Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 7, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #12,631 of 42,765
  I think even though vinyl recordings have pits, the needle, while reading this information, is recreating the analogue sound via a magnetic field........

Now I'm getting lost in trying to explain it...
confused.gif

Hey man, my apologies; in an effort to reduce 'post-bloat', I removed a further quantifying statement:
"The solution I assume would be if the 'pits' were able to be of variable depth/length (and the stylus to be able to recognise them as such), thus making it an analogue device".

I thought it was over-long and wondered if I might be putting too much faith in the 'ancient' vinyl technology, but apparently not :D
Thanks to you and the others for your informative replies
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #12,632 of 42,765
My Mojo is off while charging. As soon as it is plugged into the charger, the little LED under the charging micro usb port comes on as solid green. While I have not actually timed it charging, the light stays solid green for five to six hours and then goes out. When I turn it on, that little LED (under the charging port) stays off for a little less than two hours and then comes on solid green for the next five to six hours. It then goes to solid red for a little less than an hour when it starts flashing red.

Not really a problem for me, but very different that what was described here and in the user manual about charging.

Just wondering if it was only mine or if anyone else had a similar experience.
Fully charged the battery status led should be blue

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #12,633 of 42,765
BTW after almost 2 months I am still in love with my Mojo. I can't wait every evening to switch it on. Such a great sound. It shines and it is unbelievable with live recordings and acoustic. With that kind of music it just takes your breath away, so realistic. But with all other music genres Mojo is also much better than any other amp or DAC I have ever tried. Enjoying Mojo daily for 2 months. And still didn't get enough. That tells something. :)

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #12,634 of 42,765
  Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones that will compliment the Mojo.

The HD650 is currently selling at £233 on Amazon UK, which seems a good price. How much better would the HD800 or Beyerdynamic T1 be?

Is there anything else that I should consider? I currently have ie800 IEMs and really like them.

Thanks for any and all advice

I have a pair of HD600 and T1 and the T1's are excellent with the Mojo. Compared to the HD600's it's like several veils have been lifted when listening to the T1's. WELL worth the upgrade.

I had been using K3003's exclusively and I wanted something over-ear which gave as good sound. The T1's are better for sure; they put a certain distance between the listener and the soundstage which is so cool. You can zone in on each area of sound with such precision, it's amazing. I do love my K3003s too! They sometimes pip the T1's in terms of musical involvement. Ah such 1st world prevariactions. Joy!!

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #12,635 of 42,765
  BTW after almost 2 months I am still in love with my Mojo. I can't wait every evening to switch it on. Such a great sound. It shines and it is unbelievable with live recordings and acoustic. With that kind of music it just takes your breath away, so realistic. But with all other music genres Mojo is also much better than any other amp or DAC I have ever tried. Enjoying Mojo daily for 2 months. And still didn't get enough. That tells something. :)

Amen to that, my friend. 

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #12,637 of 42,765

Objectively the most obvious difference is the maximum output voltage and power. Mojo can deliver 5Vrms and 720mW at 8 ohms, which is more than enough to drive big inefficient headphones or very low impedance multi-BA driver IEMs.

Dragonfly being USB bus-powered, it caps out at 2Vrms due to the ESS Sabre DAC's built-in voltage output, and 150mW at its best. I often find it cap out in volume when I use it on bigger headphones.

Also some people have lots of 192kHz and DSD albums that Mojo can play natively, while Dragonfly is limited in that sense.

It really depends on what kind of earphones you are connecting to. For normal IEMs and headphones, you rarely benefit from the huge power of the Mojo, so the sound quality is subjective. I found the Dragonfly 1.2 feel punchier and drier, but lacking a bit of mid texture, so it feels hot and exciting, while others might say it's a tad annoying. Mojo on the other hand has loads of detail in the low mid, like the vocals and lead electric guitar, so I can really get into the music, but it can sound a bit tame on the highest and lowest frequency ranges. 

