Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 6, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #12,586 of 42,765

Thanks yes this is my situation. However after seeing @blueninjasix setup which looks like the Mojo into 2 tube monoblocks, i might just use it in DAC only mode when I am at home, and feed it into my preamp for volume control.

Mojo allowed me to get rid of my preamp completely as the pc and foobar is my only source. I'm convinced that this more direct route allows more of the mojo goodness to get through. It's higher resolution than my previous dacs (Art D I/O and Deltec Bigger Bit which is also a Rob Watts design) and has removed an unwanted bloom in the bass. Mojo has rekindled my passion for recorded music.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #12,587 of 42,765
  Mojo allowed me to get rid of my preamp completely as the pc and foobar is my only source. I'm convinced that this more direct route allows more of the mojo goodness to get through. It's higher resolution than my previous dacs (Art D I/O and Deltec Bigger Bit which is also a Rob Watts design) and has removed an unwanted bloom in the bass. Mojo has rekindled my passion for recorded music.

So you are going direct mojo to power amps? because that is how i plan to use mine.

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #12,588 of 42,765
Yes. I have 2m length rca interconnects from each amp into an audioquest adapter that plugs into the mojo's headphone socket. I use the balls to adjust the volume.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #12,589 of 42,765
Are you using the Mojo while it's charging? When the unit is off the LED indicator should be white and that's it. When the white light goes out it's fully charged. If the white light is blinking the Mojo isn't getting enough current.

My Mojo is off while charging. As soon as it is plugged into the charger, the little LED under the charging micro usb port comes on as solid green. While I have not actually timed it charging, the light stays solid green for five to six hours and then goes out. When I turn it on, that little LED (under the charging port) stays off for a little less than two hours and then comes on solid green for the next five to six hours. It then goes to solid red for a little less than an hour when it starts flashing red.

Not really a problem for me, but very different that what was described here and in the user manual about charging.

Just wondering if it was only mine or if anyone else had a similar experience.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #12,590 of 42,765

Are you using the Mojo while it's charging? When the unit is off the LED indicator should be white and that's it. When the white light goes out it's fully charged. If the white light is blinking the Mojo isn't getting enough current.

My Mojo is off while charging. As soon as it is plugged into the charger, the little LED under the charging micro usb port comes on as solid green. While I have not actually timed it charging, the light stays solid green for five to six hours and then goes out. When I turn it on, that little LED (under the charging port) stays off for a little less than two hours and then comes on solid green for the next five to six hours. It then goes to solid red for a little less than an hour when it starts flashing red.

Not really a problem for me, but very different that what was described here and in the user manual about charging.

Which Micro USB charger you are using ?
What's the Output Volt and Ampere ?

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #12,592 of 42,765
  I just spent some extensive time listening yesterday to a few DACs (Chord Mojo included), a couple of sources, and a few amplifiers.

To save you some time, if you have no interest, I did not listen to the Bimby. I have in the past owned a Bimby, which was upgraded from a Bifrost Uber. And yesterday, I was listening to my current Bifrost 4490, which I personally upgraded both the USB to version 2 and the chip from the original 4399. In no short order, I have heard every generation of Bifrost. And I came to the personal conclusion yesterday that I will own the Bifrost no more.

There is nothing wrong with the Bifrost! I very much enjoyed my initial listening sessions with Bifrost Uber feeding into the original Valhalla paired with HD650 headphones. But by the time I was able to upgrade to the Multibit version, I had already purchased and owned the Gungnir Multibit. I tell my closest friends the story of the great purge caused by the Gumby, including Arcam irDAC, Bifrost Multibit, and Meridian Director. Each of those DACs had certain traits that I admired, but not on the whole - I like the Gumby on the whole.

And in my, likely controversial opinion, I believe each the Bifrost, Gungnir, and Yggdrasil are voiced. And having listened to the voicing of the Gungnir, I found it preferable to Bifrost, regardless of the chip goodness that I believe the Multibit upgrade to be. And similarly during my listening session yesterday, I decided not to re-acquire the Multibit chip in my Bifrost. I started my listening session with the Bifrost 4490 and a DNA Sonett, plugged into HD800S headphones. It was enjoyable, but not the plan for the day. I planned instead to listen to the slightly more forward treble presence of HD800 and Audeze EL-8C headphones. And upon switching to the HD800, I immediately noticed significant dissatisfaction with the sound. I would flip, back and forth several times between the HD800 and EL-8C, so I will not bore you with that part of the changes. However, once I'd switched first to Explorer2 DAC and finally to Chord Mojo DAC, I never changed the DAC.

This final DAC switch, to the Chord Mojo, recalled the great purge. It was extremely satisfying, regardless of headphone, regardless of amplifier, regardless of source. I learned yesterday what a great source my Android tablet could be - not possible with any of the Schiit DACs due to their power consumption through the USB interface. Amplifiers I used were DNA Sonett, Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon, and finally re-listening to my Asgard 2. Due to the stacking, I'd always listened to the Asgard 2 via the Bifrost, but from the Chord Mojo, it had an entirely new sound. The depth of the sound stage was not at the level of either the Sonett or Carbon, but it was still a satisfying, fun sound.

So no, I have not listened to Bimby/Lyr 2 in direct comparison to Chord Mojo. But in my opinion, the satisfaction I get from the Mojo is more on the level of Gungnir Multibit combined with other amplifiers, of which I would include DNA Sonett and Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon. I personally would not use Mojo directly with my HD800 (just a personal preference regarding the more forward treble sound from the Mojo), but through an amplifier I found it to be quite satisfying. And into headphones for which it works, Audeze EL-8C is such an example in my case, it is quite satisfying all on its own.

2X. Something about the Mojo...I could not go back to Bimby or Dac 19 (10th anniv).  And I really liked the Dac 19 but there was something about the Mojo that suited me. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #12,593 of 42,765

Which Micro USB charger you are using ?
What's the Output Volt and Ampere ?

It is an Anker 36 watt 4 port charger capable of putting out up to 2.4 amps per port at 5 volts. I have also charged it from my Mac USB 3.0 ports.

Ohk last Q, what's the color of the LED while you are charging ? White/Green/Blue ?

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #12,596 of 42,765

Well that's odd. As I'm sure you've read it should be white while charging. Full charge is blue to green to yellow to red to blinking red. Fried LED maybe. Can you exchange your unit?

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #12,598 of 42,765
Do you guys think thst mojo has a *burn in* period or that it gets better in time used? Not brain burn in?

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=burn-in&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=784602&advanced=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back