
I had gotten the Tidal through iTunes (apple) not realizing that they would charge 30% more!

I checked off "do not renew" automatically in my preferences and if I want it, I can just start again at Tidal.

Mojo has become my 'favorite' thing...I've got to get a good case for it.  I had it with me today and my wife asked why.  I didn't have an answer.  I didn't think I would be in a place to pull it out with the tiny headphones but, you never know.  

I continue to be stunned over the quality and think that the owner is correct about the science; the brain learns to grasp more data over time. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #13,196 of 42,765
I continue to be stunned over the quality and think that the owner is correct about the science; the brain learns to grasp more data over time. 

Mojo is just incredible, isn't it? :)
I am a typical "Mid-Fi" guy. Most of my gears in the past cost me between £150 and £300.
Mojo is the best audio thing I have ever owned. Can't get enough of it after 3 months. :)

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #13,197 of 42,765
Can someone recommend a coax or optical cable to connect my FiiO X5  and FiiO X5 II to my new Chord Mojo? The only ones I've found are the very expensive ones from Moon Audio. I can't tell what's being used in the You Tube videos, either. This amp sounds great with my iPhone and iPod Touch, but I have the two FiiOs and would like to use them as I have a LOT of music. Am new to this hobby so please don't get too technical with me. I'm into the music and definitely not a gearhead. Thanks.

Once again I'll post this link to a short coaxial cable for the X5ii to the Mojo (which is also linked to in the third post). It's likely the cheapest you'll find unless you make one yourself or a Head FI DIY'er makes one for you.

SHORT, INEXPENSIVE COAXIAL CABLE FOR X5ii to Mojo

In the stock form this cable will only work with FiiO DAPs that have a combined Line Out/coaxial out (notice the TRRS plug). The first generation X5 needs a TS plug, and if you contact the seller I'm sure he can make one for the first gen X5.

Optical simply will not work as the X5ii (and all of FiiO's players) do not have optical output. Optical output is pulses of light, coaxial is electrical signal. They aren't interchangeable without a converter box.

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #13,198 of 42,765
I got this cable to connect my DX90 to the Mojo. It's not that nice in terms of conductors and the length is too long for this application, but it's a heckuva lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV7X3VI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #13,199 of 42,765
I got this cable to connect my DX90 to the Mojo. It's not that nice in terms of conductors and the length is too long for this application, but it's a heckuva lot cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV7X3VI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

That won't work with the X5ii and it isn't coaxial standard, if the user wants to be fully 75 Ohm coaxial compliant with proper shielding. Good enough solution to get the job done though for the original X5 and DX90.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #13,200 of 42,765
After more then a month of reading about Mojo i'm ready to place the order at the local dealer.. my question is: as i intend to use it a lot as a desktop dac, i'm thinking of ordering an Audioquest Jitterbug too, my pc has some age and probably not the "cleanest" usb ports regarding RF noise - any opinions about this? Or should i maybe order just the Mojo and later the jitterbug if needed.. (my poor wallet :frowning2:  )
Also as someone was saying some posts ago, i wonder if the Mojo will replace my desktop amp too (Bottlehead Crack) for powering my HD650.

On my Windows 8 laptop the Jitterbug does help. So does Fidelizer, which has both free and purchased versions. I'd therefore assume that my laptop is electrically noisy, as the sound without either is harsh and unpleasant as per Rob Watts's posts regarding noisy signals. The musical timing is also a complete mess when playing e.g. complex jazz. I'd suggest trying Fidelizer first to see if it is good enough, you can't really go wrong with it given that it's free.

I also have a separate optical source and the cleaned up USB sounds comparable. I can't claim it's identical as I haven't compared them. They both sound good, and I'd rather listen to music than do AB listening tests...

Opinions will vary as environmental factors vary between systems. I have also had similar results with my Naim DAC-V1 and a different Windows 7 laptop which is in a different part of the house.

EDIT: Don't use the Extreme mode of Fidelizer as it may permanently disable some Windows services that you might need, and once you've made the mistake it's not easy to revert to a working system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back