Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 8, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #10,907 of 42,765

Sometimes it gets pretty warm when charging and playing at the same time, but I wouldn't call it hot.

I was wondering about the temp during playback only without charging.

All things being equal battery capacity wise, if your Mojo is lasting half as long a mine the components are drawing twice as much power which will equate to maybe twice as much heat. If its not getting excessively hot then most likely your battery has less than optimal charge for some reason. Maybe the charge circuit is stopping the charge too early.

My Mojo gets to 38 deg C case temp measured with a Infrared tempreture guage.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #10,908 of 42,765

All things being equal battery capacity wise, if your Mojo is lasting half as long a mine the components are drawing twice as much power which will equate to maybe twice as much heat. If its not getting excessively hot then most likely your battery has less than optimal charge for some reason. Maybe the charge circuit is stopping the charge too early.

My Mojo gets to 38 deg C case temp measured with a Infrared tempreture guage.

When only playing(not charging at the same time) with my setup as described above, my mojo might get barely warm but never hot.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #10,909 of 42,765

When only playing(not charging at the same time) with my setup as described above, my mojo might get barely warm but never hot.

OK, I can't say for sure 100% but I would say your battery is not reaching/holding full charge. Its certainly worth getting it checked. I wouldn't be happy with only 2h usage from a full charge.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #10,910 of 42,765

It is amazing just how much musicality is inherent in these digital recordings. More amazing is how wrong these manufacturers have been getting it for so many years.
Mojo definitely makes average sounding headphones/IEMs sound amazing.
I too would suggest buying a Mojo first, then listening to some reasonably priced headphones or IEMs.

I can say now, with all my audio experience ( I'm 39) walkmans was first light in darkness, now onkyo dp-x1 and mojo gave me almost my first youngest feels, and it just fantastic joy for me now.
For those of you, who likes Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, R.E.M., Pet Shop Boys, Gazebo, A-Ha, R.H.C.P, Sandra, Secret Service, Billy Idol, even Beastie Boys got sound now!
most of my files in DSD taken from LP 5.6 and 2.8 - sounds fabulous
so if you still thinking buy it or not - life only one - no second chance to explore
and, yes even IEMs under 300 can make you knock out with unbelievable sound

my new tracks - Hidden Orchestra, Cocteau Twins, Naxatras, and Jazz now it is unbelievable good.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #10,911 of 42,765

All things being equal battery capacity wise, if your Mojo is lasting half as long a mine the components are drawing twice as much power which will equate to maybe twice as much heat. 

I agree with your overall point, but this isn't necessarily true.  If the headphone is harder to drive, it is sending more power to the headphone, and less must be burned off as excess heat.  This is why Mojo actually runs cooler at higher volume levels than low volume levels.  In regular mode (ie not line out mode) Mojo should always have the same power draw to the amp no matter what.  If it's not going to the headphones it gets burnt off as heat (and vice versa).

But yes, I do agree that it seems like for some reason his battery isn't holding a full charge.

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #10,912 of 42,765

I agree with your overall point, but this isn't necessarily true.  If the headphone is harder to drive, it is sending more power to the headphone, and less must be burned off as excess heat.  This is why Mojo actually runs cooler at higher volume levels than low volume levels.  In regular mode (ie not line out mode) Mojo should always have the same power draw to the amp no matter what.  If it's not going to the headphones it gets burnt off as heat (and vice versa).

But yes, I do agree that it seems like for some reason his battery isn't holding a full charge.

On the analogue side, I agree with you, I was really thinking about the digital circuitry, every Mojo should use the same power on the digital side, but a fault on the digital side of things may cause a higher power consumption, which may or may not result in more heat.

Its all speculation on my part and probably a bit off the mark.

I have noticed that my battery lasts longer and the Mojo runs cooler from the coax or optical digital inputs, perhaps the USB chip is disabled or running in a low-power state in this mode.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #10,913 of 42,765

On the analogue side, I agree with you, I was really thinking about the digital circuitry, every Mojo should use the same power on the digital side, but a fault on the digital side of things may cause a higher power consumption, which may or may not result in more heat.

Its all speculation on my part and probably a bit off the mark.

I have noticed that my battery lasts longer and the Mojo runs cooler from the coax or optical digital inputs, perhaps the USB chip is disabled or running in a low-power state in this mode.

Ah yeah, I agree there.  I think that people with battery issues with Mojo are experiencing some sort of issue in either the digital realm or more likely have issues with the battery itself.  My main point was that we can, thankfully, not worry about the load on the headphone when it comes to the Mojo, as this should be equalized no matter what volume level and impedance load you're working with.  

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #10,914 of 42,765
Don't know if this provides a clue as to what may be going on with my battery, but it shows repeating: 15s on white light, 15 sec light off after ~2.5 hours charging.  When unplugged and powered on it gives the blue light(full charge).

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #10,915 of 42,765
  Don't know if this provides a clue as to what may be going on with my battery, but it shows repeating: 15s on white light, 15 sec light off after ~2.5 hours charging.  When unplugged and powered on it gives the blue light(full charge).

Get it swapped. Looks like a faulty unit. Mine has been on blue for 2 hrs now, playing 320 mp3 (AK100 - MOJO - U12).

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #10,917 of 42,765

How much would that cost? I've never shipped internationally, isn't there VAT taxes and all sorts of nonsense?  I'm in the US.

usually no VAT for maintenance.  E-mail Chord and ask them. Tell them about the blinking issue.  Usually the only fee you'd pay would be 1-way shipping.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #10,919 of 42,765

Initially, you go through your local dealer...

What's the point of that? Looks to me it just adds another link in the chain that isn't necessary, but for me it'd be Moon Audio.  Plus moon audio has a 10% return fee, which would be $60 which would be more than it would cost for me to ship it straight to Chord.

"We offer 14 day return policy on full price or regularly priced items. There will be a 10% restocking fee on all returns with a minimum fee of $25."

Plus I've had it for more than 14 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back