Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #9,676 of 42,765
I am sure this is covered but this is quite the long thread to read through. For work, I plan on using a Mojo and am awaiting its delivery. I am looking to have a headphone that I can lave at work as well. Anyone got some recommendations for a solid headphone that is a good all-rounder that will be comfortable and quite pleasant for long sessions, probably not turned up too high in volume.

EDIT: Budget is around $150-$300. I would prefer something in that range so I can get it new, otherwise if its more expensive I will need to find it used. Closed-Back headphone preferred. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #9,677 of 42,765
Is the click in the same moment of the song every time? Does it click with all your phones? How about using other micro sub cables? I seem to remember people reporting clicks with some micro Usb cables but not others-what I'm saying is it wad the cable.

I am still on with this. I swapped over the audio USB cable with another. However it wasn't long enough, and I had to use a short USB extension. I relistened to the quieter music in which I heard clicks with the previous cable I had. It was better mostly, then on the last track clicked twice. Since all the cables I have are all £1 examples, I will need to buy a quality one to be sure. However I am staggering at the thought of spending £70 to get the appropriate length QED Reference USB A-B Micro.

Maybe I should be aiming for a simpler shielded cable rather than a full audio quality cable. At the moment I am only interested in ruling out Mojo fault. I never had this issue with my Meridian Explorer. It's a pretty offensive click too. (Buying the QED would be amazing though if I hear sound upgrade like @imattersuk said.)

Feeling a bit deflated. I am going to search Head-Fi topics for posts about this.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #9,678 of 42,765
  Motorola Moto E "nd gen or Moto G 3rd gen are other options especially if available cheaply where you are

As above or any of the more recent budget phones Huawei, Xiaomi and Asus, Wiley Fox, OnePlus X

Just need to have 5.0+ android, and also worth to check if 128GB+ micro sd works with the phone.

Just wondering, if running mojo from any android phone gives about the same sq as for example AK100s optical out?

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #9,679 of 42,765

Sadly this option does not exist on my phone.  Keep in mind that it's a HTC One M8 "Google Play Edition" which means it runs completely stock Android 6.0.

Any further ideas are welcome of course :)

In Android 5, my HTC M8 used to have this annoying glitch/click noise every few seconds even in flight mode. It was upgraded to Marshmallow yesterday and all the glitch all most disappeared even in data mode, only hear it very rarely, it is not completely free of noise but acceptable. Oh it also fully supports native USB audio out now which is great!

if yours is running android 6 already, there should be some setting to make it work. Mine is UK version. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #9,680 of 42,765
I am sure this is covered but this is quite the long thread to read through. For work, I plan on using a Mojo and am awaiting its delivery. I am looking to have a headphone that I can lave at work as well. Anyone got some recommendations for a solid headphone that is a good all-rounder that will be comfortable and quite pleasant for long sessions, probably not turned up too high in volume.

EDIT: Budget is around $150-$300. I would prefer something in that range so I can get it new, otherwise if its more expensive I will need to find it used. Closed-Back headphone preferred. 

Hey man, check out the Beyerdynamic dt770 32 ohm. The ones with the pleather earpads. As far as closed cans in that price range, Ive tried the akg k545, k550, sennheiser momentum 2.0 around ear, hd 25 aluminum, and a few others, the dt770 was the best all-rounder for me. It has the dark tonal characteristics like the hd650 but with more bass presence and faster treble. I read in your profile that you like bass heavy music. these definitely satisfy.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #9,681 of 42,765
Hey man, check out the Beyerdynamic dt770 32 ohm. The ones with the pleather earpads. As far as closed cans in that price range, Ive tried the akg k545, k550, sennheiser momentum 2.0 around ear, hd 25 aluminum, and a few others, the dt770 was the best all-rounder for me. It has the dark tonal characteristics like the hd650 but with more bass presence and faster treble. I read in your profile that you like bass heavy music. these definitely satisfy.

you sure the 32 ohm DT770's? I was considering the 250 pro version. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #9,682 of 42,765
I am still on with this. I swapped over the audio USB cable with another. However it wasn't long enough, and I had to use a short USB extension. I relistened to the quieter music in which I heard clicks with the previous cable I had. It was better mostly, then on the last track clicked twice. Since all the cables I have are all £1 examples, I will need to buy a quality one to be sure. However I am staggering at the thought of spending £70 to get the appropriate length QED Reference USB A-B Micro.

Maybe I should be aiming for a simpler shielded cable rather than a full audio quality cable. At the moment I am only interested in ruling out Mojo fault. I never had this issue with my Meridian Explorer. It's a pretty offensive click too. (Buying the QED would be amazing though if I hear sound upgrade like @imattersuk said.)

Feeling a bit deflated. I am going to search Head-Fi topics for posts about this.

£70 is too much. I got my cable from Lindy for £15.
To rule out the Mojo, connect it to a laptop with the cable that came in the box.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #9,683 of 42,765
  In Android 5, my HTC M8 used to have this annoying glitch/click noise every few seconds even in flight mode. It was upgraded to Marshmallow yesterday and all the glitch all most disappeared even in data mode, only hear it very rarely, it is not completely free of noise but acceptable. Oh it also fully supports native USB audio out now which is great!

if yours is running android 6 already, there should be some setting to make it work. Mine is UK version. 

Thanks so much, I really hope so.  Yeah since this is a Google Play Edition, it's running the very latest stock Android, so it's equivalent to a Nexus basically.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #9,684 of 42,765
Quad stacked! Ipod touch - alo rx - mojo - dx90

interesting arrangement - I would be interested to hear why you have chosen 4 components in the chain rather than a simple two component chain (iPod Touch and Mojo).  Did you test all the various combinations (ie by adding/ removing components)?  Any observations you can share?

