Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 6, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #4,261 of 42,765
I started the Mojo FAQ here: http://www.head-fi.org/a/chord-mojo-faq

Please add to it.  

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #4,262 of 42,765
No. I used the USB C to USB A lead included in the box. Connected that to a USB OTG micro cable and into the Mojo.

I will try tomorrow. Maybe I'm tired and making an error.

You need a USB C to micro B (Amazon).
71a6QAUCA-L._SL1500_.jpg

Alternatively you can use a USB C to USB A female ("OTG like") cable and the Mojo's USB A to micro B (like you would do with a simple OTG cable).
214zXtSsWQL._SL1500_.jpg

You certainly don't want to connect a OTG cable in the Mojo.

Are you sure you don't need an OTG cable in the Mojo?

I tried it using a bi-directional 5 conductor OTG cable, I don't see how it works without it.

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #4,263 of 42,765
There's no more OTG with USB C.

Not true, or at least if true strange then that Google sell C OTG cables on their device store.

Edit: checked the store and they are no longer referring to it as OTG, they were a few weeks ago, I checked for them specifically when the 5X and 6P were announced. A matter of nomenclature I guess, with this connectivity being baked into Type C. Link to the ones Google sell here -https://store.google.com/product/usb_type_c_to_usb_standard_a_adapter

Is that the one you have Gavin? As per tests conducted by one of the Google engineers a lot of type C cables currently being sold do not conform to the standard. The cable you have might be data and charging only?

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #4,265 of 42,765
hi George. if u use 3.5mm interconnect, it is not digital output into Mojo. I would rather output via Optical, which is digital out from your DAC, into the Mojo, and Mojo DAC does its magic.

Quick questions - I'm looking at the DX90 as a transport for my Mojo, a DAP I haven't considered before:
1. Is the DX90 stable?
2. Which wire is recommended for connecting the two?
3. Does the player downsample before passing to Mojo? Or words to that effect lol
Thanks

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #4,266 of 42,765
hi George. if u use 3.5mm interconnect, it is not digital output into Mojo. I would rather output via Optical, which is digital out from your DAC, into the Mojo, and Mojo DAC does its magic.

Hi,

Yes that's why it's kinda confusing. Obviously with a Mojo, I'd want it to receive digital in and the problem seems to be that for co-axials out from budget/mid-priced DAPs, there's a little bit of knowledge seeking.

Optical seems to be the way to go though it doesn't push the envelope all the way as co-axials. Another way is of course USB OTG but I don't wish tho use an Android phone at the moment, so I'll probably look for an Android DAP.

Thanks again.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #4,267 of 42,765

Coaxial output in DAPs including DX90 is digital. Athough it transmit voltages like an analog output it's still in digital domain. The use of a regular 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo interconnect will work as suggested but is not ideal due to lack of shielding.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #4,268 of 42,765

The signal is not being output as analogue. Copper is copper and the biggest difference when using a 3.5mm 75 Ohm coaxial cable is the shielding. It would not work with the Mojo AT ALL if the signal was not digital being passed through. All sample rates work as expected through the 3.5mm interconnect. Coaxial output from the DAPs is digital. Coaxial input on the Mojo is digital. Quite simply the Mojo is doing all the magic or it won't work at all, there's no in between.

Honestly, digital out means digital out. No need to muddy the waters with confusing mis-information.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #4,269 of 42,765
Are you sure you don't need an OTG cable in the Mojo?

I tried it using a bi-directional 5 conductor OTG cable, I don't see how it works without it.

What makes a cable OTG is the way the ID pin (pin 4) of the micro USB connector is connected. When that pin is connected to GND, the device to which it's connected becomes the host and the other end of the cable (pin 4 either absent - in the case of a full size connector, A or B - or unconnected) the peripheral.
You want the Mojo to be a peripheral to your phone (the host), so you don't want to connect an OTG micro USB connector to it!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ti.com/lit/wp/slly017/slly017.pdf&ved=0CHkQFjAOahUKEwivs_6Sw_3IAhUDqh4KHSjNDYg&usg=AFQjCNFvH1pYgRByc_-ZhZ39jU88rA76zg&sig2=j_ef5Ps_Hwl5GhArzMzmcg

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #4,270 of 42,765
What is comparable to the Mojo Dac? Since I'm familiar with Schiit Gear: Bifrost Uber or Bifrost Multibit, or Gungnir Multibit? 

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #4,272 of 42,765
Still struggling to get together something to connect my X3ii to the Mojo.

I found my cable like this which came with the X3ii. Now... i need to find something to plug into the other end. But searching on Amazon , etc yields options with 2 and 3 RCA connectors only. Can anyone help me with a link to a single RCA male at one end and whatever is needed to plug into the dig in coax for the MOJO.

This whole cabling issue is a minefield for the uninitiated :)

Thanks in advance! I'm going crazy!

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #4,273 of 42,765
  Still struggling to get together something to connect my X3ii to the Mojo.

I found my cable like this which came with the X3ii. Now... i need to find something to plug into the other end. But searching on Amazon , etc yields options with 2 and 3 RCA connectors only. Can anyone help me with a link to a single RCA male at one end and whatever is needed to plug into the dig in coax for the MOJO.

This whole cabling issue is a minefield for the uninitiated :)

Thanks in advance! I'm going crazy!

maybe i've found it..would this be right? ( edit - Just noticed this is female also on the rca end :frowning2: - would need ANOTHER connector to adapt male-male... grrrrr!)

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #4,274 of 42,765
Coaxial - Connect using coaxial to an external DAC, to allow DX90 as digital transport.

It is written in the manual.

If you use the 3.5mm output or the Line Out, you are sending analogue signals out of the DX90, usually this goes into an amp, i.e. ALO CDM, to boost the analog signal or sometimes 'color' it.

The magic of MOJO is the DAC, so i will only send digital in. and also MOJO has Coaxial input, Optical input and USB input only. No 3.5mm analog inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back