Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 19, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #1,066 of 42,765
any detailed comparison between mojo and ifi dsd micro

I'll have the iDAC2 coming in tomorrow (if Fedex can actually deliver it to my house this time and not some random address, grrrr), which iFi says is basically a desktop iDSD micro - minus one of the DAC chips, battery and effects.

I can post some initial impressions and comparisons in a few days if it will help.

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #1,068 of 42,765
  Also for those looking for high quality otg microUSB-microUSB audio technica makes a great one. 

Official site: https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2706

Thanks, would be great to have from this cable a version with 90° angled micro USB plugs, less bulky in a stack with a phone.

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #1,069 of 42,765
I'll have the iDAC2 coming in tomorrow (if Fedex can actually deliver it to my house this time and not some random address, grrrr), which iFi says is basically a desktop iDSD micro - minus one of the DAC chips, battery and effects.

I can post some initial impressions and comparisons in a few days if it will help.

DAC-19 vs Mojo Jojo please. :wink:

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #1,070 of 42,765
I am glad that Nighthawks were used for tuning with the Mojo. It is my favorite headphone ATM. I'll be having having a blast with all my headphones with this thing. IMO, the NightHawk's are fine headphones, I don't hear any emphasis with bass, if there is it's very minimal and unless someone is playing a repeated track to check a certain frequency, I doubt it would have any negative effect on one's listening session. I don't need 100% naturalness with my music, what I DO need is a "euphonic" listening session which the NH provides in spades.
A very musical headphones with a very musical DAC - can't wait to get my own mojo to pair together.
biggrin.gif

Well, I don't know if the majority of your Hugo listening was done via the Nighthawk as well, but that would certainly explain why you feel the need to lash out at those who find the Hugo to be somewhat lean/harsh/clinical/bass-shy/cold-sounding.

The Nighthawk has to be one of the most colored headphones I have listened to while still being considered "serious". Perhaps a tie with the Ultrasone Pro 900. To me, it sounded very dark and muddy, with emphasize on bass, but hardly any tightness. I was severely underwhelmed, to say the least. And I really wanted to like it, becuase I knew it came recommended with the Hugo and might potentially solve the problems I was experiencing. Well, suffice it to say I found the price I would have had to pay (literally as well as figuratively speaking) way too high. It might be a "fun" listen, but to use such an extreme headphone to "tune" anything would hardly make any sense at all. You would most likely end up with a sound signature that is directed towards the exact opposite direction: being treble-heavy, lean, extremely clean bordering on aseptic .... Hmmmm, waitaminnit ...

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,071 of 42,765

Funny thing is that there are quite a few android phones coming out with ESS Sabre dacs so they don't sound all that bad:

What you want is a phone with the following:
- Expandable storage
- Replaceable battery or fast charge option - with removable batteries you can use huge aftermarket batteries to get monstrous battery life.
- Strong processors, not easy to play lossless files and its taxing on weaker processors

But these days the flagship phones are doing away with storage and removable battery 
frown.gif

If looking at phones with good audio quality by themselves 
High End
- LG V10
- Meizu Pro 5 (can use headphone port as line out port via settings option)
- Sony Z5 (can natively play DSD according to sony)

Midrange
- Asus Zenfone 2 (300 USD version gets you 4GB of ram, thats insane!)
- ZTE Axon Elite (said to be audiophile quality phone but ymmv)

My recommendation would be to get a mid range phone as you get close to flagship specs at much lower prices. The 2 aforementioned midrange phones would be good but I dont know if they have removable battery.

Another solid choice would be the older Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which is nice and big, has expandable store and removable battery. A company called zero lemon makes huge batteries for them which lasts for days at a time. Depending on how much power the Mojo draws, that might be a good compromise. Most cellphones these days are ridiculously thin to begin with so stack size will be smaller relatively. 

Hopefully that helped! 

Great info - thanks!

Again, being an Android newbie, are there any mid-level Android phones with either dual-SD cards or that can handle maximum-sized microSD cards (200gb currently I believe). Looking through some of the details on the Android phones most of them seem to show that their SD slots go up to a maximum of 32 or 64gb.

Cheers  

Oct 19, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,072 of 42,765
Great info - thanks!

Again, being an Android newbie, are there any mid-level Android phones with either dual-SD cards or that can handle maximum-sized microSD cards (200gb currently I believe). Looking through some of the details on the Android phones most of them seem to show that their SD slots go up to a maximum of 32 or 64gb.

Cheers  

Any that take 64gb will take 200gb. Even those that won't take 64gb will take the 200gb if you format it to Fat32 first (by default they are formatted ExFAT, you lose the ability to have files larger than 4gb with Fat32 and a bit of read/write performance, but neither are relevant to the use-case here).

(and before anyone posts that can't format storage that large to Fat32, you're wrong, that limitation hadn't existed for years and you'd best update yourself on Google)

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,073 of 42,765
Great info - thanks!

Cheers  

These talks, please carry it in it own threads here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662095/best-smartphone-for-audiophile/1170#post_12005345

Let's get back to Mojo in the Dojo, shall we ?:D.

Oct 19, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,074 of 42,765
Hoping someone can help. I'm being thick. I can't seem to find a digital 3.5mm coax cable. I want to use the Mojo with my Blu-Ray player, which only has coax output. Can someone point me in the direction of one in the UK? Thanks.

It's okay, I found one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-Gotham-3-5mm-to-RCA-coaxial-SPDIF-soundcard-interconnect-/380393458227?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Was hoping to pay less than that, but oh well.

I've not come across this type of cable before.

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,077 of 42,765

your hand is more usable than a case but I'll pass your request on for sure...
normal_smile%20.gif

Sorry, not sure if expressed myself correctly.
What I meant was that Hugo's case makes the device a bit more difficult to operate as you have to remove the flaps for almost anything you do.
Also, IMO the handle is not very useful and makes the whole thing even bulkier.
Finally, the finish of the case is (again, IMO) not at the level of the device itself.

I don't think I'm the only one on this forum who raised concerns about this.
Anyhow, take it as a customer's feedback and see if it's of any use...
Cheers!

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #1,078 of 42,765

About Mojo's case/cover.

If possible it would be nice to see something more usable than Hugo's leather case...
Please, please...!

Any suggestions for an interim pouch that fits the Mojo nicely before Chord make their case available for sale? don't want to scratch/damage the Mojo whilst waiting for it 

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,079 of 42,765
  Hoping someone can help. I'm being thick. I can't seem to find a digital 3.5mm coax cable. I want to use the Mojo with my Blu-Ray player, which only has coax output. Can someone point me in the direction of one in the UK? Thanks.

It's okay, I found one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-Gotham-3-5mm-to-RCA-coaxial-SPDIF-soundcard-interconnect-/380393458227?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Was hoping to pay less than that, but oh well.

I've not come across this type of cable before.

I was looking at that too, if you do find a cheaper one please post here so I can benefit :) In the interim I ordered a mono 3.5 jack to convert my standard coax cable to 3.5mm (however it's not 75ohm, so not ideal, and not sure if it'll work)

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #1,080 of 42,765
  Anyhow, take it as a customer's feedback and see if it's of any use...
Cheers!

I can only pass things on, personally I find the case to be pretty good for my usage (I'm not just saying this for Chord's sake), the ZX2 is pretty bulky and I like the fact that it holds it securely, I use it upside down and slip my fingers into the handle so it's clutchable... I tend to Bluetooth otg otherwise I'd have to use a man-bag because of the two-cable connection.

you can never meet everyone's requirements or wishes which is pretty much a fact of life, though we try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back