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #9,685 of 42,765
£70 is too much. I got my cable from Linden for £15.
To rule out the Mojo, connect it to a laptop with the cable that came in the box.

That's an idea. Will do.

I was thinking about writing to QED. I'd ask them if they were happy for me to try and see if the cable cures it the clicking.

Which £15 cable did you get? I guess I need to look for ferrite shielded.

I am using the thread search for 'click', and found others mentioning it. Post 6373 through to about 6379, here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/6360#post_12140082

They got it with HD-audio. I am using CD FLAC. Maybe my cable are really bad.

Thank you for helping.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #9,686 of 42,765
  Newbie here. The Mojo drew me to this forum. Some great information guys. It's been hard keeping up with the posts (so many), but I wanted to post my thoughts on the Mojo I got at Christmas.
I primarily use Grado SR325's, but have all sorts of free headphones and IEM's. Unsurprisingly the Grados sound great.
What shocked me was how different (better) all other devices sounded. I have some ancient Sennheiser MX500’s I use at work for webexes etc. Occasionally I try to listen to music through them and they always offend. The Mojo can’t make them sound great, but it does make them play music rather than shriek awful noise. I found I’d listened to 9 full tracks with them and enjoyed every minute.
My music collection is mostly FLAC, having ripped all my CD’s several years ago. I have a growing 24 bit collection which always sounds excellent. Overall I find that the 16 bit FLAC music all sounds better. Cymbals and drums particularly are improved with them sounding different for each artist.
This would be good enough to justify buying the Mojo. The bonuses are with MP3’s, DVD’s and as a source for amplifiers.

Simply put, everything sounds better via the Mojo.
Connecting to amps the harshness I’ve always associated with CD music is gone.
DVD’s, particularly those with old film material, amaze me. I watched Dr Zhivago on the laptop, connected it to Mojo then to a Monitor Audio S200 speaker. The movie never sounded so clear. It’s got me trying all sorts of movies now.
The biggest surprise was MP3. WOW! I never liked MP3’s due to the reduced dynamics, harshness and overall loss of detail. Some music is only available as MP3 so I bought it, and had to live with the artefacts. I listened to some 320k MP3’s the other night and my jaw dropped. The Mojo brought out stuff I had never heard before. I have a Linn DS system which sounds great with well mastered files, but exposed what I always accepted as inherent flaws with lossy material. Mojo can’t fix the dynamics, but it finds detail the Linn never does.

This got me listening to DAB radio through Mojo. For those not in the UK, digital radio is based on 64k mono to 192k stereo MP2. YES, MP2. It is as bad as you’d expect. Even this rubbish sounds better through Mojo. The 192k BBC 3 station actually sounds pretty good.
I’m enjoying every day with the Mojo and listening to old albums. So many sound better. I’d recommend this to everyone who has an extensive MP3 or AAC collection. Don’t waste your money on buying them again in a lossless format. Buy a Mojo and that’ll upgrade your whole collection in one go. It really is that good.

Thanks for your impressions - very interesting.  I was surprised to hear that the Mojo can hold its own with the Linn system - which must be many multiples of the Mojo in terms of price.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #9,687 of 42,765
you sure the 32 ohm DT770's? I was considering the 250 pro version. 

Check out the review on headfonia for the dt770 ae. In the sound impression section they compare the difference between the 32, 80 and 250 ohm. The dt770 32 ohm that is out now is the same as the limited edition, only difference is the label on the earcup and the headband material is a little different. The 250ohm might be more towards your preference, but if you like bass check out the 32ohm. I use then with the mojo and they sound awesome imo.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #9,688 of 42,765
Check out the review on headfonia for the dt770 ae. In the sound impression section they compare the difference between the 32, 80 and 250 ohm. The dt770 32 ohm that is out now is the same as the limited edition, only difference is the label on the earcup and the headband material is a little different. The 250ohm might be more towards your preference, but if you like bass check out the 32ohm. I use then with the mojo and they sound awesome imo.

my preference is for neutral these days, but I shall check it out,. thanks for the advise.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #9,689 of 42,765

Just need to have 5.0+ android, and also worth to check if 128GB+ micro sd works with the phone.

Just wondering, if running mojo from any android phone gives about the same sq as for example AK100s optical out?

Have a read of this post:

Super happy with my super cheap transport stacked with my Mojo using the slimmer dual lock. 

I purchased this Sprint Moto E 2nd Gen with a microsd slot. It has NATIVE Android USB audio so you don't need UAPP to listen from the Mojo. Google Music works just perfectly like on my Nexus 6. It's on sale right now too for $39.99 shipped:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sprint-prepaid-motorola-moto-e-4g-with-8gb-memory-no-contract-cell-phone-black/2729581.p?acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0

The general consensus is as long as the SD Card is a microSDXC Memory Card in theory anything up to 2TB should be supported
In reality that mean 128Gb and even 200Gb will be supported.
Motorola have a good record of updating their phones current Moto E 2nd Gen and Moto G 3rd Gen both are on Android 5.0+ out of the box

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #9,690 of 42,765

Oops didn't reply to your other question.

As a home rig my weapon of choice is my OnePlus One, UAPP and my Mojo, portable enough for the house as well as on the move but with UAPP I also have access to my home server so all of my library when at home.
SQ? If all things are equal should be the same but with the AK100 you will be limited to 24/192 and DSD converted to PCM, whereas with the phone and Onkyo HF and UAPP (I do not know about Neutron) you are able to play up to Native DSD at 11.2Mhz 1 Bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back