Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,696 of 42,765

Great memory.  The original post: post #4033

cool.gif

First Mojo for sale in the FS/FT section, grab it guys save a few bucks.

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,697 of 42,765
There seems to be a great difference of how "shops" operate here in the States and elsewhere. I cannot think of a single store I could go to in the US to trial a Mojo in person. Almost all the audio stores are gone, even for 2-channel. There's the odd place like Stereo Exchange in NYC, but they only carry certain brands, and Chord is not one of them. Living here in Philadelphia, the fifth largest city and the 7th largest metropolitan area in the whole country, there's not a single head-fi shop. Everything here is done over the internet. I'd love to have a shop where I could go and listen, but the only place we can do so is at shows like CanJam. Just a different business model. So when you hear people from the States saying "just order it and try it" you'll understand that's usually our only option. Cheers 

EDIT - Looking more closely it seems that Stereo Exchange might actually carry Chord, but they don't list the Mojo. 

You're absolutely right there. Things are very different in different parts of the world. In Singapore, we have an excess of at least 9 dedicated head Fi stores littered across the country, and considering that Singapore is just over 50km Long, that's an incredibly dense collection of shops. We have just about any head Fi product that you might be interested in for demo, and as such, many of us would very much rather wait to demo a product. There are exceptions of course.

Do also take into account the different cultures in the different countries. I understand that in the bigger western countries, people have been used to buying things from catalogues, but such a sales model would never have worked in my country.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #4,698 of 42,765

Oh yeah, think he was trying with a Note 4.

No idea what the issue is there, it works fine with my Note 4 and several others have reported the same.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #4,699 of 42,765
Anyone looking for a case here's my AK100/Mojo stack with my Noble K-10's and 3.5mm adapter in a Pelican 1040. Cheers

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #4,700 of 42,765
I'm guessing you are referring to myself (it's helpful to address the member you are responding to
wink.gif
)

You can use one band and it won't interfere with the wheel / button operation or the screen. The tighter the band the better it holds the Mojo.

Or you can use the X5 stacking kit I posted pictures of earlier in the thread.

I'll be adding these to the Wiki later, but I'm going to sleep now.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

x Relic x

No disrespect intended, will try to give credit when credit is due !

Thanks for posting the pictures of the X5 and Mojo banded together, wow the Mojo is tiny !

Any chance you have heard the Fiio X7 with a mojo ?

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #4,701 of 42,765
x Relic x

No disrespect intended, will try to give credit when credit is due !

Thanks for posting the pictures of the X5 and Mojo banded together, wow the Mojo is tiny !

Any chance you have heard the Fiio X7 with a mojo ?

No worries, just wanted to make sure you received the appropriate response from who you were asking is all. :wink:

Yes, I tried the X7 with the Mojo briefly and just like the X5 and X5ii the X7 coaxial to the Mojo sounds like the Mojo. This is entirely expected as the digital signal should simply bypass any hardware sound shaping from the DAP, unless using software EQ or any DSP. The X7 dwarfs the Mojo and isn't exactly the best to stack with bands given the large touch screen interface on the X7.

Hope this helps. :)

Size comparisons.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #4,702 of 42,765
No worries, just wanted to make sure you received the appropriate response from who you were asking is all.
wink.gif

Yes, I tried the X7 with the Mojo briefly and just like the X5 and X5ii the X7 coaxial to the Mojo sounds like the Mojo. This is entirely expected as the digital signal should simply bypass any hardware sound shaping from the DAP, unless using software EQ or any DSP. The X7 dwarfs the Mojo and isn't exactly the best to stack with bands given the large touch screen interface on the X7.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Size comparisons.

how about sound stage, this is the thing im most impressed by on the mojo compared to the X7?

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #4,703 of 42,765
how about sound stage, this is the thing im most impressed by on the mojo compared to the X7?

You saying you like the Mojo soundstage more, or are you asking how the soundstage compares between the headphone out from each device?

