Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 22, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #5,658 of 42,765
subbed as the good lady has bought me one to replace my basso d10 for xmas.... there may be questions

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #5,659 of 42,765
Hmm.

Just upgraded my Nexus 5 to the Sony Xperia Z5 mobile phone.  Tidal worked perfectly on the Nexus (OTG cable to the Mojo), but no joy at all with the Z5.

I've loaded UAPP on to the Sony, but get a "Error on initialising USB" when I start up UAPP.  Have also loaded the Onkyo HF Player, but again, that doesn't seem to see the OTG digital out.

Any thoughts on this?  

Would be really grateful for some guidance here.

Thanks

Jerome

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #5,660 of 42,765
FWIIW I hooked up my 846 to my Mojo and turned it on with no music playing....the amount of hiss i heard is infinitesimal..I really have to listen hard to hear it and I do believe the outside noise i heard through the comply tips was more noticable...i listen for the most part with over the ear cans so it is not an issue for me but i was pleased to see that with my unit as least hiss is not a problem.One of the things i always loved about the 240 was its absolute black background and complete lack of hiss 

Over the years I have owned numerous DAP's and have had issues with hiss with several and i actually went so far as to return units several times and ultimately change DAP's in order to avoid the dreaded hiss because i listened to IEM's practically all the time.....as a result i feel i am somewhat qualified to pass judgment on hiss or lack of it as i am actually quite sensitive to it and in the case of the Mojo i do not find the hiss to be of any issue for me

Nov 22, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #5,661 of 42,765
Hmm.

Just upgraded my Nexus 5 to the Sony Xperia Z5 mobile phone.  Tidal worked perfectly on the Nexus (OTG cable to the Mojo), but no joy at all with the Z5.

I've loaded UAPP on to the Sony, but get a "Error on initialising USB" when I start up UAPP.  Have also loaded the Onkyo HF Player, but again, that doesn't seem to see the OTG digital out.

Any thoughts on this?  

Would be really grateful for some guidance here.

Thanks

Jerome

Go to usb settings and turn off install software when connected via usb.

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #5,662 of 42,765
Thank 
Go to usb settings and turn off install software when connected via usb.

Ah - thank you!

Yes, that did it.  Although Tidal seems to be streaming only (can't access the offline downloads on my phone).  Will keep on trying but if someone's cracked that one too, please do share?

Jerome

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #5,663 of 42,765
This sounds like a lot of BS. I feel sorry that you never had a silent gear. My first encounter with hiss was many many ears ago with tube amps, that probably was normal. Then I discovered computer music and everything became silent until earlier this year when I got iFi iDSD. It had hiss and lots of people tried to convince me it was normal, but it wasn't. I privately contacted some other owners and their units were silent. I struggeled with my decision, but decided to return my unit and not exchange it. I did not want to take another chance(company knew there was a problem with some units, but never acknowledged it publicly) So I went back to my trusted setup of ODAC -> LakePeople amp, it is dead scilent with any headphones, even at full volume with no signal, just a connection.

To state it again "all amps do have hiss" is a MYTH that defective and poorly designed amps/dacs have. It is up to you if you want to live with it or not.

I know which one I choose - I prefer silent, the only hiss I hear sometimes is the one in a recording, because it was recored on older analog gear and it gives some of them a charm, an example would be "Raising Sand" by Robert Plant with Alison Krauss , but I wouldn't want to hear it all the time, no way.

To put it to you in simple terms, you don't hear energy, but do you think energy has no sound? No, because even at the speed of light there is sound. Just delayed. So for you to say energy, power, electronics or etc has no sound, is a really really ignorant thing to say. If there is pressure, waves will always be created and give it sound. And yes this includes hums, hiss, zaps, dings, hings, bings, whatever you want to call it, there will be sound coming from every electrical component. And hums and hiss mostly come from power during voltage swings and it's inevitable. If there is no hiss or hum, it's like saying there is there is no voltage swing in a amp. I am sorry this had to backfire on you, but this is true.

So for you to say all amps do not hiss or hum if it's top tier, then it's like saying it dosent exist in a form of energy.

All electronics do hiss to an extent.

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #5,664 of 42,765
Also hiss that you are hearing come from high air pressure. you are hearing sound of pressured "air". just like a sound of "wind" you hear pressured by the outer hemisphere, you are hearing air or "hiss" pressured by the Mojo aluminium case etc. Or, you can even compare to sound of pressured air you hear when your in an airplane once you take off. All same thing. This scenerio here most likely be the case, even though voltage swing do create hums and hiss as well.

So there is nothing wrong with your mojo if you hear a little hiss. It's just nature

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #5,665 of 42,765
All electronics do hiss to an extent.

eek.gif

and so do you

Please keep you 'sorry' I'll need it more then I do

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #5,667 of 42,765
JF. now this is complicated to explain but here goes ...
The colours of the balls are sequenced lower range (ball - only active from brown up through all the colours of the rainbow to White while the + ball stays on brown )
That leads on to the mid volume range both balls operating from brown then red then orange etc but they are one point out of step three steps per colour on each ball. so that you can have more precise visual pointers to the level your on.
Then finally the upper visual range is whet the - ball stays on white and the plus ball then sequences up from brown through all the colours of the rainbow. To get the idea it might be easier just to unplug your IEMs and press the - ball until both balls go out then just press the + ball continually and follow the sequence there are about 76 colour steps between the two balls.

I see trees of green, ​
red roses too.....​
....I see skies of blue, ​
And clouds of white......​
...The colors of the rainbow, ​
So pretty in the sky.....​
...Yes, I think to myself, ​
What a wonderful world.....​
...Oh yeah.... (Louis Armstrong)​

Me? I just use touch/feel and press the volume up and down balls and don't pay ​
attention to them colors. All my other head-fi gear volume controls don't have colors.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #5,668 of 42,765
I'm so confused now. If I hear hiss on Mojo that's good - I have excellent hearing and Mojo is operating normally.  If I don't hear hiss on Mojo that's bad - my hearing sucks and my Mojo is dead? 
eek.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #5,669 of 42,765
I'm so confused now. If I hear hiss on Mojo that's good - I have excellent hearing and Mojo is operating normally.  If I don't hear hiss on Mojo that's bad - my hearing sucks and my Mojo is dead? :eek:

It's not good or bad. You also have to consider all have different gear, it also depends on your headphones/ iems, source etc. But from an engineering perspective, many would say it is normal for any electrical devices to have a little hiss and regardless if you can hear it or not, it's there.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #5,670 of 42,765
I concur with people that says that "hiss" (or whatever you want to call it) is only an issue if it distracts you during the playing of music. If you listen to music with lots of very quiet passages or pauses in the music then you will likely be more likely to notice. I personally haven't had any issues with the Mojo, and I listen to all genres of music. Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back