Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 19, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #7,217 of 42,765
I hope this post is okay here? Still new to Head-fi. Please move or delete mods if this isn't okay. I currently have Sennheiser HD650's & a JDS element & Oppo PM-3's with a HA-2...I'm trying to decide if I'd benifit more from a Chord mojo or a set of Shure SRH1540's being that the price is similar? I use primarily my iPhone 6plus as my source running tidal or Onkyo HF player. Thanks for any help!

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #7,218 of 42,765
The soundstage is wider with my JH Audio Laylas. I'm actually quite disappointed that it is. To be even more negative, I have to say there's a bit more bass and a couple of small details here and there, but the old Fiio x3 to Cayin c5 is not at all bested by the Mojo (I'm using AK100 through a silver dragon optical to feed it). The Cayin is just more holographic than the Mojo. 

These are, of course, early impressions to tired ears.

Yes, to my ears C5 colors sound by adding mid-bass, sparkle, and increasing soundstage. It's fun, but doesn't necessarily have high-fidelity to the source.

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #7,219 of 42,765
The best combination currently that I have is:
Desktop: Macbook 13 > Audirvana Plus > Mojo > FitEar MH335DW (001)
On the go: AK100mkII > SysConcept > Mojo > FitEar MH335DW (001)

AK100mkII still cannot beat Macbook 13 + Audirvana, IMO...

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #7,220 of 42,765
I hope this post is okay here? Still new to Head-fi. Please move or delete mods if this isn't okay. I currently have Sennheiser HD650's & a JDS element & Oppo PM-3's with a HA-2...I'm trying to decide if I'd benifit more from a Chord mojo or a set of Shure SRH1540's being that the price is similar? I use primarily my iPhone 6plus as my source running tidal or Onkyo HF player. Thanks for any help!

The Mojo would yield a larger improvement in this case for the headphones you already own.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #7,223 of 42,765
Yes, to my ears C5 colors sound by adding mid-bass, sparkle, and increasing soundstage. It's fun, but doesn't necessarily have high-fidelity to the source.

Thanks for clearing it up. I can't resist the widescreen soundstage C5 has, I just like it with everything, even if it's wider than what was meant. I also like the sparkle, even the unnatural element in it. I could go on and on, but sound is personal. What I really wish is a DAC better than the old x3 in the mix, but for some reason the line out on Mojo decreases the C5's soundstage compared to the x3. The Mojo has about 15% more resolution and detail, sounds more natural, but the x3 just has a very clear hissless, black line out and the mojo is messy.

Strange that. Kinda feels like I have about 1200 eur worth of extra sound equipment now. Maybe a bundle-sale would work. The AK100 and Mojo combo is hella photogenic, that's for sure. Beautiful combo, just stunning, even more so in real life. Nerdy and sleek.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #7,224 of 42,765
....................the mojo is messy.

Strange that..............

Strange comment indeed. At the end of the day whatever works for you is what you'll prefer. :wink_face:

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #7,225 of 42,765
Strange comment indeed. At the end of the day whatever works for you is what you'll prefer.
wink_face.gif

I surely didn't mean Mojo alone is "messy". It's clear as day. The Mojo's line out to Cayin C5 is - it has more hiss and coloration than the Fiio x3, that's all. It's a known fact x3 (at least the old one) has pitch black line out. The Mojo alone is way cleaner, just less holographic and 3d than the C5.

Dec 19, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #7,227 of 42,765
Ah, that rarely mentioned but vital point of good Hifi systems... when the music clicks in a way that it never has before.

Great taste in music too! Those electric period Miles albums are fantastic and still more experimental than most modern music. They're also a serious test for the music making ability of any Hifi component provided that you 'get' the music at all. It took me about ten years before Bitches Brew started to make any sense.

I do like bitches brew also. Must give it a whirl with Mojo. That whole era was crazy, chock-full of musical exploration. It was like a musical renaissance. So many crossed influences between genres. It really was a fascinating period, so many candles burning fiercely in many directions. Am rediscovering a lot of it now with all this new kit. So much more to enjoy!! Brilliant.

It's so true that some of the really dense stuff can take decades to assimilate. Same for some classical pieces, and prog-rock.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #7,228 of 42,765

Hey Guys,  what's the best in ear headphone paired with the mojo, any recommendations below $1000?

At the risk of being annoying, I'm going to say the answer is: The one that sounds best with the music you like. I've not had a pair of IEMs here that I didn't like the sound of with the Mojo. That includes: Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors, JH Audio Roxannes and Laylas, Torque Audio t096z, and others so I'd say personal preference is the key here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back