Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #40,936 of 42,788
Is the Mojo Chord suitable for intensive use of even 7-8 hours a day?

Does full recharge take 8 hours? I also read that the battery often dies after a year, is that true?

Are there emi and interference with smartphone use?

I can get a used one for a few months for € 250, alternatively I am considering above all Topping NX4 DSD and Lotoo Paw S1, which cost around € 140.

Compared to these two, would the Mojo be a big upgrade?

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #40,937 of 42,788
sure
I'm not particularly advocate of choosing gears by measures , quite the opposite ( by ears ) , sorry it was just a casual comment about finding noises in expensive gears or the supposedly perceived audio effect of them..
the mojo is not that expensive too
About how you choose gear: same thing here, and IMO the mojo has a really well deserved spot in the hall of fame of audio.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #40,938 of 42,788
Is the Mojo Chord suitable for intensive use of even 7-8 hours a day?

Does full recharge take 8 hours? I also read that the battery often dies after a year, is that true?

Are there emi and interference with smartphone use?

I can get a used one for a few months for € 250, alternatively I am considering above all Topping NX4 DSD and Lotoo Paw S1, which cost around € 140.

Compared to these two, would the Mojo be a big upgrade?
Haven’t tried the topping, but the mojo does sound way better than the ltp s1

imc I bought used for around 280 bucks, though battery life is quite crappy, im struggling to keep it up. I tried a battery supplier that was recommended here, though their answer was rather crappy “we don’t ship international” that was it. As a business owner whenever I get a response like that I imagine they must be swamped in sales and work, since for me every sale counts and every customer experience is valued

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #40,939 of 42,788
@AlexCBSN it is the only portable unit that I had that I'd call hi-end or so ( in life : as in my review I just listed the portables that I have now ) . Or that have an hi-end kind of sound . Why? because such timbrical hi-fidelity on so many instruments ( is it orchestra or jazz or rock bands ) is a matter of carefully designed full units usually .
I didnt find it in portables until the Mojo.
It compares well with full units too imo , then it is also personal preference and headphones synergy : it doesn't pair very well with warmly tuned or bassy cans -not as much as with neutral or brighter pairs - Just an example , my ears , etc
Or the pace / prat is engaging and deep but not snappy-fast ..to say, there are different tastes and different headphones users will eventually not seek timber fidelity on portability , but enjoy music on the go for other aspects ( i.e. ultra-portability , wireless use , invadent bass slam , just to name some aspects ; that is why someone else will chose something else )

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #40,940 of 42,788
Haven’t tried the topping, but the mojo does sound way better than the ltp s1

imc I bought used for around 280 bucks, though battery life is quite crappy, im struggling to keep it up. I tried a battery supplier that was recommended here, though their answer was rather crappy “we don’t ship international” that was it. As a business owner whenever I get a response like that I imagine they must be swamped in sales and work, since for me every sale counts and every customer experience is valued
How long does your battery last? So is it difficult to get a new one? Is only the original battery okay or are there other compatible ones?

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #40,941 of 42,788
On Aliexpress you can buy a battery for around $22 for the Mojo that works. I have tested it out! Only problem is that it is only 1500 mAh, so it only gives around 4,5 hours of battery life!! But this battery is half the size of the original, so I believe it is possible to place two of them in the case and run them parallel (with the correct adapter or cable) and voltage would stay the same and the battery life will double to 8-9 hours. Similar to a new original battery. The only company that I know of right now and that has an original battery in stock. Is here in the US, the Cable company and they charge around $70

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #40,942 of 42,788
Is the Mojo Chord suitable for intensive use of even 7-8 hours a day? - yes

Does full recharge take 8 hours? - yes

I also read that the battery often dies after a year, is that true? - no. It dies quickest if you leave the Mojo on charge 24h/day, but used sensibly batteries do not die 'often' - the number of posts about failed batteries is still only a small percentage, given that the number of shipped Mojos is in 6 figures. .

Are there emi and interference with smartphone use? - yes, but it is worst with iphones, and if your phone network is using 2G.

Compared to these two, would the Mojo be a big upgrade? Read the posts at the start of this thread. Many are about owners who wanted to buy a cheap dac, but went to a dealer out of curiosity, in order to demo a Mojo. Most of them left the shop with a Mojo.
You are the best person to demo those three dacs, and make your own judgement.