I think the Mojo is a good investment as an all-round, fully specced, super powerful portable amp, whereas Dragonfly is a good compromise solution for on the move. By the way the Dragonfly 1.2 sounds much nicer than the original one, which was too rough and violent sounding for me.

It's normal IEMs and relatively easy to drive headphones. If I keep my DT990 (250OHMS) they'll be the hardest to drive. Sounds like I don't need the power of the Mojo as I'll only listen to the DTs at home where I have a valve amp (Little Dot II)

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #12,638 of 42,765

Vinyl rips have their fans, mostly because vinyl is considered, by many fans, to sound superior to digital formats.

But the problem is that as soon as you rip vinyl to digital, you are taking away the very thing about it that is supposedly superior - it's pure analogue quality.

Added to this, one should bear in mind that anyone doing a vinyl rip is unlikely to have a studio-grade ADC (Analogue-Digital-Converter).

So, in my opinion, vinyl rips are just absurdly stupid. I'd much rather have a digital file made, using a studio-grade ADC, from the original studio analogue master tape, than have someone at home, no matter how excellent their record deck may be, converting a vinyl record to a digital file.

In any case, I am really, really looking forward to the day (quite soon) when Rob Watts gets a high tap-count ADC into some commercial studios, so that some analogue master-tape albums can be remastered to digital, using his excellent digital conversion approach - these particular remasters should sound very substantially better than any other digital masters or remasters ever produced, thus far.

Regarding the comment on Rob Watts putting an ADC into some commercial studios, is this a wish, or has there been confirmation that he actually has this in the pipeline?
If so, sign me up at once
biggrin.gif

What follows is just a taster, to give you some pointers about Rob's future ADC, but I don't want to derail this, the Mojo thread, so if you have further questions about the ADC, then it'd be better to ask Rob about it, in the DAVE thread
popcorn.gif

I am currently designing a ADC converter, that will match Dave's performance, and solve a number of issues that plague conventional ADC's - notably huge noise floor modulation, poor anti-aliasing filters, and poor noise shaper performance.

I know from the work with Dave that the perception of depth needs noise shapers of astounding accuracy; indeed, Dave ended up with 350 dB performance noise shapers, in order to ensure that small signals are resolved with zero error - from listening tests, this is needed to ensure the brain can perceive depth correctly.

Now I have designed a ADC noise shaper that exceeds 350 dB performance (note these numbers are digital domain performance only, so it is an idealised noise shaper - I am only looking at the THD and noise of the noise shaper only). To test the noise shaper I can run Verilog simulations, capture the data, then do an FFT on the data, and then check the results. Before I did that, I thought it would be a good idea to run a similar simulation with Dave's noise shaper. In this case, I am trying to evaluate whether it can accurately encode very small signals, so I am using a -301 dB sine wave at 6 kHz. If it can resolve a signal at -301 dB, then we can safely say that small signals are accurately encoded, at least in the digital domain.

So here are the results:

So this is the digital domain performance of the Dave noise shaper, and frequency is from DC to 100kHz (0.1 MHz).

The 6 kHz signal is perfectly reconstituted at -301 dB. You can see a flat line at -340 dB, but this is just a FFT issue. The real noise floor at 15 kHz is at -380 dB, which is about 100 trillion times lower noise than conventional high performance noise shapers. Note also the noise at 100 kHz is at -200 dB - that is extraordinary low for a noise shaper, and shows why I need to do little filtering on the analogue side.

-301 db is better than 50 bits accuracy.

Now to write the code for the ADC!

Rob

Davina is the first adc which is for analogue inputs so you can listen to vinyl at 768k and record the album at 44.1 at the same time. But really the motivation for the product is a first step towards a pro audio interface so pro recording can be done.
Rob

.... on the ADC (project code word Davina), its a project that I have been working on for a long time (actually the first prototype was in 2001). There are a number of key things happening that conventional ADC's don't do well - noise floor modulation, aliasing, and noise shaper resolution. The noise floor modulation issue was solved way back in 2001. Aliasing is a major problem - normal ADC decimation filters are half band, so offer worst case only -6dB rejection. But I have used -140 dB decimation filters, and can still hear the effects of aliasing. Fortunately its not difficult to design a filter that has no aliasing, its just FPGA resources. On the noise shaper side, getting Dave standard (350dB) is not a problem, I have already designed that noise shaper.

