Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 15, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #406 of 42,765

Yes, you could. But you don't need an external amp – the Mojo is an amp, and a good one at that. Also, an additional amplification stage will just add distortion. It only makes sense for extremely inefficient headphones which the Mojo is unable to drive properly.

And note that any external amp will use the signal from the Mojo's headphone out, so there's nothing to gain except for gain.

yes i understand, so theres no real output straigt from the dac section only. i would like to used the darkvoice tube amp with it thats why i asked :)

Understood. Some people like amps and such...
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #407 of 42,765
  I think I am finally beginning to see the light!
Thanks for your explanation.

Congrat, Black Dog!
beerchug.gif
And welcome to Head-Fi! (Where all your questions will be answered.)

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #408 of 42,765

Congrat, Black Dog!
beerchug.gif
And welcome to Head-Fi! (Where all your questions will be answered.)

This is a remarkable community & treasure trove!

Cheers.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #409 of 42,765
Just picked mine up from Stereo Exchange in Manhattan. I went in just to hear the LCD-4, and the Chord distributer had the Mojo there. The Mojo was able to drive the LCD-4 better than my AK240 could drive my LCD-X. That was pretty much all I needed to hear.

Also according to the distributer, I am the first North American customer with a Mojo in their hands :)

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #410 of 42,765
Just picked mine up from Stereo Exchange in Manhattan. I went in just to hear the LCD-4, and the Chord distributer had the Mojo there. The Mojo was able to drive the LCD-4 better than my AK240 could drive my LCD-X. That was pretty much all I needed to hear.

Also according to the distributer, I am the first North American customer with a Mojo in their hands
smily_headphones1.gif

How did the LCD 4 sound in the combo? 

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #411 of 42,765
I ordered from Moon Audio, can't wait to hear!

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #413 of 42,765
I don't usually buy things without hearing them first, but I'm making an exception here (hopefully it won't turn out to be a rash decision) - ordered the Mojo from Moon Audio.

Very interested to see how it sounds, especially out of my AK120 (never really warmed up to that when listened to directly).

Quite a week, audio wise, so far - my Yggdrasil showed up a few minutes ago as well ... time for some Scotch and some music ...

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #414 of 42,765
  I don't usually buy things without hearing them first, but I'm making an exception here (hopefully it won't turn out to be a rash decision) - ordered the Mojo from Moon Audio.

Very interested to see how it sounds, especially out of my AK120 (never really warmed up to that when listened to directly).

Quite a week, audio wise, so far - my Yggdrasil showed up a few minutes ago as well ... time for some Scotch and some music ...

I'm pairing the Mojo with my AK240 and its such a huge step up I couldn't believe it from something this small.  

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #415 of 42,765
  This should do the job well (Sony WM Port to micro USB) and it's IMHO elegant:

http://world.taobao.com/item/45493617058.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.rxc9GH#detail

This works only with Oppo HA-2. It did not work with HUGO. You need something based off WMC-NWH10, like this.

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #416 of 42,765
Ordering through AVONE?

Or just demo there n order direct? :D

The shipment will only come end October so I'm still thinking get faster at a cost or just wait around.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #418 of 42,765
  Disclaimer: I've heard the Hugo only a couple times at meet and TBH it wasn't anything that really struck a "chord" with me. 
redface.gif

Today I spend only about 15 minutes at lunch with my good friend Purk auditioning the Mojo. The only headphone at my disposal was the hd800. Given the difficulty in driving this headphone, my expectations were not very high. To say that I was taken by surprise would be an understatement. I have heard many very good amps with the hd800 that have come up short to making the hd800 sound musical and engagement. Does the Mojo drive the hd800 to the point of being musical and engaging? Absolutely!! I could hardly believe the richness and wonderful timbre coming from this fussy headphone. 

I went through an assortment of only about five tracks. They all impressed on the Mojo. Now, don't get me wrong. It wasn't perfect. The sound stage was slightly compressed and there was a bit less micro detail than some of the higher end desktop amps that I've used with the hd800. But man, this little portable delivers in a big way. 

That was exactly my experience with the Mojo driving the LCD-4, I was astonished how well it did.  My AK240 pales in comparison.  

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #419 of 42,765
Thanks, Chord, for directing the market to the right direction. Digital products, unlike amps and speakers, improve considerably over time and the price should be adjusted accordingly. The latest and greatest should no doubt still command the highest price, but it is good to see technology used in the last generation being used in lower grade products and the price has come down - unlike another company which churns out new DAPs and special editions like there is no tomorrow, raising the price exponentially each time, and the latest technology they have is what? Dual DAC chips? LOL. Chord DESIGNS its own DAC chips.

It is NOT just putting together some ready-to-go ICs, wrapping a weird-shaped aluminium case on it and making sure it is the most expensive player on the market. We may not be the wisest consumers, but we should at least be able to say "NO" to that kind of scam as opposed to quality, traditional Hi-fi companies like Chord.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #420 of 42,765

I too have the Yiggy/rag combo the only difference is I am drinking bourbon when I listen to my combo with my HE1000 which is my new favorite can...give the yiggy a couple of days to warm up and you will be quite pleased

Users who are viewing this thread

Back