Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 16, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #436 of 42,765
  mmm.....just to clarify: Mojo has THREE, not one, digital inputs - optical in (AK players etc.), USB in (micro usb in for computing devices like cellphones, tablets and laptops/MacBooks) and coaxial in (example Hifiman and iBasso players) . For output, it has an analog line-out (3 Volts line-level output) which has to be activated (through either 3.5 mm headphone out).  Here is the manual of operations:

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/manual/Mojo-User-Manual.pdf

Yep, I got that from the initial leaks.

I'll be driving it off my laptop when at my girlfriends place via USB ... and via Toslink from the AK120, since the AK players only have optical digital outputs (that I know of).

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #437 of 42,765
The ONLY cable that comes in the box is the maleUSB-to-male mini-USB one, pictured in my second post at the start of the thread:

No co-axial cable is included
No optical cable is included

Trying to find best connectivity for my Fiio and iBasso DAPs. The HiFi 75ohm cables I have by QED and Chord company have Phonos at both ends and would require 2 adapters. The shorter more suitable 'DAP coax' leads provided by iBasso and Fiio both have Phono at one end, excellent for Hugo but need a Phono to 3.5 adapter for Mojo. I also have some 3.5 to 3.5 stereo cables for analogue connection to docks, car radio etc, are these usable for digital transmission?

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #438 of 42,765
Comparing AK240 and iPhone 6S+as a transport, both using the Mojo as a DAC - is there any noticeable difference? Because the more I have used the 6S+, the more I feel that it actually sounds better than my AK240, straight out to my Layla and K10. I'd probably be taking a beating on this but I am just being blunt honest on what I hear. I do own way better desktop gear with top end DACs, headphone amps and headphones (LCD3, HE1000, BHSE and SR009 included) so I am pretty sure my hearing or taste is still intact. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #440 of 42,765
  Comparing AK240 and iPhone 6S+as a transport, both using the Mojo as a DAC - is there any noticeable difference? Because the more I have used the 6S+, the more I feel that it actually sounds better than my AK240... 

That could be because of an inferior optical to USB connection. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #442 of 42,765
  I don't usually buy things without hearing them first, but I'm making an exception here (hopefully it won't turn out to be a rash decision) - ordered the Mojo from Moon Audio.

Very interested to see how it sounds, especially out of my AK120 (never really warmed up to that when listened to directly).

Quite a week, audio wise, so far - my Yggdrasil showed up a few minutes ago as well ... time for some Scotch and some music ...

I too have the Yiggy/rag combo the only difference is I am drinking bourbon when I listen to my combo with my HE1000 which is my new favorite can...give the yiggy a couple of days to warm up and you will be quite pleased

I look forward hearing from you :)

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #444 of 42,765
Comparing AK240 and iPhone 6S+as a transport, both using the Mojo as a DAC - is there any noticeable difference? Because the more I have used the 6S+, the more I feel that it actually sounds better than my AK240, straight out to my Layla and K10. I'd probably be taking a beating on this but I am just being blunt honest on what I hear. I do own way better desktop gear with top end DACs, headphone amps and headphones (LCD3, HE1000, BHSE and SR009 included) so I am pretty sure my hearing or taste is still intact. 

If you're going to stack with something like the Mojo, DAPs like the AK240 seem pretty pointless IMO. Might as well use a phone as a transport and save a couple of grand. You'll probably wind up with a much better display and UI into the bargain.

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #445 of 42,765
Storage capacity and easy support for higher resolution files are challenges with phones.

In the iPhone world you're limited to 128Gb, in the Android space, if you're willing to mess about swapping microSD cards you can go bigger, but the serious DAPs can mount almost half a terabyte of storage and retain a fully indexed catalog.  And, if you need more space, you can turn off indexing and swap cards as you need for unlimited capacity.

No argument about the display and user experience or cost savings if you don't need the capacity/convenience though.

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #446 of 42,765
Trying to find best connectivity for my Fiio and iBasso DAPs. The HiFi 75ohm cables I have by QED and Chord company have Phonos at both ends and would require 2 adapters. The shorter more suitable 'DAP coax' leads provided by iBasso and Fiio both have Phono at one end, excellent for Hugo but need a Phono to 3.5 adapter for Mojo. I also have some 3.5 to 3.5 stereo cables for analogue connection to docks, car radio etc, are these usable for digital transmission?
good question, as much as coax is 75ohm, and IIRC line level is 50ohm, surely in the digital realm a patch cable that works, well - works!

I'm not wrong am I? Have some very nice short run 3.5mm line level cables I could drop in :)

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #448 of 42,765
Sure can.
biggrin.gif

It can drive the LCD-4 which is a lot harder to drive than the HE-1000.

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #449 of 42,765
good question, as much as coax is 75ohm, and IIRC line level is 50ohm, surely in the digital realm a patch cable that works, well - works!

I'm not wrong am I? Have some very nice short run 3.5mm line level cables I could drop in
smily_headphones1.gif

We just need to make sure the female port can contact both the ring and sleeve. Or else, we need to short them internally on one of the male jacks.

Something like the jds labs ultra-short IC will be terrific. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back