Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #40,846 of 42,788
... funny detail... i own an xduoo xd05 and i have the bluetooth module... i shall call it: Molly...

cant afford a 600usd poly unit right now, but the bluetooth with ldac and coaxial output from this is quite outstanding
You maybe interested in this:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xduoo-05bl-pro-with-chord-mojo.24752/

BTW
did you mean RFI noise?
since the case is mafe from solid metal, it forms a "faraday cage", so it is shielded on the inside, the USB cable may pickup and carry some RFI - but I have never encountered any.
My DIY USB cable:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-cable-gallery.71148/post-15939991
Perhaps my cheap Huawei phone, is better shielded than the rest!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #40,847 of 42,788
HAs anyone tried to put some EFI shielding on this in the insides? efi is quite evident (not as bad as with my ltp s1)
Some phones (especially iPhones) were notorious for producing RFI.
I think @Rob Watts identified the root cause as one of the 2G signal pulses.
However the use of 2G has decreased a lot, since the Mojo launched, so it is now much rarer to hear the issue of RFI raised.

I don't remember reading about any owners lining their cases with shielding, but @psikey did have success by placing a thin sheet of soft iron inside his protective case.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-12591852

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #40,848 of 42,788
got a unit for 400 usd aprox (390) really well cared, first impressions:

theres a reason this dac is still relevant... it definitely has something, the organic sound signature, the headroom, this definitely can become easily my end game.

i paired it with my iphone using tidal, it works wonders, im totally impressed... funny detail... i own an xduoo xd05 and i have the bluetooth module... i shall call it: Molly...

cant afford a 600usd poly unit right now, but the bluetooth with ldac and coaxial output from this is quite outstanding

will post more, though i have a bunch of questions like battery life, where to get a new battery, HAs anyone tried to put some EFI shielding on this in the insides? efi is quite evident (not as bad as with my ltp s1) TBH im stunned by the sound of this device, it impresses me so much, the bass on JVC FDX01... THIS THINGS HAD NO BASS!!! the headroom and the current output its impressive, i even regret ordering the e1da 9038 s3 susumu 3000 and the ddhifi tc44b for christmas... for on the go, those were my solutions, the mojo came to change my perspective of on the go audio
What are the effects of the RFI you are hearing?

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #40,849 of 42,788
You maybe interested in this:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/xduoo-05bl-pro-with-chord-mojo.24752/

BTW
did you mean RFI noise?
since the case is mafe from solid metal, it forms a "faraday cage", so it is shielded on the inside, the USB cable may pickup and carry some RFI - but I have never encountered any.
My DIY USB cable:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-cable-gallery.71148/post-15939991
Perhaps my cheap Huawei phone, is better shielded than the rest!
yeah, i plugged in the bluetooth attachment, i would like to do the whole mod like you did, but with lock down i cannot source cable nor want to test my luck unless i have a second bluetooth unit (which im going to order)

I'll be posting but seriously with the bl05 this thing is a steal.
However the use of 2G has decreased a lot, since the Mojo launched, so it is now much rarer to hear the issue of RFI raised.

I don't remember reading about any owners lining their cases with shielding, but @psikey did have success by placing a thin sheet of soft iron inside his protective case.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/post-12591852
I'll check it out, yeah i have an iphone x and its not exactly quiet, my ltp s1 was unbearable at the beggining, ill check out the iron piece.

What are the effects of the RFI you are hearing?

Just interference noise, random cracklings and white noise but only when im not playing music or in between tracks.

Man, i cant put this thing down, even my beloved wm1a is looking at me like "so... are we like... hanging out or something...? whodat? WHOS THAT!?? What ya doing yo!? morning coffee time is supposed to be our time!!"

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #40,850 of 42,788
Man, i cant put this thing down, even my beloved wm1a is looking at me like "so... are we like... hanging out or something...? whodat? WHOS THAT!?? What ya doing yo!? morning coffee time is supposed to be our time!!"

Let your 1A know you will be back. I own both and each can do something the other doesn’t and end up complementing each other

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #40,852 of 42,788
I'll be putting my Mojo up for sale in the next week or two. Perfect condition other than the battery is pretty much dead.

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #40,853 of 42,788

For the life in me, I can not understand why on earth would anyone want to strap their DACs to their phones??
It is so impractical!
A longer cable has the following advantages:
- can keep the phone in one pocket, and the DAC in another.
- Can take the phone out and choose tracks or your email while on a longer lead
- keeps the DAC away from the phone and RFI
- Perhaps not on a Mojo or similar chunky DACs but on smaller ones, the DAC can be clipped on your shirt or coat.

A short cable has too many disadvantages, one of which is the RFI and no advantages, so why on earth?
did I mention it is ugly too ...

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #40,855 of 42,788
For the life in me, I can not understand why on earth would anyone want to strap their DACs to their phones??
It is so impractical!
A longer cable has the following advantages:
- can keep the phone in one pocket, and the DAC in another.
- Can take the phone out and choose tracks or your email while on a longer lead
- keeps the DAC away from the phone and RFI
- Perhaps not on a Mojo or similar chunky DACs but on smaller ones, the DAC can be clipped on your shirt or coat.

A short cable has too many disadvantages, one of which is the RFI and no advantages, so why on earth?
did I mention it is ugly too ...
Remember that Mojo will have been designed in 2014 or earlier, and all of us wHo joined the thread in the early days, started with phones and cables. But such phones were 'of their era' and most owners seemed to migrate to using a wired dap or phone or streamer using wifi as a source.

Dec 25, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #40,856 of 42,788
Remember that Mojo will have been designed in 2014 or earlier, and all of us wHo joined the thread in the early days, started with phones and cables. But such phones were 'of their era' and most owners seemed to migrate to using a wired dap or phone or streamer using wifi as a source.
Be it a DAP or a phone, once you use a wired DAC, my observation is the same.
I actually do not see any point in a DAP being connected to a wired DAC also!
Any cheap second hand Android phone with a large SD card, and a software player will do the same job or better.
Will cost less, looks better too.
just don't put a sum card in!

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #40,857 of 42,788
Be it a DAP or a phone, once you use a wired DAC, my observation is the same.
I actually do not see any point in a DAP being connected to a wired DAC also!
Any cheap second hand Android phone with a large SD card, and a software player will do the same job or better.
Will cost less, looks better too.
just don't put a sum card in!

Just because you don't understand doesn't mean it's pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back