Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 22, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #5,626 of 42,765
I have problem playing the DSD256 files which is gifted by Mojo on my Jriver player. This is the error message that popped out:-

"Something went wrong with playback.
Details:

Playback could not be started on the output "xxxx" using tge format '1.4MHz 2ch'.

This output format may not be supported by your hardware. you can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.
Also, make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options."

xxxx = Kernel Streaming, Asio, Wasabi, Chord 44khz - 768khz Digital Output all will not play the files.

Please kindly help...Thanks!

DSD256 is only supported in DoP format through USB. It's in the Mojo manual:

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/manual/Mojo-User-Manual.pdf

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #5,627 of 42,765
Just so that people are aware all amps do have hiss. It's inevitable. And Mojo should have hiss there as well. Just because you can't detect it dosent mean it's not there, and just because you CAN detect it through your setup does not mean you have a defective product. All electronic will hiss 100%. If you can tolerate it or not upto you but don't go freaking out because you hear a little hiss while in pause between tracks etc. Perfectly normal. Just sayin'.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #5,629 of 42,765
I am not sure how many hours I have used the Mojo for but it is quite considerable. I reckon it has reached prime burn in, not that I am a total believer of that, but it does seem to be better.

I recently sold a batch of my headphones so I could try out some more, which has left me with Audio Technica M50x and Sony MDR-1RNC. I am going to sell the Sony's and keep the M50x. The Sony sound better than the M50x but I don't need noise cancellation and want to try a few new headphones.

I would like an opinion on anyone who is lucky enough to have used the following with the Mojo please. Only comment if used with Mojo as I have read the individual headphone threads :) so really want a guage with those that have used it with the Mojo. My source is an iPhone 6S Plus.

Audeze EL8 (closed or open)
Oppo PM3
Grado SR525e
Shure 1540 or 1840

I have owned the PM3's a long while back and PM2's but don't have either to test with the Mojo.

I am not a major fan of in ears, but wouldnt mind a recommendation.

Saluté

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #5,630 of 42,765
After nearly a month of use I think I have my first problem with the Mojo.  The volume lights are suddenly all over the place, and even turn off at the lowest setting.  The '+' button still turns the sound up, and the '-' button turns it down, and the volume range still seems to be the same from min to max, but the button colours are now different to what they were before for a given volume.  The light sequence also seems to be working backwards.  Has anyone else come across this problem?  I'll be taking it back to the dealer next week.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #5,631 of 42,765
I am not sure how many hours I have used the Mojo for but it is quite considerable. I reckon it has reached prime burn in, not that I am a total believer of that, but it does seem to be better.

I recently sold a batch of my headphones so I could try out some more, which has left me with Audio Technica M50x and Sony MDR-1RNC. I am going to sell the Sony's and keep the M50x. The Sony sound better than the M50x but I don't need noise cancellation and want to try a few new headphones.

I would like an opinion on anyone who is lucky enough to have used the following with the Mojo please. Only comment if used with Mojo as I have read the individual headphone threads :) so really want a guage with those that have used it with the Mojo. My source is an iPhone 6S Plus.

Audeze EL8 (closed or open)
Oppo PM3
Grado SR525e
Shure 1540 or 1840

I have owned the PM3's a long while back and PM2's but don't have either to test with the Mojo.

I am not a major fan of in ears, but wouldnt mind a recommendation.

Saluté

I think recommended pairing for Mojo from Chord Electronic's is the Audioquest Nighthawks. I do remember someone mentioning that over on Hugo thread awhile back but have not heard/read that directly coming from Rob Watts. But I do remember reading Rob Watts (designer of Mojo) say "Nighthawks are wonderful and lovely headphones".

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #5,632 of 42,765
I think recommended pairing for Mojo from Chord Electronic's is the Audioquest Nighthawks. I do remember someone mentioning that over on Hugo thread awhile back but have not heard/read that directly coming from Rob Watts. But I do remember reading Rob Watts (designer of Mojo) say "Nighthawks are wonderful and lovely headphones".

Cheers buddy :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #5,633 of 42,765
After nearly a month of use I think I have my first problem with the Mojo.  The volume lights are suddenly all over the place, and even turn off at the lowest setting.  The '+' button still turns the sound up, and the '-' button turns it down, and the volume range still seems to be the same from min to max, but the button colours are now different to what they were before for a given volume.  The light sequence also seems to be working backwards.  Has anyone else come across this problem?  I'll be taking it back to the dealer next week.

My volume balls turn off at the lowest setting. As regards colour, if you look at the mojo sideways on with looking first at + ball, and with the - ball directly behind, I find the + ball at lower volume settings (when the two balls have different colours) can take on the colour hue of the - ball. It is only when you look at both together from above you can see there is a difference in their colours.