We will be doing test recordings later this year, so I will publish test samples too on Head-Fi. I too am very excited about the sound quality possibilities of the ADC.

Rob

One of the good things about the Davina project is that I will have clear answers to these problems.

Firstly, timing. The problem that Dave is solving, and its a very important problem only due to sampling the music, is the reconstruction of the timing of transients. Now a bandwidth limited signal (that is zero output at 22.05 kHz and above), if you use an infinite tap FIR filter, with a sinc function for the coefficients, would perfectly recover the missing waveform that was within the ADC before it was sampled. So if we have a DAC that has an interpolation filter that was "good enough" - that is double the taps and you hear no difference, and halve the time from one OP to the next and you still hear no change - then we will be left with a perfect reconstruction filter, and the DAC will re-create the signal effectively perfectly before it was sampled. What we will hear is the bandwidth limited signal. Now my question is - will bandwidth limiting within the ADC change the SQ? This I will find out from Davina, and I can test this without using decimation, so I will know this aspect for sure.

The second issue is amplitude accuracy. Now depth perception requires zero error in small signal accuracy - the smallest error in amplitude, no matter how small, seems to confuse the brain, and so it can't calculate the depth correctly, and we then see a degradation in the perceived depth. Now with Dave the small signal performance of the noise shaper allows a -301dB signal to be reproduced perfectly - that's way better than 50 bits, and actually more like 64 bit accuracy. So how do I encode 64 bit amplitude linearity within a 16 bit system at 44.1? Will triangular dither do it? In principle it will. Normally I use noise shapers to guarantee 64 bit audio performance, but although this works at 768 kHz, it won't work effectively at 44.1 kHz. Again, this is an aspect that I will find out from the Davina project.

Rob

More such posts here:

=766517&advanced=1]www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=adc&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=rob+watts&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread[0]=766517&advanced=1

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #12,639 of 42,765
  I was shopping for a 128GB card for my new FiiO X7 and found this deal. I thought I share this with everyone who is looking for a new microSD card.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1181366-REG/samsung_mb_mp128da_am_micro_sdxc_128gb_evo.html

BH is an authorized dealer and they are very reliable. This card isn't fast enough for 4k video just in case if you are wondering.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #12,640 of 42,765
OK , thanks , i have just pull the trigger for a second hand mint LCD 2 Fazor , hope that my MOJO have enough power to drive the AUDEZE . Cheers

It will, no worries.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #12,641 of 42,765

I think, that is mostly because of the different natures of the two headphones. Mojo drives HD600 very well. However HD600 still can sound slightly better, as they scale extremely well. But for 90% of headphone enthusiasts Mojo drives HD600 well enough. That is why I think, it is more likely your headphone preference than Mojo's abilities. HD600 is great for acoustic live music, not that good for EDM. For this reason I prefer X2s over HD600. (Admitting its advantages with certain genres.) LCD2 is also a more bass focused headphone, while HD600 is obviously mid focused.

You may be right. I just got back from having my hearing tested and it turns out that for low to mid sounds I'm fine but have some hearing loss in the upper registers. Pretty normal for a guy turning 55 in a couple of days. I'm finding the HD600s a little more "veiled" these days and attribute that to at least partly to my hearing loss. I guess as my hearing changes so will my headphone preference.

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #12,643 of 42,765

You may be right. I just got back from having my hearing tested and it turns out that for low to mid sounds I'm fine but have some hearing loss in the upper registers. Pretty normal for a guy turning 55 in a couple of days. I'm finding the HD600s a little more "veiled" these days and attribute that to at least partly to my hearing loss. I guess as my hearing changes so will my headphone preference.

This post may cheer you up and put things in perspective...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back