Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 9, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #11,013 of 42,765
Well that changes things a lot, I suggest you look into the mega threads on this site that review hundred of iems and organize them into spreadsheets. Sorry I can't remember the names of them but shouldn't be hard to find. I remember the custom art company having an excellent silicone ciem in your price range.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #11,014 of 42,765
The Mojo gets the best of any IEM, full stop. Now please, stop talking about IEM or headphones options on this thread. It is pointless as there are many other places on this forum with better info on this subject.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #11,016 of 42,765
Yes, please if you want to ask about what headphones or IEMs to buy, please start a thread in the Help forum.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #11,017 of 42,765
  Here are my results from using a more powerful 12w(5.2V 2.4A) official Apple USB charger as suggested by Moon Audio.

Gear used w/Mojo: ADEL A12 CIEMs + Iphone5 via CCK
Music: Bandcamp streaming
LED setting: Bright
Volume Level: ~90% of the time 3 red lights

The Test:
I used Mojo until it died (Normally I charge at yellow but for the test I wanted to go: empty->full->empty), then immediately plugged it into the wall using 12w Apple charger + included Mojo cable.  Charged from 11:12AM-1:30PM w/LED showing correct color for charging, after 2 hrs 18 minutes the charging light went off and Mojo would not charge anymore. 

Test Results: (duration each light was on)
Blue: 10 Minutes
Green: 1 Hour 29 Minutes
Yellow: 16 Minutes
Red: 4 Minutes
Flashing Red: 2 Minutes
Temperature throughout test: Felt slightly warmer than body temperature, barely warm to the touch

Total time before Mojo died from full charge: 2 Hours 1 Minute

Conclusion:
Same battery life as the last test(last test = charged w/1A Apple block from empty), poor battery life.

Try draining the battery completely, then charging it fully using a different outlet.

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #11,021 of 42,765
That's Mojo unique strength in that it sounds very natural. The essential problem with digital is that it is a sampled signal but the original music signal is continuous. Mojo restores the continuous analogue signal in a fundamentally much more accurate way. Indeed this was the reason why Hugo was so successful; frankly two years ago I did not appreciate how sensitive the brain was to extremely small timing errors. It is these very subtle timing errors that is responsible for why conventional digital sounds so awful and unemotional. But it does take some time to appreciate how much of a musical leap forward Mojo is.
Rob.

I got what the Hugo did in a very short while after I first got it (one song), but many people don't have live acoustic non-amplified music as their reference, and grew up listening to bad quality DAC and digital.  Mojo is the real deal musically.

As for the quality of digital files, I went back and re-ripped my original CD with DBpoweramp, and the results are even better than I thought possible on my Hugo.

Please give your Hugo or Mojo the highest quality bit perfect data to hear what the Mojo is capable of. 

I am even more impressed now, wonderful ! Smooth liquid, analog-like flow to the music.

Back when QBD76 was released, what hi-fi magazine said only the very best turntables could equal this flow, and now the Hugo and Mojo, it is even better.

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #11,022 of 42,765

I got what the Hugo did in a very short while after I first got it (one song), but many people don't have live acoustic non-amplified music as their reference, and grew up listening to bad quality DAC and digital.  Mojo is the real deal musically.

As for the quality of digital files, I went back and re-ripped my original CD with DBpoweramp, and the results are even better than I thought possible on my Hugo.

Please give your Hugo or Mojo the highest quality bit perfect data to hear what the Mojo is capable of. 

I am even more impressed now, wonderful ! Smooth liquid, analog-like flow to the music.

Back when QBD76 was released, what hi-fi magazine said only the very best turntables could equal this flow, and now the Hugo and Mojo, it is even better.

I agree with both of your statements. Many, maybe even most listeners, lack  a real reference point, ie acoustic  music, and that HUGO has got anlogue -like flow most of the time. But it also lacks galvanic isolation and  sometimes in an electrically polluted environment ,computer noise or whatever, SQ deteriorates and even becomes bad and hard and digital in a  really bad sense.
Those who have only  heard HUGO under such circumstances don't know what it is really capable of imo. 
 But I am very keen to hear both MOJO and DAVE, when HIFI  shops in Singapore open again after the Chinese New Year  in a couple of days.
I felt like a disappointed kid in front of a  firmly closed toy shop during X-mas, a few days ago when I could see through the window display all three HUGO, which I already own and also MOJO and even DAVE on display at the Adelphi.
The latest Chord product review in HIFI NEWS Jan 2016,which I read at the library here today, even hints that MOJO might actually be even better than HUGO.
But my question remains whether MOJO also suffers from the same RF/USB problems as HUGO ?
Rob Watts has said here that he identified the problems after HUGO was introduced. But have they been solved in MOJO or not?

Feb 10, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #11,023 of 42,765
To eliminate the RF and signal correlated noise on USB you need galvanic isolation. The downside to galvanic isolation is that it draws power from the source - which is not something we can do with a mobile product. All Chord desktop DAC's have USB galvanic isolation now.

That said, mobile sources are much lower noise - they have very efficient processors, unlike a PC, and there is no ground, so circulating currents are much less, so it is a much smaller problem with mobile. If you can do it, use the optical, as this usually sounds the best and is completely isolated. Optical has a undeservedly poor reputation, as it sounds much smoother and darker than other inputs, and this is just a feature of lower noise floor modulation - its smoother with better instrument separation and focus - but lack of glare is often confused with a lack of detail resolution. Listening tests must be done with a lot of care, as it is easy to draw the wrong conclusions!

Rob

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #11,024 of 42,765
I actually get quite a bit of EMI when made into a stack with my Nexus 6P, but it's eliminated by going into airplane mode. Also fairly inconsistent, and only really appears when I put them up against one another. 

Got some copper tape coming in to see if I can block out the EMI. Will be taping up the inside of the phone case I use to stick on my mojo.

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #11,025 of 42,765
  To eliminate the RF and signal correlated noise on USB you need galvanic isolation. The downside to galvanic isolation is that it draws power from the source - which is not something we can do with a mobile product. All Chord desktop DAC's have USB galvanic isolation now.

That said, mobile sources are much lower noise - they have very efficient processors, unlike a PC, and there is no ground, so circulating currents are much less, so it is a much smaller problem with mobile. If you can do it, use the optical, as this usually sounds the best and is completely isolated. Optical has a undeservedly poor reputation, as it sounds much smoother and darker than other inputs, and this is just a feature of lower noise floor modulation - its smoother with better instrument separation and focus - but lack of glare is often confused with a lack of detail resolution. Listening tests must be done with a lot of care, as it is easy to draw the wrong conclusions!

Rob

That means when using Mojo as a desktop dac it benefits from a usb filter such as uptone regen/jitterbug/wyrd or a usb to optical converter like the m2tech hiface?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back