I am not sure your machine is faulty.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #5,634 of 42,765

There has been some talk about Mojo's hiss when silent. We publish the noise output voltage and its 3uV - that's same as an iPhone, and a little bit better than an AK240. With the Shure SE846 (pretty much the most sensitive IEM you can get) the 3uV translates to a noise of 24 dB SPL - and would be the same as the AK240 and the iPhone - but - and this is a big point - Mojo will also deliver over 5V RMS with the noise at 3uV still.

24dB will be audible to some, and not to others, as you naturally hear hiss with IEMs stuck in your ears. My K10's are completely inaudible with Mojo powered or not powered, similarly the ultimate ears UERM. But these devices work out at 6 dB SPL as they are sensibly sensitive.

Rob

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #5,635 of 42,765

There is a finer volume control at the lowest (-70 to -34 dB) and highest (+2 to +18 dB) volumes and in that range the volume button colours change independently. Are you sure you never noticed this before? Perhaps you are just listening at a lower volume than previously.

From my review:

As I mentioned earlier the volume levels have finer resolution than the Hugo and I asked Rob what the volume range is and this is his reply:

“Mojo’s total volume range is -70 dB to +18 dB. The low level range is from -70 dB to -34 dB in two steps per colour change (so each colour has two steps).

Then from +2 dB to +18 dB it’s in one dB step per colour change for the top level range.”

I should point out that in the lower and upper ranges the volume button colours change independently of each other while in the middle range, -34 dB to +2 dB, the volume buttons change colour together.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #5,636 of 42,765
With information from Chord that it should be as silent as an iPhone 6 and AK240 (the unit I borrowed was much, much noisier from a battery-powered source as well as from other digital sources), and corroboration from some that there is little to no noise (ear-dependent of course), we have two possibilities:

1. Mojo doesn't hiss much at all, but a number (probably large) are defective
2. The people that don't hear it simply aren't sensitive to hiss

I reckon it's the latter, but who knows.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #5,638 of 42,765
With information from Chord that it should be as silent as an iPhone 6 and AK240 (the unit I borrowed was much, much noisier from a battery-powered source as well as from other digital sources), and corroboration from some that there is little to no noise (ear-dependent of course), we have two possibilities:

1. Mojo doesn't hiss much at all, but a number (probably large) are defective

2. The people that don't hear it simply aren't sensitive to hiss

I reckon it's the latter, but who knows.

I think it's the latter with an added explanation.

Given that Rob has explained the hiss levels of the mojo, and my knowledge of the human hearing, I think it's also got to do with the individual's threshold for hearing. The medically accepted 'normal' hearing threshold begins anywhere 30db and under. It means that your hearing is considered 'normal' if you can hear 30db tones. However this varies from individual to individual. It is no uncommon too that you can hear sounds only more than 30db, but unless it happens overnight, or you get it checked you probably won't realise it.

Personally, having done an audiogram, My threshold for hearing starts at about 10db across most frequency bands,except at the 8k band where I can hear down to -20db(yes you read that right lol).

So Yeap that's what I think. It's not that you're deaf, or that you have bad ears and don't know what you're hearing, at normal levels you may very well have pretty normal hearing, but your threshold might not start as low as others.

And No Nathan I'm not talking about you when I say 'you' in the above, your ears are sensitive as heck to hiss :p

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,639 of 42,765
Help. I was just listening and suddenly the volume disappeared to a mere whisper. I was listening using my iPhone 6S Plus. I've swapped headphones, powered Mojo and iPhone on and off. Removed cables. Plugged them back in. No joy.

I then plugged another DAC into my iPhone and that worked fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? :frowning2:

Edit. Just tried using my android phone and still no joy. Something has happened with my Mojo :frowning2:

Edit 2. If I increase the volume on the Mojo the whisper becomes a marginally louder whisper.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #5,640 of 42,765

What program are you using - iTunes? If so, the Mojo will display whatever the max frequency you picked in the MIDI program - it won't change with the individual tune....

Quote:

Check the global sample rate from the Audio Midi Setup. It must be set at 192khz.

Yes I'm using iTunes, I went into Audio MIDI Setup and selected Mojo as output, there's a selector on the right for Format: I went through them and the power button did change colours to reflect the rate selected (from 32000.0Hz where the sound became this squeaky distorted tinny mess all the way to 768000.0Hz where it was purple like before. So I should set it to 192000.0Hz and forget about every other setting? I take it that with iTunes it's not possible for the light to change then ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back