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #40,943 of 42,788
@miketlse posts at the beginning of the thread are from 2015 and 2016 ... in my opinion there has been a marked increase in performance in recent years from cheaper dacs / amps ... but the problem wouldn't even be the cost of the Mojo , but having to stay behind a battery which, according to what I have read, takes hours and hours to fully recharge and often dies after a short time ...

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #40,944 of 42,788
@miketlse posts at the beginning of the thread are from 2015 and 2016 ... in my opinion there has been a marked increase in performance in recent years from cheaper dacs / amps ... but the problem wouldn't even be the cost of the Mojo , but having to stay behind a battery which, according to what I have read, takes hours and hours to fully recharge and often dies after a short time ...
Fair enough, it is your wallet and choice.

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #40,945 of 42,788

Another option (though less convenient) is to remove the battery altogether and use an external battery pack with 5V USB output. This also alleviates the heat issue affecting the internal battery's life expectancy.

Jan 14, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #40,946 of 42,788
On Aliexpress you can buy a battery for around $22 for the Mojo that works. I have tested it out! Only problem is that it is only 1500 mAh, so it only gives around 4,5 hours of battery life!! But this battery is half the size of the original, so I believe it is possible to place two of them in the case and run them parallel (with the correct adapter or cable) and voltage would stay the same and the battery life will double to 8-9 hours. Similar to a new original battery. The only company that I know of right now and that has an original battery in stock. Is here in the US, the Cable company and they charge around $70

$43
https://www.audioadvice.com/chord-electronics-factory-replacement-battery-for-chord-mojo.html

Jan 14, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #40,947 of 42,788
Jan 14, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #40,948 of 42,788
Another option (though less convenient) is to remove the battery altogether and use an external battery pack with 5V USB output. This also alleviates the heat issue affecting the internal battery's life expectancy.
I disagree.
I am aware many have done this, some even replaced the battery with super-capacitors .
Firstly, the battery does not die that quickly! many can tell you of over two years of everyday use, before battery starts to dwindle.
battery is an Li-ion type, just like the ones in mobile phones, and the lifespan is similar too.
the only issue is that Chord has neglected to offer a battery replacement at a reasonable cost.
Secondly, Mojo works on 7.4 volts, but usb power is 5 volts - Mojo does a DC.to.DC upscale to provide about 8 volts to recharge the battery. without a battery inside to absorb the noise from the upscaler , it gets into trouble. Also the battery provides a very low impedance power source, without it, the charging circuit is not up to the task - that's why using super-capacitors is a good compromise .
lastly, Mojo can operate and charge at the same time, which is a reasonable compromise to its slong charging time.
Mine is over one year old, and I get a good 6-7 hours before I charge it, probably can manage another 30 minutes or hour, but I do not go that far.
remember, this type of battery has a longer life, if kept within 40% and 80% charge. so don't let it die, if you can help it.

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #40,949 of 42,788
I disagree.
I am aware many have done this, some even replaced the battery with super-capacitors .
Firstly, the battery does not die that quickly! many can tell you of over two years of everyday use, before battery starts to dwindle.
battery is an Li-ion type, just like the ones in mobile phones, and the lifespan is similar too.
the only issue is that Chord has neglected to offer a battery replacement at a reasonable cost.
Secondly, Mojo works on 7.4 volts, but usb power is 5 volts - Mojo does a DC.to.DC upscale to provide about 8 volts to recharge the battery. without a battery inside to absorb the noise from the upscaler , it gets into trouble. Also the battery provides a very low impedance power source, without it, the charging circuit is not up to the task - that's why using super-capacitors is a good compromise .
lastly, Mojo can operate and charge at the same time, which is a reasonable compromise to its slong charging time.
Mine is over one year old, and I get a good 6-7 hours before I charge it, probably can manage another 30 minutes or hour, but I do not go that far.
remember, this type of battery has a longer life, if kept within 40% and 80% charge. so don't let it die, if you can help it.
Great info! My original Mojo battery from 2016.. was still performing well in 2021, albeit only 4-5 hours battery time left. I rarely let it run completely out of charge. I just needed more battery life and was worried about Mojo batteries would eventually fade away from the market way before the Mojo! The new battery from Cable company that I installed.. gives me back the original 8-9 hours of battery life, just tested with various lossless/high res. files and ca. 60 impedance. So I feel that rejuvenated another 4-5 years to my Mojo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back