Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 2, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #12,226 of 42,788
Hey guys... Just looking for a comparison... Anyone heard the Hifiman HM-901s vs the Mojo?

as a DAC, Mojo is a little smoother in texture and tad cleaner n drier in the delivery with leaner more treble tilted tone[quite sibilant prone], hifiman is more dynamic, better centre focus, impactful, richer n warmer in tonality. both r good in their own respect, i much prefer the more powerful n thicker tone of the 901S. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #12,229 of 42,788
  Just my 2 pennies worth

When it comes to Android and support, Good luck

Google provided an OS which through the AOSP is available to anyone and open to modification and customisation.
As a result it is hard to find any 2 devices from different manufacturers that will work in the same way
Samsung, HTC, OnePlus, Huawei, Joe Blogs, ANOther Phone manufacturer etc. can choose how they implement the USB audio out along with other aspects of their phones

If they follow the guidelines set by Android usually very few problems arise that cannot be solved by app developers hence most developers will use the Nexus devices initially.
Neither the dev or Chord can be held responsible for issues if the phone manufacturer chooses not to follow the guidlines.

But I do hope your issues are resolved soon. If using UAPP the developer is great at offering support
frown.gif

sadlythat's the problem, compatibility is not 100%, and it seems huawei has problems with asynch Dacs as i found out from tests.

the UAPP developer doesn't know why huawei may have problems, but it's sure i have to change my phone.

about the cracklings with other phones, i wasn't able to help him find out because S6 and Note3 aren't mine and i can't make extensive tests...but for those symptoms, it seems
it's an interference problem....but actually it is very subtle in certain conditions, and i can go ahead

considering that mojo is working fine with PC, it is most probably something due to phones or maybe cables

very happy about Chord and UAPP assistance

Mar 2, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #12,230 of 42,788
What battery is the mojo using? Since u hv seen the internals. Thanks

Chord has said they had a battery made specifically for the Mojo using new battery tech. It's a new Lithium Polymer battery that they apparently needed to wait for to start producing Mojos.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #12,231 of 42,788
my comments regarding mojo vs yggy were in reference to rob's comment that mojo should be compared with a $50k DACs. my query was a bit specific that anybody compared yggy vs mojo ( not even Hugo) both feeding to a same amp and not the mojo direct. main USP of mojo ( like Hugo and other chord DACs) is the accurate representation of transients ( transparency and detail will follow automatically) . may be the detail retrieval of yggy is mainly the slight edge in the treble region.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #12,233 of 42,788
  Anyone been able to compare Hugo to Mojo?

I mean I am thinking of selling my Hugo and getting 2 Mojo's instead, is that a good idea?

+1
I think you can get 3.5 Mojos with the price of Hugo.

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #12,234 of 42,788
  Anyone been able to compare Hugo to Mojo?

I mean I am thinking of selling my Hugo and getting 2 Mojo's instead, is that a good idea?

level matched (by voltage) and blind listening test, I can't discern any difference using HD800 or T51P. However, battery life is longer on Hugo and Mojo runs hotter. Output options also make Hugo more versatile. All that difference at 3x the price. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #12,235 of 42,788
I thought I would post a review of a well known mobile phone vs Chord Hugo

So I listened to some songs on my phone, and honestly it is a pretty good listen nowadays, it sounds smooth, engaging and rhythmic - until you listen to the Hugo or other Chord DAC

Back to the phone music ability, it has received pretty good reviews in the press, and some people have commented on it on these forums

However on this album "the Piano guys LIVE", the song with or without U (originally by U2), on the Hugo the Piano keys are crystal clear

I can hear each Piano note clearly, and the start and ending of the notes. It sounds very realistic to me. it is engaging to listen to.

On the phone everything sounds nice and smooth, but the start and end of the Piano notes just isn't as clear at the Hugo. I just could not hear it as clear, and the impact of the Piano notes is blurred, and not in a small way. The Piano sounds like it has lost energy and and Pianist also is not as interested in the performance.

and after hearing how Hugo deals with this song, going back to phone is kind of a major step down in enjoyment.

That (for me) is all there is to this, Rob Watts absolutely nailed it when he said digital audio's biggest problem is the timing of transients.

on the Ed Sheeran song "Nina" same outcome, the opening Piano on the Hugo has real impact, on the phone, blurred, just not as interesting to listen

The Snare drum on the Hugo has real impact, you can almost feel the stick hitting the drum, on the phone the energy is down a few notches, and it doesn't sound like the same drummer, the energy isn't the same. 

Listening to these 2 songs on the Hugo is very thrilling and engaging. like a live performance, on the phone, nice, but not as interesting, doesn't seem like the same performance, even though it is the same recording !

I am sure I could replace the phone with any non chord Dac and have the same outcome repeated over and over again. A bit like eating soggy fries with no salt when you can have a 5 star chef prepared meal (the Hugo)

Hope this helps. For me, Live performances have always been thrilling to listen to, and recordings always much less energy, and I was very annoyed with this, until I discovered Rob Watts technology

On the song 2 AM breathe by Anna Nalick (remember from Grey's anatomy?) on the Hugo the Piano and Drums have energy, on the phone - yes you guessed it, all the musicians are playing as if they half asleep.

I posted this because I feel too many people here focus on the sound, rather than the musical engagement aspect of the Hugo and Mojo. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #12,236 of 42,788
Those Instagram images of the Dignis cases are really nice, I'll buy one. Is there any news on the Chord ones?

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #12,238 of 42,788
my comments regarding mojo vs yggy were in reference to rob's comment that mojo should be compared with a $50k DACs. my query was a bit specific that anybody compared yggy vs mojo ( not even Hugo) both feeding to a same amp and not the mojo direct. main USP of mojo ( like Hugo and other chord DACs) is the accurate representation of transients ( transparency and detail will follow automatically) . may be the detail retrieval of yggy is mainly the slight edge in the treble region.

My comparison was with both feeding an ALO Audio Studio Six, level matched. The detail retrieval with the Yggy (when warm) is better from the bass all the way through to the treble. Nothing to do with tonality at all. 

The Yggy doesn't really count as a "up to $50k" DAC comparison as it is neither manufactured nor marketed as a high-end 2-channel DAC. Then again, neither is the Mojo. Both are pretty much "Let's cut the usual crap and just make an objectively and subjectively great bargain of a product as many people as possible can enjoy."

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #12,239 of 42,788
Dignis Mojo black case ready this Friday at $40 plus postage. Red and brown later for $52 plus postage. As quoted by Jeongjae earlier today. Going for a black one

Thank you for the heads up. Seems a good idea to protect our beloved Mojo. I am thinking of waiting until the SD-card player is out. Then acquiring a case to encompass the SD-player+Mojo together. Otherwise the Mojo sits safely on my desk, with its lights smiling at me.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #12,240 of 42,788
thanks @Currawong for the response. actually somewhere I read that mojo was compared with much more expensive DACs like msb and dcs debussy and similarly yggy was also compared with msb. while mojo was close or at par with msb but yggy was found lacking against msb. I agree that the reviews are subjective and depends much on the personal inclinations but my point is that as far as I know mojo is much more superior in tech as compared to yggy in tech, it should sound better overall IMHO. much of the yggy preference may be due to its cost and shiit label . I may be wrong . I would like to listen from others too about yggy vs mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back