Nov 10, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #4,704 of 42,765
There seems to be a great difference of how "shops" operate here in the States and elsewhere. I cannot think of a single store I could go to in the US to trial a Mojo in person. Almost all the audio stores are gone, even for 2-channel. There's the odd place like Stereo Exchange in NYC, but they only carry certain brands, and Chord is not one of them. Living here in Philadelphia, the fifth largest city and the 7th largest metropolitan area in the whole country, there's not a single head-fi shop. Everything here is done over the internet. I'd love to have a shop where I could go and listen, but the only place we can do so is at shows like CanJam. Just a different business model. So when you hear people from the States saying "just order it and try it" you'll understand that's usually our only option. Cheers 

EDIT - Looking more closely it seems that Stereo Exchange might actually carry Chord, but they don't list the Mojo. 

Stereo Exchange does carry the Mojo. They have one to demo in the store and have units available to sell. I know since I bought one last week. In fact, the Mojo was introduced to N. America at a big Stereo Exchange event where the Chord rep was there along with others like Audeze, Astell & Kern and many others. And the press was there, John Atkinson of Stereophile and others. Typical big Stereo Exchange event, which they have from time to time. One of the benefits of being in the big city.

Nov 10, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #4,705 of 42,765
Looking back over the Mojo thread just now I came across this week old post from a well known Greek contributor. I will pass no further comment.

too soft of westeners? no. Too well fed? definatlly no. maybe it can be looked as whining and soft talk to greece, but westener see it as product assesment. It's not like the ones who are whining and complaining are returning products, are they? seems to me like they are giving feedback of the product, positive or negative but overall satisfied and purchased full retail. These things chord fix next update or dac, and they have good long time fans of not just mojo, but chord products in gdneral. Maybe Greece like doing business not the soft way, but maybe hard way, like return product if battery don't charge as fast as advertised. But then ofcourse it dosent work soft way - one way. But both ways and you pay 15% restocking plus demo plus shipping fee. you choose?

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #4,706 of 42,765
  There seems to be a great difference of how "shops" operate here in the States and elsewhere. I cannot think of a single store I could go to in the US to trial a Mojo in person. Almost all the audio stores are gone, even for 2-channel.

What I miss are the multi-day home demos that were common 20 years ago with a modest deposit. Thankfully the SF bay area has a number of stores that carry a nice selection of gear that you can at least demo in the store.   I have likely spent >24 hours at Audio High in Mountain View demoing equipment.  Most recently it was simple... a few hours with my iPhone (source) and a HiFI-M8 to compare against the Mojo and Hugo. In the past it was a bit more involve, like a full day when I brought several DACs, my GS-X mk2, a switch box, a Macbook, and a couple pairs of headphones.

Whenever possible I like to demo (ideally blind ABX over an extended period of time) before purchasing. Reviews are moderately helpful... but audio perception is very nuanced and personal. Ultimately you should buy what pleases you. In the last 40 years, I can count on one hand the people whose preferences were a reliable predictor of what I will choice.

I have also noticed that people's (my) expectations can really color their (my) initial assessment of products. This can lead to a echo chamber effect / over hype. I think the Mojo is at risk for this very thing. That's not to say I don't like it. After demoing it, I purchased one. I think it is one of several portable products which surpasses the performance of any portable product available a few years ago, is is  approaching the SQ of high end DACs from several years ago. There are certainly a number of high priced DACs which the Mojo out performs, but there are also (at least to my ears) a number of DACs which are a step above the Mojo. I also think there is at least one portable DAC (the Geek Out V2) which has a better price/performance ratio than the Mojo.

--Mark

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #4,709 of 42,765
Sorry to interrupt your regularly scheduled thread but I just received and ripped the Steven Wilson remix of Yes' 'Fragile' in gloriously, uncompressed 24/96. Stunning!

Now back to the thread.

Have to respond.:D

My favourite band. His remixes are amazing - always clear and the instrument separation is fantastic. I have bought all his Yes remixes so far , just wish they would release Tales from Topographic Oceans.

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4,710 of 42,765
Subscribed :D.

Anyway, anyone that uses mojo with windows, are you guys experience some fade in when using mojo with windows? It's quite annoying somehow, is there any fix for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back